Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Striking essential services

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

For all those "there's a recession on" folks, chew on this: 70% of workers wages remain unchanged. In some areas, workers got bonuses (in the banks).

The unemployment has mostly hit the young, the unskilled, and construction sector workers. The pay cuts have mostly impacted the public service. While the govt was 'responding' to the snow, nurses and doctors (public service) stayed overnight in hospitals so that they could work the next day, and council workers (public service) were out shovelling and gritting at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

<Ollie> wrote: »

I never said it does, but it does in this instance.

How do you know that?

Or do you KNOW?

For all those "there's a recession on" folks, chew on this: 70% of workers wages remain unchanged. In some areas, workers got bonuses (in the banks).

The unemployment has mostly hit the young, the unskilled, and construction sector workers. The pay cuts have mostly impacted the public service. While the govt was 'responding' to the snow, nurses and doctors (public service) stayed overnight in hospitals so that they could work the next day, and council workers (public service) were out shovelling and gritting at night.

You are wrong, senior management, bankers, developers and politicians saved the country. This is another public sector lie. Don't you know the public sector are overpaid scum?

Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

dresden8, I have one word for you: PPARS

OK, here's another two: electronic voting machines

Sorry, feeding the troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

dresden8 wrote: »
    How do you know that?

Or do you KNOW?

I know because I heard an expert discussing it today on the radio. Anyway, I won't be entertaining you anymore as you appear to be very childish tbh..

dresden8, I have one word for you: PPARS

OK, here's another two: electronic voting machines

Sorry, feeding the troll.

That's PPARS that was brought in by private contractors?

In the late 90's the public sector had quite respectable IT systems, hell even Social Welfare had their Y2K project lodged in the Smithsonian as a shining example of how to handle computer projects.

This expertise was thrown away on the PD and FF vanity project to show that nothing was worth doing unless some private sector fat cnt was making a huge amount of money out of it.

10 years later public sector IT divisions are over-run with fat-cnt consultants fncking everything up. Locking themselves into long term "support" contracts, all signed off by Ministers that have bought into the privatisation project.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/computimes/1999/0412/99041200042.html

No, seriously, the address is

www.google.ie

Really, I can't do it myself, a touch of research by you overly opinionated tossers would help just a little bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Shower of overpaid animals the lot of them

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0120/airport.html

In a statement, the IAA said the average controller earned a total of €160,000, with the top 10% earning up to €230,000.

Whats that all about, strining on those wages and conditions, outsource the fookers

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

That's PPARS that was brought in by private contractors?

In the late 90's the public sector had quite respectable IT systems, hell even Social Welfare had their Y2K project lodged in the Smithsonian as a shining example of how to handle computer projects.

This expertise was thrown away on the PD and FF vanity project to show that nothing was worth doing unless some private sector fat cnt was making a huge amount of money out of it.

10 years later public sector IT divisions are over-run with fat-cnt consultants fncking everything up. Locking themselves into long term "support" contracts, all signed off by Ministers that have bought into the privatisation project.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/computimes/1999/0412/99041200042.html

No, seriously, the address is

www.google.ie

Really, I can't do it myself, a touch of research by you overly opinionated tossers would help just a little bit.

Eh....ok.

So, how 'bout these planes not flying at the airport? I hear it's something to do with Air Traffic Controllers!

Any chance we could stay slightly on topic? Leave the public/private bullsh!t out of it.

Hockney wrote: »
    Any chance we could stay slightly on topic? Leave the public/private bullsh!t out of it.

Tell that to every media outlet that's covering it.

Tell Michael O'Leary to cut it out as well.

Plus I'd like to point out, I didn't bring up those points, I'm only answering them.

Take out your confusion with JuliusCaesar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

for certain unskilled jobs that are open to exploitation , I would gladly support industrial action - striking should be a last resort though, but today it is the people (well paid already) in control of key services - ESB engineers, Consultant Doctors and the like, who can utilise strikes for their own selfish gain - while the majority would get sacked if they went on strike ,whilst working in much worse conditions (in particular financial)

I see that Dempsey proposed that key workers should be prohibited from striking.

I somehow doubt he also proposed that key workers should be prohibited from taking holidays at time of national crisis.

Hypocritical cnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I see that Dempsey proposed that key workers should be prohibited from striking.

I somehow doubt he also proposed that key workers should be prohibited from taking holidays at time of national crisis.

Hypocritical cnt.

i hope he comes out with the same crap that the IAA were regarding the amount of hours the controllers do that would be some can of worms opening on his behalf(regarding the hrs TD,s sit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

there is no denying its stressful work but they are amply compensated.
    Strike action because they have to learn and use some new software or whatever is completely over the top - aren't workers in all jobs having to constantly adapt to new systems/work practises etc for no additional re-imbursement- whats so different here?

but is it dangerous as was mooted earlier in this thread? - remember what happened to this guy:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article582890.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not as clued in as the Eire readers: This is about New Equipment and training, isnt it.

In which case, they can fcuk off. I would regard changes as part of the job. I may be surprised by the answer [Dear God No] but would you expect FAS to go on strike because someone upgraded all of their PCs to Windows 7 or something? Ridiculous.

Its not like im going to Work to Rule because my boss asks me to help him prepare tax returns.

Help I need an article before I continue talking out my ass!

there is no denying its stressful work but they are amply compensated.
    Strike action because they have to learn and use some new software or whatever is completely over the top - aren't workers in all jobs having to constantly adapt to new systems/work practises etc for no additional re-imbursement- whats so different here?

but is it dangerous as was mooted earlier in this thread? - remember what happened to this guy:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article582890.ece

we have got to look beyond the software issue sometimes new systems come in that work and sometimes they dont i have seen companies implement new systems without asking the staff that would be operating them and see them fail.
    as for the ATCO that was murdered after the mid air collision i was privy at the time to the full accident report it was very sad and the pressure on the controller was immense.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Im not as clued in as the Eire readers: This is about New Equipment and training, isnt it.

Not entirely, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

I would regard changes as part of the job. I may be surprised by the answer [Dear God No] but would you expect FAS to go on strike because someone upgraded all of their PCs to Windows 7 or something? Ridiculous.

Well according to IMPACT the only reason there's disruption (nobody was working for 4 hours, but ssshhhh it's not a strike) is because the IAA suspended some employees.

http://www.impact.ie/iopen24/-t-509.html

Conveniently, IMPACT don't make any reference as to why they've been suspended.

More conveniently, neither do those seemingly in the know on here.

Any questions asked about changes to work practices introduced, what the new technology involves, have been answered here along the lines of "You're full of sh1t, so I'm ignoring you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If people want the privilege of working in critical service monopolies, they shouldn't have the right to strike. If this was privatised and there were competing alternative operators, they can strike all they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

would you expect FAS to go on strike because someone upgraded all of their PCs to Windows 7 or something?

I doubt that they'd even notice.

Not entirely, no.

Ok, it's about new equipment, training & more money.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    If people want the privilege of working in critical service monopolies, they shouldn't have the right to strike. If this was privatised and there were competing alternative operators, they can strike all they want.
    how would that work? its not like switching from sky to say ntl or esb to bord gais.

Hockney wrote: »
    Well according to IMPACT the only reason there's disruption (nobody was working for 4 hours, but ssshhhh it's not a strike) is because the IAA suspended some employees.

http://www.impact.ie/iopen24/-t-509.html

Conveniently, IMPACT don't make any reference as to why they've been suspended.

More conveniently, neither do those seemingly in the know on here.

Any questions asked about changes to work practices introduced, what the new technology involves, have been answered here along the lines of "You're full of sh1t, so I'm ignoring you".

You're the most full of sh1t so I'm ignoring you the most, you're counting your own lack of engagement as a victory for those who refuse to engage. You're a tool. and, yes, we should refuse to engage with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    How the hell are we supposed to attract foreign investment when we have crap like this going on?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/consumers-warned-not-to-eat-irish-pork-products-1056538.html

Tax payer has forked out almost €100,000,000 thus far in compo !!

You're the most full of sh1t so I'm ignoring you the most, you're counting your own lack of engagement as a victory for those who refuse to engage. You're a tool. and, yes, we should refuse to engage with you.

Reaching new levels of reasoned argument on boards.ie

what has that link got to do with the ATCO dispute

Probably to do with workers are paying for managment fnck ups and any workers who dare to speak up are scum who are trying to destroy our "internatinal reputation" by looking to be paid for work.

Apparently working for free is the new black. Ironically.

In the interest of informed opinion - the ATCO dispute is only a small part of the inept management of this country in the past two years. And with informed opinion, maybe we will get less people on higher horses than the ones they call muppets - especially when they comment on an industry they have absolutely no experience of.

In the interest of informed opinion - the ATCO dispute is only a small part of the inept management of this country in the past two years. And with informed opinion, maybe we will get less people on higher horses than the ones they call muppets - especially when they comment on an industry they have absolutely no experience of.
    from reading through alot of the posts here people are resorting to the red top rags for there information&MOL me i worked in the industry and have a fair idea whats involved to be an ATCO

maybe we will get less people on higher horses than the ones they call muppets - especially when they comment on an industry they have absolutely no experience of.

I've never played professional soccer, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the relative merits of a footballer.

Advertisement