Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400,000 Unemployed Don't Seem to Mind

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    I dont know why there are not protests, as there have been in France or in Iceland.

I think a lot has to do with Ireland is a post-colonial nation, we have a history of doing as we are told.
    In the British empire we were a subject nation
    In the period since 1922 we remained subserviant to the Catholic church, taught to accept our fate, not to complain.
    When someone stands up, we cut them down - begrudgery is a part of it.
    We dont complain-
    We sit down with our hands out, we were - and with the way things are going- will be the Green begging bowl.

Maybe that is a part of it, or is it just an excuse? Blame the Brits, circumstances beyond our control etc.

But Beverly Flynn, John O Donahue, Jackie Healy Rae or son, the Andrews, the Lennihans, the Haughtys et al will all be re-elected.
    The way this is done is that at a local level the TD distances themselves from the party.
    The only way to end this is candidates at a national level for national elections, this would curb clientism and cronyism.

And if you have had dealings with the local councils, the incompetence, lack of action and delays etc you just get fed up.

Protesting in Ireland is hard, the police get sent out to deal with it, to curtail it.

As Naomi Klein said the only way to affect change is get on the street and stop traffic, but for that you can be arrested and held under a public order offence.
    But farmers and taxi drivers have done it.

Why dont we say on Tuesday 26th everyone who is pissed off with the way things are meet in Dublin on Kildare street, and elsewhere outside the county council offices, stand in the street and hold hands, and stop traffic for 5 hours

Or park cars on Kildare street for 5 hours.

What do we want - a general election - Now- that would be a de-facto referendum on NAMA
    Will people actually take action?

I doubt it.

Never hear of Sinn Fein.....I.R.A.? Yeah us Irish have a history of doing what we're told.:rolleyes:

I agree with you about most of the TD's though, it's not what you know but who you know (or what's your surname). But its always been like that in nearly every country in the world!

Taxi drivers, teachers, etc can strike, because it causes disruption...don't think unemployed people 'striking' would have the same effect!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

So basically if you didn't have a job would would start complaining about it on the internet so that's it then?

If you want to start a movement down at the dole que you better get there early!:rolleyes:

Huh,for someone laughing at my ex-student status i find it highly ironic you can't tell the difference between the words 'organise' and 'complain'.

As for your next inspiration: Taxi drivers, teachers, etc can strike, because it causes disruption...don't think unemployed people 'striking' would have the same effect!

Blocking traffic in Dublin will cause maximum disruption. I remember a burst pipe in Bray in 2007 caused 4 hour delays in Dublin city. Imagine what 400,000 unemployed people could do.

Here's an idea Tiny, why don't you try contributing something constructive or at least try constructive criticism?

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Huh,for someone laughing at my ex-student status i find it highly ironic you can't tell the difference between the words 'organise' and 'complain'.

I didn't laugh at anything, it was you that called yourself a 'smelly student' I have nothing against students I was one not so long ago, maybe you should change your profile description.

As for your next inspiration: Taxi drivers, teachers, etc can strike, because it causes disruption...don't think unemployed people 'striking' would have the same effect!

Blocking traffic in Dublin will cause maximum disruption. I remember a burst pipe in Bray in 2007 caused 4 hour delays in Dublin city. Imagine what 400,000 unemployed people could do.

Cause a riot?... Burn down shops, businesses, murder a few people?
    Yeah great, but there will still be no jobs.

Here's an idea Tiny, why don't you try contributing something constructive or at least try constructive criticism?

Now don't get me wrong cork boy, organize something I'd be up for it! Should I wear a blue or black shirt though*?

(*only a joke!)

Now don't get me wrong cork boy, organize something I'd be up for it! Should I wear a blue or black shirt though*?

(*only a joke!)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

(*only a joke!)

Christ Tiny we're as bad as eachother for our inability to use the multi-quote function!

As for the shirts, was the choice of colour deliberate? If so - nice one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Never hear of Sinn Fein.....I.R.A.? Yeah us Irish have a history of doing what we're told.:rolleyes:
    Taxi drivers, teachers, etc can strike, because it causes disruption...don't think unemployed people 'striking' would have the same effect!:pac:

Yup, and in the war of independence they were both very small in number.
    Really, it is not a comparison.

PIRA were a small number in relative terms, with limited support.
    CIRA and RIRA have even less support but still create disruption.
    Quite often people are forced to collude through fear and intimidation.
    But the use of extreme violence, and murder, as political tools will create disruption.

We are, in general, very apathetic and afraid to stand up.

Look what happened to Noel Brown for standing up to the church

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I totally agree with you Cork Boy. But we're just ........very bad at doing anything positive action related. We prefer to sit and whinge. I think we're a fairly pessimistic race of people.

dan_d wrote: »
    I totally agree with you Cork Boy. But we're just ........very bad at doing anything positive action related. We prefer to sit and whinge. I think we're a fairly pessimistic race of people.

You may be pessimistic, but I'm not and most of the people I know aren't pessimistic either!!

So it's basically you and these folks on the message boards that reckon that Ireland is pessimistic?

Take a look at yourself before labeling the whole Irish 'race' of people as pessimists!

2.1 Bachelor of Business Studies. Majored in marketing and minored in quantitative data analysis. Have been in gainful employment since graduation in 2006. :P

Well, done. *Clap Clap*

But there's people who have been working for the last 30 years and thrown out to live on the dole. People might have been approaching their retirements and their pensions amounts have been slashed. etc.

Why don't people march? Because they don't see any point. Simple. Our crappy government(s) [past and present] continuously mismanage everything.. I think most people are waiting until the Businesses in Ireland regain confidence, and start fixing this country once more. Rely on the Government for jobs? Thats a laugh. Anyway, what makes you think the government would actually listen?

Lastly, Corkboy... you're doing all talking yourself... Have you ever organised anything before? I don't mean a few mates down in the pub...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I have a diploma and a 2.1 degree myself but I'm not employed. I don't want to get out and march, or ring joe duffy - my emphasis is on getting a job and nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Start job hunting. If it becomes clear there are no jobs for me on the market and no money being allocated to job creation programmes by the govt because they are throwing money (Billions) down the black hole that is Anglo, then I would start organising a movement starting at the que's down art the dole office, facebook, bebo, radio, youtube, boards, etc.

I'm a 26 year old male with no commitments.

My destiny is in my hands.
    My destiny is my responsibility.

Edit* Graduated in 2006. Have been in employment since.
    Well if you are going to organise a protest at the dole office in cork on a thurs day, then dont turn up until after 10.30 am - the poor luvies in the dole office dont open before 10.30 on thursday !
    P.s if you need to go to the loo before the protest, then dont expect to be able to use the loos in the dole office either - only staff are provided with toilets - the public are not provided with toilets .. maybe we arent quite regarded as ' human' ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

We need to import French Truck Drivers and pay them to teach our docile, sedated repeat Victims the intricate and detailed arts of blockade, arson and rampant Civil unrest.......

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Theyre all too busy calling Joe Duffy about the proposal to introduce water charges...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Raiser wrote: »
    We need to import French Truck Drivers and pay them to teach our docile, sedated repeat Victims the intricate and detailed arts of blockade, arson and rampant Civil unrest.......
    you also will need the help of their ATCO as well as they can strike upto 48hrs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i dont get it,there isnt much resources there for the low skilled workers so they allow them to sit on the dole,then those who done well and earned their degrees cant get jobs in the public sector because of this stupid embargo..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 railwaylad

hear my story, i found myself on the dole in march 2009 after been in the job since august 1998 although at the time i did not think so but 13euro p/h was a great rate and i had a mortage of 170euro p/w, my job is still there under a diferent title and with a polish lad doing it, i now work nights for 9.50p/h after been on the dole for 6 months, my company did not drop the price of its products when it made its cutbacks nor did my employer change his lifestyle, i do not have a prob with that its his business,,,,
    i ended up on the dole like hundreds of thousands of irish people not because i ****ed up or did not want to work but because of unrestricted cheep foreign labour..
    you may think you are safe but remember when the ferry workers went on strick over been replaced with foreigh workers some years back the lorry drivers were going mad at all the hold ups.. look around you now theres bearly an english speaking lorry driver in the country..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

well,some jobs are filled because the irish simply dont want to do them,other jobs are filled because EU is the one nation so they are entilted to it,but i do think the irish gov is useless been vocal about saving jobs,unlike the british and germans who where very vocal about jobs been out sourced somewhere else.

Advertisement