Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quattro drivers will love this...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

What a stupid comparison!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

wtf, 'COMPLETELY IDENTICAL' ?!?
    surely weight is going to be a bit of a factor here..

but eh..yeah I guess it does show a decent difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Even the one on winter tyres put in a pretty poor performance, IMO.

An old Mark 3 Fiesta on RoadChamps would be a better vehicle on the snow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

SV wrote: »
    wtf, 'COMPLETELY IDENTICAL' ?!?
    surely weight is going to be a bit of a factor here..

but eh..yeah I guess it does show a decent difference!

'Completely identical' was said tongue in cheek and he did acknowledge the weight difference as well as the narrower tyres :)

I but I have to say, I can totally relate to Vicky's struggles :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Stupid comparison is right. A woman driving the 6 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

robbie99 wrote: »
    I but I have to say, I can totally relate to Vicky's struggles :o:D

Why, do you have a large jaw and a speech impediment too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

RoverJames wrote: »
    An old Mark 3 Fiesta on RoadChamps would be a better vehicle on the snow :D

Not if the awful drivers from that video were driving! Do you need to be able to drive to be a motoring journalist or can anyone apply? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sitec wrote: »
    Stupid comparison is right. A woman driving the 6 series.
    We don't need that rubbish here, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Anan1 wrote: »
    Even the one on winter tyres put in a pretty poor performance, IMO.

+1

The 6er especially could have done with a load in the boot. Sand bags, crates of beer, toolboxes, anything heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Anan1 wrote: »
    We don't need that rubbish here, thanks.
    It was a Joke. I apoligise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

But they didnt test Winters, just All Seasons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What are "cold weather tyres" now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Like these

These are without studs:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/com/en/gislaved/automobile/themes/pc_tyres/winter/soft_frost_2/benefits_softfrost_2_en.html

These are with:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/com/en/gislaved/automobile/themes/pc_tyres/winter/nord_frost_5/technical_details_nf5_en.html

There is a law in Sweden that you have to put them on, think it is in November, you have to have winter tyres, studded or studless. In Germany studs are forbidden (I just know so I thought i'd share it)

With any of the above that test would have been completely different, you can more or less drive like on tarmac with these tyres in snow/ice. I think the roads are different as well in the nordics, made from different kind of rock-base (could be wrong about that).

swe_fi wrote: »
    Like these

nope ..there is no such thing as a "cold weather tyre" ..that's just lazy journalism in the report.

The only tyres that will bring a real advantage in wintery conditions are called "winter tyres" and are recognisable by this symbol on the sidewall:

61193365_b94277fcb7.jpg

So called "all weather" or "all season" tyres have been found to be almost as useless as summer tyres in most independent winter tests. (Plus they're worse than summer tyres in the dry as well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

peasant wrote: »
    So called "all weather" or "all season" tyres have been found to be almost as useless as summer tyres in most independent winter tests. (Plus they're worse than summer tyres in the dry as well)

Agreed, I had a set of All Seasons and they performed exactly the same as Summers in cold weather, complete waste of time. Dont understand why they didnt use Winters in the test, it was like they werent even aware of their difference to All Seasons.

peasant wrote: »
    nope ..there is no such thing as a "cold weather tyre" ..that's just lazy journalism in the report.

The only tyres that will bring a real advantage in wintery conditions are called "winter tyres" and are recognisable by this symbol on the sidewall:

I hate correcting people (and i actually thought you were right) but at least Continental call them "Cold Weather tyres", they could be wrong though.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/automobile/themes/car_tyres/cold_weather_tyres/why_cold_weather/why_cold_weather_en.html

Basically cold weather tyres contain more natural rubber that stays softer during colder temperature and has grooves cut in them.

I agree all weather tyres are rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

but at least Continental call them "Cold Weather tyres"

Did you notice your link from Continental tyres is aimed at the UK? Like us, they only occasionally have a bit of cold weather. Change country on the Continental website to anywhere on the continent that gets a bit of snow more often than once every 50 years or so (i.e. Germany) and you'll find they only sell summer or winter tyres. Non of this "Cold Weather tyres" malarky ;)

I hate correcting people (and i actually thought you were right) but at least Continental call them "Cold Weather tyres", they could be wrong though.

That must be a UK/Ireland specific marketing excercise:D

As on these Islands we normally don't have anything resembling proper winter, winter tyres must be a bit of a hard sell :D

EDIT ...what unkel said :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is it just me, or did the red car not wheel spin faster than the blue car? The wheels on the red automatic car seemed to be going slightly faster in the second "test", than the wheels on the blue car...

• Advertisement

For Ireland maybe if the called them "Bad Weather tyres" that would sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For Ireland maybe if the called them "Bad Weather tyres" that would sell

Keep the day job - a career in marketing is not for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

So what this comparison tells us that winter tyres are better in snow than summer tyres?
    My god really, I'm so glad they performed this test /sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

woman driver + high torque 6 series vs man in lighter 1 series != fair comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

What a waste of time and money for everyone involved.

The obviously worse car with the worst tires vs the obviously better car with the somewhat better tires.

Autocar gone down another notch..

Advertisement