Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I have 2 monitors now...

Options
  • 20-01-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have two monitors now and they are sitting side by side. I Just need another power cable to plug the old one in! What kinda things can I do with two monitors?

I often have a game on and every so often I do an ALT + TAB to check a website or whatever. Is it possible to have the game running on main monitor and the net on the second monitor?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

py2006 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have two monitors now and they are sitting side by side. I Just need another power cable to plug the old one in! What kinda things can I do with two monitors?

I often have a game on and every so often I do an ALT + TAB to check a website or whatever. Is it possible to have the game running on main monitor and the net on the second monitor?

Thanks in advance!

Have you plugged the 2nd monitor into your GPU? :D

Once you do that (assuming your using windows), in the display properties there will be an option to extend the desktop along both monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Have you plugged the 2nd monitor into your GPU? :D

Once you do that (assuming your using windows), in the display properties there will be an option to extend the desktop along both monitors.

Intersting! No, I haven't plugged anything into anything yet! I just need to get a power cable for the second monitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

You cannot have a game running and surf( i.e. be clicking on other pages etc. ) the net if the game isint in windowed mode.

Extended desktop as was said above is great, i always use 2 or 3 of my screens now as 1 seems too small.

You can use softTh and span games across the 2 screens( it will actually do render to 3 screens meaning that the centre of the screen will be one of your screens rather than the bevel between 2 screens ), basically like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp0-pbijjM only with left and centre or right and centre. Works really well as i used it with 2 screens for a while until i got the third, its a bit funky to configure though.

Some games have built in support for dual screens, theres only a few though, World In Conflict and Suppreme Commander are ones that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Try out as Ultramon well. I use it for my dual screen setup and its great for things like dual screen wallpaper, task bars on both monitors and if your monitors are different resolutions it should support that as well (I think?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

lmimmfn wrote: »
    You cannot have a game running and surf( i.e. be clicking on other pages etc. ) the net if the game isint in windowed mode.

Extended desktop as was said above is great, i always use 2 or 3 of my screens now as 1 seems too small.

You can use softTh and span games across the 2 screens( it will actually do render to 3 screens meaning that the centre of the screen will be one of your screens rather than the bevel between 2 screens ), basically like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp0-pbijjM only with left and centre or right and centre. Works really well as i used it with 2 screens for a while until i got the third, its a bit funky to configure though.

Some games have built in support for dual screens, theres only a few though, World In Conflict and Suppreme Commander are ones that spring to mind.

Video is awesome, could only imagine that with a steering wheel, chair, gears and pedals.

Looks so awesome.

• Advertisement

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Video is awesome, could only imagine that with a steering wheel, chair, gears and pedals.

Looks so awesome.
    lol, cheers dude, i have the pedals with that wheel, no gearstick though, cant afford the G25 lol, chair would be awesome but i think the wife would leave me if i got one of those haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

lmimmfn wrote: »
    lol, cheers dude, i have the pedals with that wheel, no gearstick though, cant afford the G25 lol, chair would be awesome but i think the wife would leave me if i got one of those haha.

Looks pretty slick though, have you tried any shooting games with it??

I bet it'd be sick!

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Looks pretty slick though, have you tried any shooting games with it??

I bet it'd be sick!
    cheers, yeah ive played CoD4 with it( not online, cant remember if CoD4 uses punkbuster or not didnt want to check ) and yeah the extra FOV is great as you catch the enemies in your peripheral vision. Takes some messing to use the FOV hack for CoD4 though, tbh it works( in the sense of immersion ) best with driving and flying games.

Still though cheepy setup for a bit of fun.

Advertisement