Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Republic of Ireland joining the United States of America

• 20-01-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if in the future some time, Ireland made closer ties with the US and then decided to hold a election on joining the US as a protected state or territory would you vote yes or no??, give reasons for your answer.

this thread was closed in the politics forum because the moderators decided it didint belong there due to a few people slagging off the American waight issue, so please people if you dont have anything good or constructive to add then dont bother:cool:

Would you vote yes or no to become a protected state or territory of the USA 134 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 134 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No. I'd be against it. I dislike the power of religion in this country. Last thing we need is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Would we finally get Lucky Charms sold here again?

If yes then I'm all for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

absolutely not!

Ireland isnt great atm, but its a hella better than America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

For chocolate reasons I'm going to say no but for pancake reasons I'm going to say yes.

So it's a tie really.

How slutty are the girls over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

If they built a big bridge from Salthill to Manhattan, I might take the odd drive.

Always wanted to see Letterman.

Shag it, add a Poll and you have my vote :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This sounds strangely familiar... and it didn't work out that time apparently.:pac:

I'd rather that we go into a union with Germany, at least that way we'd have more choice of beer and we could drink it everywhere, there would be autobahns all over the place and a decent public transport systems - win win!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr. Gruff

I'm not changing currency again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Abortions for some, miniature american flags for all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

phasers wrote: »

I know a shop that sells them, they're €7.50 a box though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Sure we're halfway to being the USE after the last referendum, no?
    WW3 will be between USA and USE and China, and hopefully they'll have mechas by then. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

muntain due would be on the shelves alongside cookie dough and root beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If we get to buy guns at Lidl & aldi sign me right up.*

So long as we call it the 'united states of Eire-america'

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Jesus, we've enough people stabbing each other here,
    Making it easier for them to own a gun too and we'd all be screwed :eek:

America would make it your god given right to own a gun:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

phasers wrote: »

Lucky Charms can be got in Fallon & Byrne in Dublin but for like €6.00+

bambera wrote: »
    Jesus, we've enough people stabbing each other here,

For now, but If we had guns we could shoot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

Am I the only person that still refers to ireland as a country? europe is now slowly but surely making every country a "state", i dont like how the uniqueness of our country is being taken away from us

if I was to choose id deffinately prefer to be a "state" of europe that usa, ireland is way too american as it is without us being apart of it!

although i would be all for trying to bring back the people who left ireland in the 80s and 90s to america, bring back a rise in population and end to recession!

lcrcboy wrote: »
    America would make it your god given right to own a gun:D:D

I want a free pickup truck too. In red with a gun rack. Let's not sell ourselves short here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    although i would be all for trying to bring back the people who left ireland in the 80s and 90s to america, bring back a rise in population and end to recession!
    How is bringing a load of people into a country with no jobs going to end the recession....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

DominoDub wrote: »
    Lucky Charms can be got in Fallon & Byrne in Dublin but for like €6.00+
    I know a shop that sells them, they're €7.50 a box though :(
    :eek: Ah Jaysus, America can feck right off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

muntain due would be on the shelves alongside cookie dough and root beer

Is that the bogus Mountain Dew made with anti-freeze?

you could go anywhere in the US without a stupid visa, plus Id say the americans would build massive motorways all over the country (or as they call it freeways), they probally would build a massive naval port and air base because of are location.
    And for all the anyone trigger happy they would be aloud to sign up to the US army

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

With the amount of spelling and grammar mistakes over the last two pages,I can certainly say you would all fit right into American society. :)

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is that the bogus Mountain Dew made with anti-freeze?
    same stuff but god it tastes so good:D

Morlar wrote: »
    For now, but If we had guns we could shoot them.

Yes :rolleyes: but they can shoot you too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Eh no. America is terrible.

Yes :rolleyes: but they can shoot you too

'Quick draw mcgraw' - see your getting into the american spirit of things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    Am I the only person that still refers to ireland as a country?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Twixster

As long as I can still spell colour with a u and call myself Irish (not Irish-American) I’m happy to go for it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I want a free pickup truck too. In red with a gun rack. Let's not sell ourselves short here.

They've tried that, only t'other way round. Buy a pickup and get a gun free

http://www.inquisitr.com/29539/ultimate-redneck-sales-pitch-buy-a-pickup-truck-get-a-free-machine-gun/

'Quick draw mcgraw' - see your getting into the american spirit of things!

This is the part were I pull out my dunnes stores glove, hit you across the face and say "I challenge you to a duel!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

This is the part were I pull out my dunnes stores glove, hit you across the face and say "I challenge you to a duel!"

Shouldn't that be I demand satisfaction

normal tv ends up changing from about 30 channels to hundreds (the death of sky digital)

Take yis all on .. . .

http://dirtyharrysplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/west1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Absolutely not. Our Democracy may be corrupt, but atleast it's ours. I could actually meet the TD who represents me. In the States the chance of meeting and getting to voice your concerns with your Representative in Congress is fack all. Too many people suffered and died for Irish people to just hand our sovereignty over to a massive, undemocratic entity like the States.

Oh wait. We're in the EU.

D'oh.

• Advertisement

Id say are EU neighbours would be annoyed if we did it but then again we seem to be a thorn in their side anyways, I think the americans would not have a problem with it as they see us a some sort of strategic location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

i'd rather die.

i'd rather die.

Id say its fair to say we would have a resistance force against it:D

would give the IRA something to do again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Id say its fair to say we would have a resistance force against it:D

would give the IRA something to do again:rolleyes:
    The British Army didn't have Predator drones. ;) I'd give the resistance a week, two at outside odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no way. we fought for our freedom for hundreds of years and got it. to give it away at the stroke of a pen would make a mockery of the people who laid down their lives for this country

• Advertisement

Nevore wrote: »
    The British Army didn't have Predator drones. ;) I'd give the resistance a week, two at outside odds.

Id say your right their plus those spy planes the blackbirds which fly at such a high alltitude I doubt the RA would no their being wathced

Well we could do with another Reagan to smash the air traffic controllers right about now.

no way. we fought for our freedom for hundreds of years and got it. to give it away at the stroke of a pen would make a mockery of the people who laid down their lives for this country

shure its the pretty much the same as being part of the EU:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why op? How could that benifit us at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

No and I could spend a few hours on here rattling off a million reasons why not but when it comes down to it we're our own country and we don't need to be taken 'under the wing' of the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

stupid thread, why the fcuk would we want to join them

jap gt wrote: »
    stupid thread, why the fcuk would we want to join them

its a thread asking if you would vote yes or no to joining and give reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Just wondering if in the future some time, Ireland made closer ties with the US and then decided to hold a election on joining the US as a protected state or territory would you vote yes or no??, give reasons for your answer.

this thread was closed in the politics forum because the moderators decided it didint belong there due to a few people slagging off the American waight issue, so please people if you dont have anything good or constructive to add then dont bother:cool:

No. We have enough mein feiner politians and religious lunatics here as it is without an evangelical "republican" as our political leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

we have already voted to hand our country to european powers:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm going to be serious and say no. After fighting against British rule, we would be spitting in the faces of all those who fought for Irish Independence. It would be a disgrace and if Ireland did join the United States, I would be ashamed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement