Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I notice any difference....

Options
  • 20-01-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

My current setup:

Asus P5Q
    Q6600
    HD 4870
    OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5

I really wanna upgrade everything (purely because I am a snob) but the recession tells me that for now maybe just videocard and memory.

So in terms of memory I was thinking of maybe Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 XMS2 PC2-8500C5. But would I notice a difference at all?

Or am I best of waiting for a bit and upgrading to I7, appropriate mobo, DDR3 memory etc

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

py2006 wrote: »
    My current setup:

Asus P5Q
    Q6600
    HD 4870
    OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5

I really wanna upgrade everything (purely because I am a snob) but the recession tells me that for now maybe just videocard and memory.

So in terms of memory I was thinking of maybe Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 XMS2 PC2-8500C5. But would I notice a difference at all?

Or am I best of waiting for a bit and upgrading to I7, appropriate mobo, DDR3 memory etc

Thanks in advance!

Na,you wouldn't really notice any real world difference between the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Na,you wouldn't really notice any real world difference between the 2

Hmm, ok! Maybe just a videocard upgrade for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I second the above, but I substitute:
    you wouldn't really notice any real world difference

with
    you wouldn't notice any difference at all

Unless of course you spend your time running memory benchmarks....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Personally I would even sit on the HD4870 (It is still a very respectable card) for another few months and see how the next round of the Graphics card battle plays out. (Hopefully for our sake it will be a bit less on sded than the last round)

marco_polo wrote: »
    Personally I would even sit on the HD4870 (It is still a very respectable card) for another few months and see how the next round of the Graphics card battle plays out. (Hopefully for our sake it will be a bit less on sded than the last round)

I would but it has been acting up lately! :( plus its performing horrifically in GTA4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If you got some cash spare you could try selling what you've got there and put it towards an upgrade. Otherwise like others have said its still quite a good system and nvidia could blow us all away(not likely) with their new graphics cards over the next 6 months

Well, for the sake of €270
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=579270

HD5850 1GB

Well, for the sake of €270
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=579270

HD5850 1GB

Typically not in stock! :(

You're joking?? Seriously, I thought it was when I went to link it! ha!

Bugger, all the 5850's are out of stock until next month :(

Well if you can wait a couple of weeks, thats probably the best bang for buck card going.

Cheapest 5870's are €100 more expensive, not really worth it imo when you can just clock the 5850...

Try Peats in town (Parnell Street)

They have 5850's (Sapphire) listed on their site,they may have some in stock,€269 IIRC

• Advertisement

Try Peats in town (Parnell Street)

They have 5850's (Sapphire) listed on their site,they may have some in stock,€269 IIRC

Yep, site says 'back in stock' - €269 - pretty much as good a price as online (Sapphire HD5850 1GB). Their prices have been quite good lately.

Yep, site says 'back in stock' - €269 - pretty much as good a price as online (Sapphire HD5850 1GB). Their prices have been quite good lately.

That they have,I've bought a few things of them in the last while (mouse + 4890)

That they have,I've bought a few things of them in the last while (mouse + 4890)

I know this is OT, but I also got a new mouse (CM Storm Sentinel) €65?(iirc) and a Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 €25

I know this is OT, but I also got a new mouse (CM Storm Sentinel) €65?(iirc) and a Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 €25

Same mouse as me :D

It's awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

ebuyer have 5850s in stock;

Powercolour £245
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175714

Sapphire £255
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175124

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OP what resolution monitor do you have? I have a 512MB HD4870 and it's running everything maxed out for me. I have a res of 1680 x 1050 and all the options turned on graphically. It hasn't hit any stumbling blocks yet. Other factors are a Q9500 and 4GB of Corsair DDR-II 800Mhz XMS memory.

As another poster put it, it's still a good card and now may not be the time to upgrade it.

OP what resolution monitor do you have? I have a 512MB HD4870 and it's running everything maxed out for me. I have a res of 1680 x 1050 and all the options turned on graphically. It hasn't hit any stumbling blocks yet. Other factors are a Q9500 and 4GB of Corsair DDR-II 800Mhz XMS memory.

As another poster put it, it's still a good card and now may not be the time to upgrade it.

Its running at 1900 *1200 I think! Its a 24 incher!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Its running at 1900 *1200 I think! Its a 24 incher!

OOooooh hehe well that makes a wee bit of difference alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

id change the q6600 for a q9550 which overclocked at 4Ghz is the same performance in games as an i7 920@4Ghz from my own testing.

I would also wait until Fermi is released in March/April, it will drive the price of ATI cards down, a 4870 is still a fantastic card.

Playing at 1680x1050 with 4xAA i was getting 60FPS+ with a Q9550@4Ghz and an Nvidia 260( equivalent to a 4870 ) except for GTA IV and Crysis. I noticed next to no difference gaming with my i7 @4Ghz( GTA IV min framerates moved from 34 with the Q9550 to 40FPS with the i7 ), Crysis improved marginally.

Adding a 5850 allowed me to play Crysis/Warhead with much better framerates and Dir2 in DX11, but thats pretty much it.

I wonder will the new Nvidia cards bring the ATI cards down by much! The first batch are due somewhere around March I think!

I can't remember what happened the last time around! Will Nvidia bring there range out at a price lower than ATI's or will they be similar prices and then ATI will drop theirs!! Prob a silly question!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK they may be forced back until May. Maybe. The current dies are allegedly "uber" but they're uber at the cost of insane voltages, power draw and speeds. And even then they're not stable, so it looks like nVidia may have to back off on the operating frequency a lot to make a stable mas-produceable die :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    AFAIK they may be forced back until May. Maybe. The current dies are allegedly "uber" but they're uber at the cost of insane voltages, power draw and speeds. And even then they're not stable, so it looks like nVidia may have to back off on the operating frequency a lot to make a stable mas-produceable die :o

I have no idea what you just said! But sounds good. Maybe it would be worthwhile getting a card now.

Advertisement