Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flickr-> Pix.ie migration

• 20-01-2010 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Short version.

Long version:

I'm genuinely torn as to whether I should migrate from Flickr to pix.ie. I currently have:

My own personal website, newworldphotos.net.
    A Tumblr account under bhalash.com (if you want to spam click this link and use sheer force of will to make my DNS update, go for it).
    My Flickr account - Bhalash.

Maintaining my old blog is an (admittedly worthy) PITA. It is time-intensive, a wholly self-contained record of my photographic advancement that I have to update, host, crop images for, upload to, tag, categorize and pimp ('hay guyz, come look at my blog!'). I host my photos entirely within the site and structure it all so that it is portable. I'm not complaining about this beyond to say again that it is time-intensive.

Tumblr is fun. I started the page simply as a dumping ground for all of my whims and experiments. Again it is self-contained. Links to external photo sites and images can't be considered reliable on a timescale of more than two years so all images on Tumblr are hosted on Tumblr. The site is fast and easy to use with my only real constraint being the (teeny-tiny) image size.

It comes down to a choice of getting rid of Flickr. I barely interact with people on the site beyond to field responses to comments. I use the site to host full-size backups of my images against me blowing up my website and archives, but I consider it unreliable for linking around due to how Flickr handles permalinks.

Anyways. I'm considering moving to Pix.ie from Flickr for the sake of better interaction with Irish photographers (and I guess 'closer to home' hosting). Sell me on the site. Do they support FTP? Large-size archiving?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

as a non technical person - I find pix.ie very unweildy. I look through the random photos on this site and, if i see a photo i like, i'll hold the mouse over the photo to see if it links back somewhere. If it links to flickr I'll have a look at the photo and the persons other photos. I have given up even looking at pix.ie photos - I find it too hard to navigate and I can never find the exif data for the shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

as a non technical person - I find pix.ie very unweildy. I look through the random photos on this site and, if i see a photo i like, i'll hold the mouse over the photo to see if it links back somewhere. If it links to flickr I'll have a look at the photo and the persons other photos. I have given up even looking at pix.ie photos - I find it too hard to navigate and I can never find the exif data for the shots.
    I would have the total opposite opinion. While Flickr is technically better with more functionality I hate the layout. I hate navigating it, and I hate trying to find stuff on it. Pix.ie is far superior for this imo.

Regarding EXIF data, click on a photo, then the bottom left where it shows time / date etc click "More Properties" :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Why not talk to them directly on their own forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Jim wrote: »
    I would have the total opposite opinion. While Flickr is technically better with more functionality I hate the layout. I hate navigating it, and I hate trying to find stuff on it. Pix.ie is far superior for this imo.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Fenster wrote: »
    I'm genuinely torn as to whether I should migrate from Flickr to pix.ie.
    Feel free to drop us a line if you think there is anything we can do to assist with a migration (eg: more quota etc. for when you first upload).
    I can never find the exif data for the shots.
    EXIF data is only viewable if the user has given permission. Click the More Properties link button in the Additional Info panel on the left hand side.

Marcus

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Jim wrote: »

Regarding EXIF data, click on a photo, then the bottom left where it shows time / date etc click "More Properties" :)

++1

Pix.ie is a doddle to get around compared to flikr. It's much more user friendly AND it's Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

I was with Flickr originally and then saw a lot of links on here to pix so I opened a pix account as well. Having used both side by side I have gone back to flickr..I prefer the layout and the quantity/quality of pics as well as some of the discussions more than pix.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

maybe its co i use flickr so much... but i really cant get my head round pix... its annoys me with them spinning photos jazz and the like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Just some thoughts;

For me the search function is vital and Pix.ie needs to do some work in that area.

I tried some general searches and then tried refining them by adding words buts its impossible to tell right now because all I see is 10 pages of hits.

I want to see how many hits my search has produced and how many pages.

I want to be able to navigate to any of those pages.

I want to be able to sort the search results by date, size etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Taking into account that pix.ie is a free service, I think it's bloody brilliant. Sure there are improvements that could be made. Like different display options for members.
    Maybe the introduction of an annual fee is in the pipe line that could spur further advances in service provided. This may also allow upload restrictions/quota's to be removed.

I'm still keeping my pro account on Flickr though so I can store full size images there as a form of backup but also my friends & family all use Flickr and that's how I keep them all up to speed on how the kids are growing etc...
    Flickr has a very strong community feel to it and some of the group discussions can be very interesting a thought provoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm still waiting for the day when pix.ie implements a flickr importer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

DK32 wrote: »
    Maybe the introduction of an annual fee is in the pipe line that could spur further advances in service provided. This may also allow upload restrictions/quota's to be removed.

Recipe for disaster. A few customers are not happy and you suggest an annual fee.

I've never used that site but there are scores of alternative free fora on web, many of which are of an equal or higher standard.

Do you realise that Ireland and, consequently, it's people, is bankrupt?

Do you still recommend a fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

DK32 wrote: »
    Maybe the introduction of an annual fee is in the pipe line that could spur further advances in service provided.

I think the common business model is to provide a free service without ad's, build up a user base that enables you to sell advertising at a good price then make money off the ads until you get bought out by google, or yahoo or ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I use both and use pix more now since the upload problem was finally identified and fixed.

The biggest problems I'd see with moving fully to pix are:

No support for keywords/tags added in my own workflow, when I upload to flickr the keywords are read and added as tags, in pix they are ignored and I have a real aversion to typing stuff in twice..

No public groups/pools facility.

No lightroom uploader, I know this wont be a biggie for many but when you're used to selecting your photos and basicly uploading them to flickr with one click it's a bit of a pain to having to go back to the old process of uploading through a browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

denat wrote: »
    Recipe for disaster. A few customers are not happy and you suggest an annual fee.

I've never used that site but there are scores of alternative free fora on web, many of which are of an equal or higher standard.

Do you realise that Ireland and, consequently, it's people, is bankrupt?

Do you still recommend a fee?

I get your point Denat :)

I still think that a small fee may be an option in the future that IMO will not only help support and grow an Irish owned business but it should help improve the services and the future options for the site.

Advertisement