Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser Hair Removal - Bikini and beyond ...

• 20-01-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've decided to take the plunge and go for laser hair removal. Now I want to be sure I know exactly what to ask for

Can anyone tell me in plain, simple language the differences between normal bikini,californian, brazilian, hollywood etc etc

I have done a little research but each country seems to have a slight varition as to what these are and even then the websites seem to dance around the point and fail to describe exactly what each type of 'style' is!

Thanks in advance everyone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Google is your friend :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini_waxing

Some salons can vary, you need to ask in your own salon or tell them what you want exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kittyboodublin

Have a friend who has had it done on her legs and bikini line and is just finished her course. She went to Urbana in Wicklow Street and said they have a pain free laser "Soprano XL? and that the treatment did not hurt at all. Seemingly there are a few different types of laser out there but this one she said is supposed to be the latest and most advanced. Dont know how much it cost but I think they have a website with all the prices and stuff. I have been there myself in the past just not for laser and always found them to be very friendly and professional. might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭addictedtoshoes

I've had this done and it's sore but VERY bearable. It's not permanent though but if you get a full course done you would only need to get it done again every few months. well well worth it!!! You wouldn't be able to get a Hollywood (nothing left!) or Brazilian (Strip) done with laser though!!! Only a Calafornian (triangle)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭silverfairy

I've had this done and it's sore but VERY bearable. It's not permanent though but if you get a full course done you would only need to get it done again every few months. well well worth it!!! You wouldn't be able to get a Hollywood (nothing left!) or Brazilian (Strip) done with laser though!!! Only a Calafornian (triangle)

Im getting a course (underarms, lower leg and full monty) in Urbana, and am getting it 'all off' down there, so it def can be done. And as far as i'm aware it is 'fairly permanent'. As in 80-90% of your hair will be permanetly gone forever, but obviously some stubborn hairs will grow back with hormones/etc. I have had 3 sessions done so far, and am getting my 4th soon, and I have to say 90% of hair has gone. Obviously new hair grows back as hair grows in cycles, but even the new hair that grows back is significantly less. As far as I know you have your course of treatments and then come back in a year or so to get any stray hairs that may have reappeared or were more stubborn. But am happy so far.
    Doesnt hurt at all on underarms/legs, in fact on your legs it is quite relaxing, as its warm, but as I'm getting the whole lot off in bikini area, the inner bits can be very tender. I think one reason for this maybe is that its hard to get a v.close shave there and if there is any stubble/hair above the skin, you can feel a 'pull' on the skin from the laser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

How much did a course cost?

• Advertisement

I got a 'combination package' - underarm, lower leg, and I think its called californian (all off- although check that as some salons use different names), and I think it was around €1300, for 7 sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rachrua

Normal bikini is just tidying up the edges, Californian goes a little further in taking a little more hair away from the edges, brazilian is usually leaving 'the landing strip' a thin line of hair at the front, but this does vary from salon to salon, some will take all the hair away front back and in between and just leave a very thin line of hair, but some wont be as particular and will just go a bit further in again from the californian. The hollywood is taking all of the hair away completely, again some places might not be very good, and they may just do the front. But to be sure, just ask your therapist for whatever you want. I guess it depends on the salon you go to and what laser machine they have, but i know in the salon where i work, we can and do, do the hollywood with laser. It isn't very painful as we use icepacks to numb/cool the skin before the treatment, and its very fast. I've had it done on my bikini, legs and under arms and its the best thing ever i have to admit! well worth the money. hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭addictedtoshoes

rachrua wrote: »
    Normal bikini is just tidying up the edges, Californian goes a little further in taking a little more hair away from the edges, brazilian is usually leaving 'the landing strip' a thin line of hair at the front, but this does vary from salon to salon, some will take all the hair away front back and in between and just leave a very thin line of hair, but some wont be as particular and will just go a bit further in again from the californian. The hollywood is taking all of the hair away completely, again some places might not be very good, and they may just do the front. But to be sure, just ask your therapist for whatever you want. I guess it depends on the salon you go to and what laser machine they have, but i know in the salon where i work, we can and do, do the hollywood with laser. It isn't very painful as we use icepacks to numb/cool the skin before the treatment, and its very fast. I've had it done on my bikini, legs and under arms and its the best thing ever i have to admit! well worth the money. hope this helps

I didn't know that you could get the lot done by laser!! Wow...what salon to do work in? I'd had laser done before and it's brilliant but would love to get the lot done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rachrua

Aveo beauty in Naas, kildare ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lm19

yeh I'm thinking of getting it done aswell... Is there anywhere that people would recommend???

• Advertisement

Hi

I have had a laser consultation with Urbana and Therapie last week. I have tried waxing out a few months ago but after having it done I got alot of ingrown hairs and swore never again. Anyway during the consultation with both I got a patch test done on my bikini and Underarm and I have decided to go with Urbana as my friend also went there for treatment last year and found them very good. I am not getting all the bikini done, just an extended but I will let you all know how I get on over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 culdub

I'm also hoping to go with laser in the next couple of weeks, have heard great things about Urbana but I'm also looking at Therapie. Has anyone out there gone to Therapie, if so, how was it? Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Well, I priced a few places and finally settled on Slender Health in Raheny. Helen in there is fabulous. She talked me through the whole process, answers every question I have along the way and is a true professional.

I have heard that the prices in Therapie are terribly inflated and that even with discounts you can still pay well over the odds. Best to shop around for the best prices and ask all the questions at the consultation so you know exactly what you're getting

I have had 3 sessions and I can see a huge difference already. The laser does make me flinch at the time but I have no tenderness after the treatment

Well worth the money .. I should have done it years ago :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lm19

I'm having laser hair removal done on my bikini like (a Brazilian) in Therapie. I paid 450 for 6 sessions have so far completed 2 sessions and I have already noticed a huge difference.

The hair sheds after 10 days and I don't get regrowth until the week before and the hair is very fine,similar to hair on my arm. Also the main reason I decided to get laser hair removal because I had awful ingrown hairs and have also found a dramatic improvement in them. The treatment isn't painful but I have to admit is quite uncomfortable but it doesn't last long and the girl who does mine is great,stops whenever I say and applies the cooling gel.

Definitely worth it I think :)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Hi, sorry to jump in here, but can I just ask a few questions.

I'm thinking of getting my bikini line done in the next year or so (funds are low at the mo!) but I have quite a bit of hair, which is why I want to get it done.I made the mistake of shaving the edges when I was younger. I was wondering is therapie still 450 for just bikini line?

How do you pay, all in one go?
    I absolutely despise waxing, i think its really painful. Will I be able to bear the pain of this? I hear the 70% off in therapie is just a gimmick and its the same price all the time, is that true? I might wait and get it done in urbana when I move back to Dublin if the reports from there are better.

What would be the maximum amount of sessions and does the price increase by much per session? I have v light skin and dark enough hair so I think i'd be a good candidate. In therapies consultation do they actually do a patch test?

Thanks guys!

Hi Ainekav,
    that 70% is a complete gimmick, they have it all the time. When I went in there to get a consultation/patch test, they were more interested in getting me to pay the full amount there and then, immediately, before they even looked at my skin! and lied about the 'offer' ending the next day, and that I would need to pay immediately if I wanted it.
    Incidentially when I went into Urbana (the same day) they looked at my skin (which had a tan, as I had been aweay on hols) and told me to come back for a patch test when my tan had gone down. they didnt push me for money upfront, actually advised me to go to several places and see which one I liked the best, and told me to look up the machine (Soprano XL- the best and newest on the market atm) and familiarise myself about it and Laser hair removal.
    This machine is great because its virtually pain free. Im getting a combination package (nderarms, lower leg, and all off bikin area) and its actuallyquite relaxing on your legs and underarms, however,it can be a little tender on your bikini area - esp if you are getting it all off. However, I only find it tender if I havnt had a close enough shave - so try and make sure you get as close as poss. I too, read up lots of reviews (check out beaut.ie) and read awful stories about therapie, and have heard bad stories from a few people I actually know too. However, I dont mean to be overly negative, just that you need to fully research where you go, and get a consultation in all places.I can 100% rec Urbana and am extremely happy with them. I have had 4 sessions so far, and I'd say 50% of my hair is gone. They dont try and hard sell you anything, and I feelas if they genuinely care about my skin and what is right for me. Ive also heard very good things about Dundrum, and FAB. Hope this helps. Any more questions fire away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Thanks Silverfairy, that clears up a lot. So maybe not therapie then? Im in Galway at the mo, but I probably wont be getting it done til the autumn, so I can try urbana then maybe. What is the chances that all the hair will go after your course of treatments? Even if some hair is left, will it be noticeable or dark? cos theres not a lot of point paying that much if theres any left.

Anyone know how much the pain free Soprano XL is for your bikini line?

yeah well i'm hoping all my hair will be gone after the course of treatments. I've 4 done and I'm going to be getting the 5th done soon, and I reckon that 50% of the hair from my bikini area and underams is totally gone, and 80% of the hair from my legs is gone. I'm actually dragging out this 5th session (was supposed to have it last month) for a while longer to see if I get more hair regrowth on my legs, and there is only a few stray hairs on them. And the great thing is is that most of the hairs that grow back seem to be finer and more downy, kinda like baby hair, so its not as noticeable. I've been going with out shaving on my legs since the last one to see how much hair has grown back, and you cant even feel stubble or anything. Hopefully it will all be gone, but id say even if there is a few stragglers, they will be like those new ones, kinda fine and downy. Hopefully. I know someone I used to work with got the full treatment done, and a year on she has no hair regrowth - so hopefully that will be me!
    I'd post a link for the prices on Urbana's page, but ive been so vocal about how great I find them, I'm afraid someone would think I work there (I dont Im a teacher). But if you can afford it those combination packages seem good value, and you get it all done at the one time. Then again, your other areas may be okay.My legs were awful hairy, and really course and thick, with multiple hairs comign out of the one root/or hole or whatever you call it.
    Oh yeah, and def try leave it till Autumn if your going on hols or planning on sunbathing. The whiter you are the better!
    any more questions fire away. I did my own head in looking up online research before I got mine done, and could write a book on Laser Hair removal and the Sopranao XL machine (well maybe not quite ;)

Hi Everyone,

Just got the reminder on my phone to keep you all updated on how my laser treatments are going, I had my 2nd session last night and had noticed quite a bit of regrowth just starting in the week prior to my treatment. Although in saying that it did take almost 6 weeks for the hair to start regrowing after just my first treatment :). The girl I am attending at Urbana (Paula, one of the owners, I think) told me that this is normal and that the next 2 or 3 sessions will really reduce the regrowth and start thinning out the hair. She makes you feel very at ease and seems to really know her stuff about laser so I have madesure to get her for the rest of my treatments. Overall I am happy with the treatment so far and definitely have noticed a difference. It is not nearly as painful as the one and only time I got waxed thank god so fingers crossed all will go well over the next few months, Will keep you all updated as my treatments go on over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

I got a Brazilian done by laser !!!!!!!! The laser course I got is permanent and so worth the little pain you go thro

• Advertisement

culdub wrote: »
    I'm also hoping to go with laser in the next couple of weeks, have heard great things about Urbana but I'm also looking at Therapie. Has anyone out there gone to Therapie, if so, how was it? Any advice appreciated.

Hey,

I will be having my 5th treatment with Therapie next week and find them great, I am getting leg , underarm and Briliazian done (€1,100) since the 3rd session I have not had any hair under my arms and bikini area, I have just a few hairs left growing on my legs and I still have 2 treatments left .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but do you have to shave the bikini line etc into teh shape you want it!! I findingw axing there way too painful and crap at shaving there which is why I was considering lazer.
    also is there any place that does demos or one cheap session to see can you handle the pain as I am a wimp!! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

how long do you have to wait between sessions?

sam34 wrote: »
    how long do you have to wait between sessions?

6 weeks at the start and then onto 8 weeks when the hair is slow to grow back

Terri26 wrote: »
    sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but do you have to shave the bikini line etc into teh shape you want it!! I findingw axing there way too painful and crap at shaving there which is why I was considering lazer.
    also is there any place that does demos or one cheap session to see can you handle the pain as I am a wimp!! thanks

yes you have to shave the area you want laser, you can have a demo in Therapy , I say most places offer this, laser is no way as painful as waxing, I hated waxing and I can handle the laser treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

Ainekav wrote: »
    Thanks Silverfairy, that clears up a lot. So maybe not therapie then? Im in Galway at the mo, but I probably wont be getting it done til the autumn, so I can try urbana then maybe. What is the chances that all the hair will go after your course of treatments? Even if some hair is left, will it be noticeable or dark? cos theres not a lot of point paying that much if theres any left.

Anyone know how much the pain free Soprano XL is for your bikini line?

Body Benefits in Galway (in the Cornstore on Middle St) is quite good and is apparently the second of the 2 salons that have the Soprano XL machine, but that could be nonsense. It is expensive but they are doing deals on packages and things like that at the mo. My advice would be to shave as closely as possible, even if you have to spend an hour in the shower as my therapist says! I'll let ya know if it was worth it, I sure hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NeadyC

I'm getting my laser done in Galway with Therapie. It's not the Soprano XL but a Candela (it's on their website). The therapist went through the differences with me & I have to say I am very happy with the Candela. It's not pain free but it is no way as bad as waxing. The difference is when I leave all my hair is gone which for me is brilliant. I swim everyday so I hate the thoughts of constantly shaving my bikini line. I paid €380 for my course of 6 sessions. So far I'm really thrilled with the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I think I'm convinced and want to go ahead with laser treatment. Has anyone had it done successfully in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

There's a special offer on Citydeal for laser removal - only on till midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Has anybody got legs and underarms done? How does the pain compare? Are legs a lot more painful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Caoilinn T

I got laser hair removal at therapie. I absolutely delighted with the results and i found the staff very professional and friendlyl. I got my underams done, i got it done in therapie on Molesworth st and the treatment was pain free. Thinking about getting my bikin done now.Defineltly recommend laser hair removal. Results are fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Caroline Grovan

Hi Caoilinn, when do you see visible results. I am dying to get it done as i have some hormonal problems and have some unwanted hair. Think , i will go therapie as i heard they are good from a friend. How much did you pay for the underarm?Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

rebecca 30 wrote: »
    6 weeks at the start and then onto 8 weeks when the hair is slow to grow back

Really?? I was told to come back every 3 weeks, have had 8 sessions on my bikini and it seemed to be going really well, had only a few little patches left, but last week I got a huge amount of growth back in the middle section, almost full growth but not as coarse as before, very disappointed now. Should I have been leaving longer in between??

chocgirl wrote: »
    Has anybody got legs and underarms done? How does the pain compare? Are legs a lot more painful?

yes I have , I didnt find the legs sore at all, the underarms were a little painful but when its done its def worth it

lily lou wrote: »
    Really?? I was told to come back every 3 weeks, have had 8 sessions on my bikini and it seemed to be going really well, had only a few little patches left, but last week I got a huge amount of growth back in the middle section, almost full growth but not as coarse as before, very disappointed now. Should I have been leaving longer in between??

I would if I was you but maybe it depends were your getting it done, some machines are stronger than others, ask the girl that is doing it,
    I have had 4 session done and theres very little regrow and I have 2 more to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Thanks, I had very little regrowth and was delighted with it, then in the course of a week I got a huge amount of regrowth, this was after having maybe 2 months with hardly anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Romka

Caoilinn T wrote: »
    I got laser hair removal at therapie. I absolutely delighted with the results and i found the staff very professional and friendlyl. I got my underams done, i got it done in therapie on Molesworth st and the treatment was pain free. Thinking about getting my bikin done now.Defineltly recommend laser hair removal. Results are fab.

Hi. How many sessions and what price was it to get the underarms done? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Caoilinn T

I have had 4 sessions so far as i havent had to shave, I cant get over the results. I paid 350 euro for a course of six treatments which is pretty reasonable. Going to get the bikin done now.You cant go wrong at 380 euro. My laser therapist is Noelle, she is brilliant. I would ask for her if you are getting it done.Best of luck with the laser :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 shelly1234

yeah well i'm hoping all my hair will be gone after the course of treatments. I've 4 done and I'm going to be getting the 5th done soon, and I reckon that 50% of the hair from my bikini area and underams is totally gone, and 80% of the hair from my legs is gone. I'm actually dragging out this 5th session (was supposed to have it last month) for a while longer to see if I get more hair regrowth on my legs, and there is only a few stray hairs on them. And the great thing is is that most of the hairs that grow back seem to be finer and more downy, kinda like baby hair, so its not as noticeable. I've been going with out shaving on my legs since the last one to see how much hair has grown back, and you cant even feel stubble or anything. Hopefully it will all be gone, but id say even if there is a few stragglers, they will be like those new ones, kinda fine and downy. Hopefully. I know someone I used to work with got the full treatment done, and a year on she has no hair regrowth - so hopefully that will be me!
    I'd post a link for the prices on Urbana's page, but ive been so vocal about how great I find them, I'm afraid someone would think I work there (I dont Im a teacher). But if you can afford it those combination packages seem good value, and you get it all done at the one time. Then again, your other areas may be okay.My legs were awful hairy, and really course and thick, with multiple hairs comign out of the one root/or hole or whatever you call it.
    Oh yeah, and def try leave it till Autumn if your going on hols or planning on sunbathing. The whiter you are the better!
    any more questions fire away. I did my own head in looking up online research before I got mine done, and could write a book on Laser Hair removal and the Sopranao XL machine (well maybe not quite ;)

Hi Silverfairy, was just reading your post and it seems you had the same problem i have right now although i doubt it was as bad as mine!!! basically i could shave my legs and spend an hour in the bath trying to get it really close but they still wouldnt be smooth!!! and by the morning they are all stubbly again!! yuck i know! im thinking laser is my only option as i am soooo sick of never having smooth legs! plus i also have the problem of 2 hairs growing out of the same root... im very intersted to hear how your getting on with the laser and are your legs actually smooth and the regrowth and all that, love to hear from you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

Hi,
    I was wondering has anyone had laser removal done at Urbana? I get waxed there, and their laser offer seems really good, but I don't know of anyone who got laser done there. I'm thinking just bikini and underarm. Any advice??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

Sorry to post again...have read through all the posts and seen good reviews for both Urbana and Therapie, am now torn between the two.

Went for consultation in Urbana and found them really good. They are offering €500 for bikini + underarm. Only bad thing, they were quite forceful in wanting to get the money out me there and then, even though I kept telling them I hadn't brought my wallet!

Rang Therapie, and they first quoted €790 for the same treatment, but then offered to match Urbana's price. They didn't mention a consultation, and again wanted all the money up front.

A friend of mine is getting laser done in Therapie in Cork and says they are excellent and it's pain free. I've been to Urbana for waxes before and always find them good! So now, I am torn, but swaying slightly towards Urbana....
    any advice???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

I have already touted these guys a couple of times - The Laser Centre on Hume St. They're doing a €60 for 20 mins deal at the moment. I've been doing bikini and underarms. Three sessions so far and underarms have had very little regrowth. Bikini a bit more but noticeably less and lighter. They only charge per session. Asking for money upfront is a bit much these days. Nice place and friendly staff too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement