Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep in the curragh

Options
  • 20-01-2010 3:10pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Who is responsible for the Sheep that roam the curragh ?

I live in a estate just off the Athgarvan Road in Newbridge, prob a 15-20 minute walk to the back of the curragh and the Sheep have been roaming up here lately .

The cattle grid at the entrance to the curragh seems to be no bother to them as they have been making there way up to the estate the last couple of months and leaving the place in state.

There is Sheep Sh1te everywhere , all over the roads, all over the footpaths, tried to take the dogs for a walk there , ended up with Sh1te all over my runners and the dogs got it all over themselves (not that they were complaining , well until they got put in the bath)

I have the common decency to clean up my dogs muck after them, but I feel that who ever owns these sheep has a duty of care when they roam into housing estates,

There are alot of young kids in the estate, and personally its a pain in the ass that you cant actually walk out of your estate cause its covered in Sh1te !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Have you reported the issue with the cattle grid?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

aodh_rua wrote: »
    Have you reported the issue with the cattle grid?

Whom would I report that too ?

I dont know how they get around the cattle grid, as I have not caught them in the act , I have met them on the roads when driving home some nights.

The builder has about 8 houses left to sell in the estate, you would think he would be out there quick smart to clean the place up.

It would hardly entice you to buy , a estate full of muck

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I believe anything to do with the Curragh is governed by the Ministry of Defence? I'm not sure if I imagined that but if so, it's their responsibility to sort out the cattle grid.

That said, I'm from the Kildare town side of the Curragh and the amount of times I've found the gate beside the nearest cattle grid open is bloody ridiculous. Not to mention the filthy scumbags who think it's ok to dump old sofas in the furze but that's another matter...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I believe anything to do with the Curragh is governed by the Ministry of Defence? I'm not sure if I imagined that but if so, it's their responsibility to sort out the cattle grid.

That said, I'm from the Kildare town side of the Curragh and the amount of times I've found the gate beside the nearest cattle grid open is bloody ridiculous. Not to mention the filthy scumbags who think it's ok to dump old sofas in the furze but that's another matter...

Excellent,

What time does Joe Duffy start in the morning ? I will be on first thing in the morning demanding Willie O Dea gets down here with a shovel/brush and cleans up this mess :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have you a deep freeze and know a local butcher? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego wrote: »

Cheers for that,

Sent them an email ,

I would be very surprised if I get a reply !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Who is responsible for the Sheep that roam the curragh ?

The farmer who owns them.

You can't get close enough to read the ear tag but if you do, ring the dept of agriculture and complain - or just ring them anyway. The owner is responsible for loose animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

dont think you will get any luck from the ministry of defence. the sheep are the responsibility of the farmer. as for the cattle grid, any issues with that will have to be reported to your local councillor or directly to the council themseleves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The grids are the responsibility of the Council. I'm one of the councillors, so if you PM me the details, I'll pass the issue on to the local engineer.

• Advertisement

Sorry for my late response ,

I have been locked out since the outage during the week .

I did get a reply from my email,

As has been said its not really there problem and to contact who ever owns the sheep.

I had a walk up to the Curragh today , and there does not seem to be any issue with the cattle grid .

Its either some little twit leaving the gate open , or the sheep are just walking across the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

OP, forget about it, you may as well be whizzing into the wind!

In our lifetime, sheep will wander where they please on the Curragh, sh1tting and ambling in front of cars as they go-that just wont change!

Its better just to accept them as part of Kildare-living :D

As for people who leave gates beside grids open, you would have a better chance of explaining why that's a bad idea to the sheep!

leddpipe wrote: »
    OP, forget about it, you may as well be whizzing into the wind!

In our lifetime, sheep will wander where they please on the Curragh, sh1tting and ambling in front of cars as they go-that just wont change!

Its better just to accept them as part of Kildare-living :D

As for people who leave gates beside grids open, you would have a better chance of explaining why that's a bad idea to the sheep!

Have no problem with sheep wandering , leaving there muck , and whatever other items behind them in the Curragh as I dont live in the Curragh.
    I live in Newbridge.

I understand people will leave gates open .

I was making my way home after work one night over xmas , the gates were locked but the sheep were still the other side of the grid.

I just dont think that they should be able to wander down this far , for the reasons stated in my OP, as well as that , the Athgarvan Road is around 100-150mtrs from the entrance to my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Giggsy75

Try contacting the Ranger, he would probably know the owner of the sheep by their markings. Percy Podger is a sheep owner on the Curragh, they could possibly be his sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

Welcome to Athgarvan sheep come with the territory im afraid and they have been there 100s of years before your house was built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

kildarelad wrote: »
    Welcome to Athgarvan sheep come with the territory im afraid and they have been there 100s of years before your house was built
    It is those guys who sneak the sheep home for love and then dumping them on the roads afterwards. Terrible the way sheep **** nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Just a thought.

What would be the likely outcome if the sheep were fouling and rambling the streets of Newbridge? with shoppers slippingand sliding thriught the grunge?

Would Environmental Health have an opinion on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Have noticed an increase of them recently on the Athgarvan road just as you pass through the village and hit the few bad bends before the Kilcullen/Curragh road and it is very dangerous especially on the recent foggy mornings :eek:.

I dont live in Athgarvan ,

Nor were there any sheep knocking about when I was purchasing my home ,

I reckon its an accident waiting to happen ,

You cant really blame the farmer because some ejit keeps leaving the gate open but he will be to blame if they cause an accident outside the curragh grounds.

This is looking more and more likely , with the amount of times they seem to be getting out of the curragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

Have noticed an increase of them recently on the Athgarvan road just as you pass through the village and hit the few bad bends before the Kilcullen/Curragh road and it is very dangerous especially on the recent foggy mornings eek.gif.
    May paint them some illuminous colour so their easier to see!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

May paint them some illuminous colour so their easier to see!!!

Yes please.

Or fluorescent jackets would do ;).

Have to head out to Airpot for an early flight , anyway I hear the Baaaahhhh noise coming from outside . I look out and low and behold there is a heap of bloody sheep outside .

There in all the gardens , all over the green areas, chewing any vegetation in site . There were getting a good old feed from the hedges some of the people in the estate have planted in there gardens.

Had about 20 mins to spare before I had to head to the Airport so said I would drive up to the sheep grid at the entrance to the curragh. The gate is well and securely locked and the grid does not seem damaged.

ON driving back into the estate , I got out to see if I could get a tag number from one of there ears , but them sheep can move and I was not going to be running around after them at 5 in the morning !

I was away at the weekend , and the housemate was looking after our two dogs . They would normally sleep in the bedroom but she had them in the sitting room.

Friday,Saturday , and Sunday night at between 3 and 5 in morning she said the dogs went wild . When she looked out she said there was sheep every where.

This has got me to thinking now , Is the farmer letting them up into the estates to graze ? seems strange that there always about at this time of the day , plus that the gate was securely locked and there seems to be feck all grazing available on the curragh after all the snow and ice !

I have no problem if that is the case but he could come and clean up the bloody mess the leave behind them, although in saying that I dont think the folks that have planted hedges will be best pleased :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkmar

I'm born and reared in The Curragh and in The Curragh the sheep have right of way on the roads and everything...My Father once told me that if you knock a sheep down in The Curragh, you are at fault, but on the other hand you are allowed to put it in the boot and have it for dinner... those wooly little feckers would give you a heart attack when the go bolting across the main road from the Newbridge roundabout into The Curragh... Sheep ****e was just part of our lives growing up, we had to play football in it, community games, etc you name it and no matter who complained, nothing was ever done about it... actually not until they put the cattle grids in about 2 yrs ago... so the sheep wins me thinks...

Advertisement