Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to check a HD for errors?

• 20-01-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I used a back up program just today to back up my hard drive to an external drive. Both are 500GB but the program I use only backs up the data in use and I've excluded the path of one folder which contains files already on the external HD. The backup file is 42GB.

During the backup process, I got 1 error stating:

"Failed to read data from the disk. Failed to read from the sector 856,467,143 of the hard disk" Retry/Ignore/Ignore All/Cancel.

I clicked retry and the same error popped up, clicked it again and it popped up again so I clicked ignore and it continued the back up until I got a 2nd error stating:

"Failed to read data from the disk. Failed to read from the sector 881,807,951 of the hard disk" Retry/Ignore/Ignore All/Cancel.

I also just looked at a previous log from the last backup in November and I see the same sector 856,467,143 reporting a failed read.

I had clicked retry a few times back then too with it popping up again each time.

So after ignoring the two errors on today's back up, it completed successfully, as it did back in November after ignoring the same 856,467,143 error.

So I'm just wondering, is this a fault with the HD? Is it likely to get worse since today's backup returned two errors? What are the chances of the whole backup file being corrupt and unusable due to these errors?

Would really appreciate any feedback on this and the best course of action to take :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

go the the website of your HD manufacture and download and run their diagnostic software. If you dont know who made your HD, go into mycomputer and right click on the HD that you think is going bad and select porpertys. under the hardware tab is should give you a list of you installed HDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Download HDTUNE and run the health check on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Im 8y technician to myself and to others... so do this...
    go to start, if u have xp press Run, if u have vista, type on the bottom cmd and press enter..

than, when dos pops up, type chkdsk and press enter...
    he will do everything by himself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I ran the WD diagnostic tool on the HD and it passed :confused: I find that quite strange since it's given the same error when backing up! It's a 500GB HD I bought separate to the laptop so I'd really prefer not to have to replace it and go through all the hassle. So I wonder am I safe enough to just go by the test result of "pass"?

Also, I wonder is the error on the backup going to cause any problems if I ever have to ghost a replacement drive from the backup file?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

run a scan on the laptop HD and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sorry, I meant that I ran the scan on the laptop HD and it passed, even though it has given me errors while trying to back it up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Erper wrote: »
    Im 8y technician to myself and to others... so do this...
    go to start, if u have xp press Run, if u have vista, type on the bottom cmd and press enter..

than, when dos pops up, type chkdsk and press enter...
    he will do everything by himself...

Eight years ehh? Do you think that by implying he runs a check disk but by ignoring the actual command syntax like "chkdsk E: /r" you leave him wondering why it doesn't work. Sub standard information to be honest.

Cormie, open up "My Computer". Right click on the external drive, go to properties. Open the tools tab, in error checking click on "check now". Tick both box's and click start.

It should find the damaged sector, try to repair it and index the sector as damaged so its not used again.

Eight years ehh? Do you think that by implying he runs a check disk but by ignoring the actual command syntax like "chkdsk E: /r" you leave him wondering why it doesn't work. Sub standard information to be honest.

Cormie, open up "My Computer". Right click on the external drive, go to properties. Open the tools tab, in error checking click on "check now". Tick both box's and click start.

It should find the damaged sector, try to repair it and index the sector as damaged so its not used again.

by doin chkdsk u will fix disk where is ur windows..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

OP, don't trust that drive with anything important whatever the results of your tests. It's likely to let you down.

RT66 wrote: »
    OP, don't trust that drive with anything important whatever the results of your tests. It's likely to let you down.

probably, but for case, check disk with command...
    and btw... how old is that disk

• Advertisement

by doin chkdsk u will fix disk where is ur windows..

By doing chkdsk without proper command syntax it fix's nothing, like pretty much every DOS program.
    RT66 wrote: »

I wouldn't trust it, but considering he is doing a back up of it its not a major issue. Its not uncommon for sectors of drives to become corrupted, its only when its on a large scale that its a significant indication of drive failure.

By doing chkdsk without proper command syntax it fix's nothing, like pretty much every DOS program.

I wouldn't trust it, but considering he is doing a back up of it its not a major issue. Its not uncommon for sectors of drives to become corrupted, its only when its on a large scale that its a significant indication of drive failure.

i like smart guys...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

20080720110824!Chkdsk_screenshot.png

Chkdsk_screenshot.png

i like smart guys...

So your a self hater then? I've put the important bit in bold.

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> chkdsk /?
    Checks a disk and displays a status report.

CHKDSK [volumepath]filename] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X]
    [/C] [/L[:size]] [/B]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
    mount point, or volume name.
    filename FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to check for fragmentation
    /F Fixes errors on the disk.
    /V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file
    on the disk.
    On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
    /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
    (implies /F).

/L:size NTFS only: Changes the log file size to the specified number
    of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current
    size.
    /X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
    All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid
    (implies /F).
    /I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
    /C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder
    structure.
    /B NTFS only: Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume
    (implies /R)

The /I or /C switch reduces the amount of time required to run Chkdsk by
    skipping certain checks of the volume.
    [/I]

• Registered Users Posts: 15 commander cool

I have to agree with Cuddlesworth. Without any paramater it does nothing but check the integrity of the drive, it will tell you if there are issues with the drive but it will not repair sectors etc.

Advertisement