Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players Scoring Against their Former Teams

• 20-01-2010 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Listened to Alex Fergusons interview after the 2-1 Defeat to City last night. He mentioned that loads of players have scored against united having left the club. Got me thinking...I couldn't think of any ex united players scoring against them!! My memory is gone to the Dogs. Well Alex reckons there are loads, so anyone remember any?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Paul Ince for Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mark Hughes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some fella last night. Little spiteful lad. Name escapes me.

Also Denis Law is the most famous one obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

fair play ye, he got the Equalizer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Denis Law, 1974, back heel for City against United. It would of relegated us, but due to results on the day we were relegated anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Andy Cole when at Blackburn..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I think the only goals Nikolas Anelka ever scores are against former teams!

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I think the only goals Nikolas Anelka ever scores are against former teams!
    I like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Larsson for Barca v Celtic.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Since Anelka played for 5 different EPL teams it wouldn't be hard!

• Advertisement

Robbie Keane is one that springs to mind. And never celebrates either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bellers at Anfield last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

David Beckham in a couple of weeks;)

Maxi Rodriguez [oops I think I got this backwards]

Most over rated player of the Decade

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Did Sheringham?

Fowler did it to Liverpool..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yeah and then Ronaldinho in the final;)

dfx- wrote: »
    Did Sheringham?

Fowler did it to Liverpool..

I'd say there's a good chance he scored against Spurs playing for United alright

syngindub wrote: »
    I'd say there's a good chance he scored against Spurs playing for United alright

Was thinking he did all right. Not 100%

Prolific Peter Crouch must be in with a shout maybe given his moves.

Edit : Memory fail

He didn't. I looked it up on Soccerbase as soon as I saw the thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hamann against Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Richard Dunne scored against City a few months ago and showed some class

_46501821_dunne_credit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Bellamy must have hit a few of his former clubs

I really enjoyed Dunne scoring against City this season. That expression says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Didn't Lampard score a penalty against West Ham and celebrate as if it was any other team.

SWAR wrote: »
    Didn't Lampard score a penalty against West Ham and celebrate as if it was any other team.
    He does get a fair bit of stick off the West Ham supporters though. they deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Henning Berg scored for Blackburn when he came up against United a few years after he left. Can't think of any others scoring against United though.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

He does get a fair bit of stick off the West Ham supporters though. they deserve it

So does he ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Yeah, he gets terrible abuse from them. Really bad. So he gives it back when he scores.

• Advertisement

Darius Vassell loved playing against Villa.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He didn't. I looked it up on Soccerbase as soon as I saw the thread title.

I wasn't sure. I remember him taking a penalty at WHL in a United/Spurs game. I think he scored it anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Heskey against Leicster?

Maybe?

Henry against Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Didnt some guy for Man City score against a former club a few months back and ran the pitch to show his "apprecation" to the away fans.;)

Scoring against former clubs is rare enough, depending on what terms you left the club and fans I reckon most celebrations should be just like its another team but emotions of the occasion and adrenaline pumping could prove difficult to keep under control.

looks like teddy scored twice against spurs..according to http://www.stretfordend.co.uk
    teddyv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

So does he ;)

whys that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Some chap called Adebayor started all this antagonising celebrations, looking forward to Barry's celebrations against Villa if he get's one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

David Batty memorably for Newcastle v Blackburn on his first return to Ewood Park
    Shearer for Newky v Blackburn (lost count)

Andy Cole v Newcastle (lost count)
    Les Ferdinand v Newcastle (once maybe twice)
    Didi Hamann v Newcastle (once)
    Abdoubaye Faye v Newcastle (once)
    Titus Bramble v Newcastle (once)
    Craig Bellamy v Newcastle (twice or thrice)

Probably dozens more v Newky too.

I'd say scoring against old clubs is very frequent and often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Aliadiere against Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Did Valencia bang one in against Wigan over the X mas....Or was i imagining things.....maybe the booze had my head mushed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

event wrote: »
    whys that?
    Well, let's just say that he hasn't exactly endeared himself to West Ham fans since he left. Yes some of the stick he gets from a minority of our supporters is OTT but a lot of it he deserves.
    For West Ham we've actually had a fair few ex players score against us. Konchesky scored last season for Fulham, Tyrone Mears a few seasons ago for Derby, Lampard obviously with annoying regularity, Defoe likewise. Lee Bowyer earlier this season. Kanoute when he played for Spurs. Joe Cole 2 seasons ago for Chelsea. Jimmy Bullard for Hull this season. Just a few off the top of my head.

And of course Tevez. And obviously, seeing as he was treated with the greatest of respect by our fans when he returned (as are the majority of our ex players, despite what the media try to imply) he repayed that respect by refusing to celebrate any goals against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Well, let's just say that he hasn't exactly endeared himself to West Ham fans since he left. Yes some of the stick he gets from a minority of our supporters is OTT but a lot of it he deserves.
    For West Ham we've actually had a fair few ex players score against us. Konchesky scored last season for Fulham, Tyrone Mears a few seasons ago for Derby, Lampard obviously with annoying regularity, Defoe likewise. Lee Bowyer earlier this season. Kanoute when he played for Spurs. Joe Cole 2 seasons ago for Chelsea. Jimmy Bullard for Hull this season. Just a few off the top of my head.

And of course Tevez. And obviously, seeing as he was treated with the greatest of respect by our fans when he returned (as are the majority of our ex players, despite what the media try to imply) he repayed that respect by refusing to celebrate any goals against us.

Agree. Was good to see the tevez/west ham relationship there. But when he returned to United the way the fans booed him really annoyed me. One of my friends who is a big United fan said he was embarrased by the United fans that day.

Thought it was bloody great last night to be honest. Ferguson was more taken up in trying to keep Ronaldo rather than a great player who actually wanted to play for them. United got what they deserved imo. Loved the Tevez celebration where he did the same thing when he scored for united last season. Id say Ferguson enjoyed it too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Maurice Johnston scoring for Rangers against Celtic:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Richard Dunne scored against City a few months ago and showed some class

_46501821_dunne_credit.jpg

Well said there.

Dunne had more reason then Tevez to do what Tevez did last night but he let his football do the talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jj72 wrote: »
    Did Valencia bang one in against Wigan over the X mas....Or was i imagining things.....maybe the booze had my head mushed

He did indeed scored the 5th goal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well said there.

Dunne had more reason then Tevez to do what Tevez did last night but he let his football do the talking.

As did Tevez no?
    And how did Dunne have more reason than Tevez to do that? Was Richard Dunne booed by Man City fans every time he touched the ball? Just curious?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Jermain Defoe has bagged a fair few against fromer teams, he has scored against Spurs for Pompey and vice versa. He has also scored against West Ham for Spurs.

Luke bloody Young scored a screamer against Spurs when he was at Boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Stephen Warnock against Blackburn :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

As did Tevez no?
    And how did Dunne have more reason than Tevez to do that? Was Richard Dunne booed by Man City players every time he touched the ball? Just curious?.

What United players booed Tevez when he had the ball? Dunne had more reason cause they just offloaded him. SAF tried to sign Tevez in the sumer but he turned United down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement