Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400,000 Unemployed Don't Seem to Mind

Options
  • 20-01-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Approx 400,000 people currently unemployed.

Why aren't they marching on the streets demanding the billions being put into Anglo be put into job creation instead?

Writing letters won't do anything.
    Ringing Joe Duffy certainly won't do anything to help.
    Neither will bitching about FF on boards.ie help

Welfare cuts in December can't have been that bad then?

If anyone wants to counter with "No-one has organised a protest" then whats stopping you from becoming the organiser? You've got an extra 40hrs a week free now.

Those who say protests get you nowhere I suggest you take a peek at France, or even at our own pensioners.

PS - This is the most insensitive/confrontational thread I have ever started but as you know, life is not easy and won't get any easier by doing nothing and hoping it'll get better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 psychopaul

You may be shocked by this but people would rather give out than do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Approx 400,000 people currently unemployed.

You've got an extra 40hrs a week free now.

No we don't because you have to be actively searching for employment to qualify for JSA

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

I totally agree, but i think many people feel more downheartened than revolutionary. Trying to manage the day to day is stressful enough without having to manage a protest march, but to anyone reading this that does have time to spare and the ability to make yourself heard.... please, follow this mans advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

was told by afriend that works in swo, and was told if the people on dole are cought in a protest they will be cut off straight away dont know if this is true. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

draward wrote: »
    was told by afriend that works in swo, and was told if the people on dole are cought in a protest they will be cut off straight away dont know if this is true. :cool:

Oh no I forgot about that! :eek:

Oh well, at least we tried!

Oh yeah, don't vote in the 2012 election or you'll lose your social welfare benefits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

That makes sense. But what if it was possible to be organised at a time just outside working hours? surely they cant cut them off then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Doubt that. I think the welfare cuts weren't all that harsh since the majority of people that would be put in a real bind would be over 25 and getting the higher end of the dole anyway. I think the dole is pretty reasonable to live on if your single. If your not single and have a family the benefits seem pretty good too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

So what would you do if you lost your job tomorrow Cork Boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

To the OP: people aren't demanding that because increasing government spending (which is what putting billions into job creation is) is not an option.

When we joined the euro we legally committed to maintaining small government deficits and debt, not for the fun of it but in order to maintain the euro as a credible stable currency. We're already way over those limits and trying to cut spending so tell me how government sponsored jobs will help?

Nothing, he is a smelly student! (According to his profile anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I read in the paper today that councils are not been given extra money to repair the roads after "the big freeze".

So why dont we get people on JSA to go out and repair the roads before they can collect their cheque?

At least they wouldnt be sitting around all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

It's not !!

PeteEd wrote: »
    Nothing, he is a smelly student! (According to his profile anyway)

Yeah, now that makes sense....lol.

I wonder what he's studying though!!

Start job hunting. If it becomes clear there are no jobs for me on the market and no money being allocated to job creation programmes by the govt because they are throwing money (Billions) down the black hole that is Anglo, then I would start organising a movement starting at the que's down art the dole office, facebook, bebo, radio, youtube, boards, etc.

I'm a 26 year old male with no commitments.

My destiny is in my hands.
    My destiny is my responsibility.

Edit* Graduated in 2006. Have been in employment since.

Yeah, now that makes sense....lol.

I wonder what he's studying though!!

Some BA, with more than 40 free hours a week and no chance of a job at the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I read in the paper today that councils are not been given extra money to repair the roads after "the big freeze".

So why dont we get people on JSA to go out and repair the roads before they can collect their cheque?

Nor will they be able to look for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nwordjim

Irish people: spud eating surender monkeys

To the OP: people aren't demanding that because increasing government spending (which is what putting billions into job creation is) is not an option.

When we joined the euro we legally committed to maintaining small government deficits and debt, not for the fun of it but in order to maintain the euro as a credible stable currency. We're already way over those limits and trying to cut spending so tell me how government sponsored jobs will help?

Please re-read my post.

My point being is why waste BILLIONS on the likes of Anglo when that money could go into job creation. Brussells don't care what we spend our money on so long as we maintain our finances at a certain level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

It might surprise you to find out that most don't sit around all day. Over half of the 400 thousand on the dole at the moment would be new unemployed and believe me most of them are out everyday trying to find work or chase up any leads they may have. And for the evening its the usual routine of going from one recruitment site to the other looking to see if anything new came online today.

With regard to repairing the roads, labor expenses is only part of the funding required.And no doubt SW will have something to say about it since you are supposed to be actively searching for work when in receipt of benefit.

Lots of people on boards have fantastic ideas for people on the dole and tend to generalise, lazy, sit at home doing nothing and getting money for nothing even though the paid PRSI for God knows how many years. Anyway my point is, This recession is far from over and lots of people on here I'm afraid are going to experience the lavish and relaxing role of signing on once a month. Like to hear their suggestions then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Hire 400,000 people to look for 400,000 individual jobs for the 400,000 unemployed.

Pay them the same wage as the dole and say (pretend) that they have a job.

Or let them play on the internet, call this a job.

You see where I am going with this.

After all this is what our politicians have been doing for their entire careers.

• Advertisement

Some BA, with more than 40 free hours a week and no chance of a job at the end of it!

2.1 Bachelor of Business Studies. Majored in marketing and minored in quantitative data analysis. Have been in gainful employment since graduation in 2006. :P

Atwork wrote: »
    It might surprise you to find out that most don't sit around all day.

I appreciate that. I deliberately made the thread provocative hoping to illicit a response along the lines of "oh ya? well we'll show you!!!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The 400,000 should form into an Army and take over the country and put the politicians/bankers/developers on the dole.

If even the "Threat" of this arose then you would see the wealthy and powerful come up with the money to protect their position.

You will never know the true wealth of the establishment and the powerful until their wealth and power is under threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm not technically unemployed at the moment but I will be again in a month's time. I spent my 3 months on the dole job-hunting and attempting to upskill. Currently working a 3 month contract in the UK and every evening is spent on-line trying to line up something for my return but with no luck yet - tbh the response I'm getting is so mute I'd actually appreciate a PFO at this stage!

I'm guessing most people on the dole don't protest for the same reason I didn't: I was too damn busy trying to get off the dole. If "Job Creation" means further bloating the public sector, I'm against it (even if it would give me a job, the IMF/ECB would only have to take it back off me again in 6 months time!).

Real job creation measure such as luring in new FDI, incentivising the private sector to hire more staff or simply retain the staff they do have (through employers PRSI breaks for new hires / jobs at risk etc.) would certainly be something I'd welcome though!

Well anyone who is in gainful employment fancy making a cash donation?
    Quite difficult organizing a power to the people march on 196 euro a week!

No didn't think so, i'll just content myself by looking after No1.

Get No1 a job and feck the 399,999 others.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Real job creation measure such as luring in new FDI, incentivising the private sector to hire more staff or simply retain the staff they do have (through employers PRSI breaks for new hires / jobs at risk etc.) would certainly be something I'd welcome though!

Sorry bud, saving Anglo and the golden circle is far more important than silly things like FDI and development :rolleyes:

Well anyone who is in gainful employment fancy making a cash donation?
    Quite difficult organizing a power to the people march on 196 euro a week!

No didn't think so, i'll just content myself by looking after No1.

Get No1 a job and feck the 399,999 others.

I do make a cash donation, its called PRSI and PAYE :D

Seriously though, you don't need money to organise. All the organisation methods I have described are costless.

Grow some brains mate....:pac:

Any more good ideas?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I dont know why there are not protests, as there have been in France or in Iceland.

I think a lot has to do with Ireland is a post-colonial nation, we have a history of doing as we are told.
    In the British empire we were a subject nation
    In the period since 1922 we remained subserviant to the Catholic church, taught to accept our fate, not to complain.
    When someone stands up, we cut them down - begrudgery is a part of it.
    We dont complain-
    We sit down with our hands out, we were - and with the way things are going- will be the Green begging bowl.

Maybe that is a part of it, or is it just an excuse? Blame the Brits, circumstances beyond our control etc.

But Beverly Flynn, John O Donahue, Jackie Healy Rae or son, the Andrews, the Lennihans, the Haughtys et al will all be re-elected.
    The way this is done is that at a local level the TD distances themselves from the party.
    The only way to end this is candidates at a national level for national elections, this would curb clientism and cronyism.

And if you have had dealings with the local councils, the incompetence, lack of action and delays etc you just get fed up.

Protesting in Ireland is hard, the police get sent out to deal with it, to curtail it.

As Naomi Klein said the only way to affect change is get on the street and stop traffic, but for that you can be arrested and held under a public order offence.
    But farmers and taxi drivers have done it.

Why dont we say on Tuesday 26th everyone who is pissed off with the way things are meet in Dublin on Kildare street, and elsewhere outside the county council offices, stand in the street and hold hands, and stop traffic for 5 hours

Or park cars on Kildare street for 5 hours.

What do we want - a general election - Now- that would be a de-facto referendum on NAMA
    Will people actually take action?

I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Start job hunting. If it becomes clear there are no jobs for me on the market and no money being allocated to job creation programmes by the govt because they are throwing money (Billions) down the black hole that is Anglo, then I would start organising a movement starting at the que's down art the dole office, facebook, bebo, radio, youtube, boards, etc.

I'm a 26 year old male with no commitments.

My destiny is in my hands.
    My destiny is my responsibility.

Edit* Graduated in 2006. Have been in employment since.

So basically if you didn't have a job would would start complaining about it on the internet so that's it then?

If you want to start a movement down at the dole que you better get there early!:rolleyes:

Advertisement