Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The word "god"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Oh, of course.

"God" is the name of the Christian god, that's my point.

However, all the "Him" crap, I consider ridiculous.

Well of course he's a 'him', since HE was invented by men for men, in an age where, let's be honest, women were roughly on a par with pigs.

PS wicknight, sometimes is all one word.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

"God" is the name of the Christian deity, it's a proper noun.

It's proper billix. The Xtians are welcome to torture the language all they want but to me god=fairy or unicorn and requires no special treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Malty_T wrote: »
    Out of respect, I capitalise both Him and God. I don't like to give theists a reason to rationalise their frustration and detract from the discussion. I make compromises every way I can to further the actual debate. Stirring up your opponent is fun, but it's not going to get you anywhere.:)

I'm not one for irritating people just for the sake of it (it does just detract from any useful argument that might be made), but there are limits to the extent I will pander around someones high held opinions. The way I see it is that someone in a religious argument who starts attacking the way you right "god" or "he" (when referring to god) has automatically lost the argument in the same way someone who starts attacking someones grammar and spelling has lost an argument. The reason for them doing this is not that they are distracted by the "disrespect" or poor grammar, its that they want to distract from an argument you have made that they cant answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

just call him yahweh to confuse her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Helix wrote: »
    just call him yahweh to confuse her

There is the Judo-Christian 'God', but Christians wouldn't use Yahweh. Did his name change? Maybe he evolved, like a pokémon, their names always change then.

Advertisement