Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Republic of Ireland joining the United States of America

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

MarcoT8 wrote: »
    I love and hate lots about America.
    I hate their foreign policy and their health care system and stuff like that,
    but you got to love their junk food went there 4 months ago and went to a "Dunkin Donuts" (saw someone getting ratty about spelling that is the way the coffee shop is spelt) the food there is addictive also love places like New York, Boston and Florida.

A yes from me

I disagree while their healthcare isint great Obama is trying to make improvments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Long after we are gone Ireland will apparently be right next door to USA :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is the USA not more in debt than we are?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What a daft original question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

hmmm.

I voted "no" only because I couldnt see a "No, are you completly fcuking insane?" option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,193 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You act as if we'd want you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Automatic Green card -> move to L.A. -> meet Pamela Anderson -> get Married -> live happily ever after -> The end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Wow. Almost 25% voted yes. Shocker. As much as there is wrong with Ireland, the fact America is almost in a perpetual state of war is enough to swing my vote. 21 to have a beer, 16 to get the death sentence and go kill people in another country, give it up for the land of the free. There is much I admire about U.S.A. but I really wouldn't want to be part of that nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭flowersagogo

something new to stick yer visa in. (aaargh-post 74,very funny) could'nt live with ten to life for spliff tho....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Ive seen a few people on here looking for things like root beer in Ireland and Im he same cant find anywhere for shure.

I'm off to da States in 2 weeks time and gonna bring back a heap of MUG or A&W Root Beer....diet of course :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 atoz

saw a post on leaving the EU and then started flicking threw old threads this came up, ya i would join up to the USA more in common with them then the rest of the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Not a hope, although the whole right to bare arms to keep the King of England out of our faces may come in handy in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Dont you think unbridled Capitalism has done enough damage here?
    I think we should be moving furthur away from America , not closer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The way things are going, we're going to be a part of the der european bundestag soon. We've more in common with the yanks than the krauts or the surrender monkeys so i say we throw our lot in with them

I still maintain we should let Blizzard to buy the whole country and turn us into a world of warcraft theme park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

El Siglo wrote: »
    This sounds strangely familiar... and it didn't work out that time apparently.:pac:

I'd rather that we go into a union with Germany, at least that way we'd have more choice of beer and we could drink it everywhere, there would be autobahns all over the place and a decent public transport systems - win win!!!:D

We would never be tolerated by the Germans and that's a certainty, without major reforms. Just think of all the lazy good for nothings that would have to work and actually be productive, for chrissake....how would they cope ? More trauma and stress claims and over-hyped medical reports, no damn way. All the dodgers, late in to work in the a.m. and first out in the p.m. and virtually nothing productionwise in between. The Germans would rout them fairly fast and wouldn't it be just great.

And how would the listless ones respond ?.....Oh they'd write a song about it and maybe call it |: "Oh the Huns are Here.......St Patrick's been Erased....or some such lamentation.
    Lament is our thing though and we do it rather well so that will survive.

An Germáin anseo ?........Nil aon Slí !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Join the US ?
    and get treated like Puerto RIco ? - Taxation without representation

Social welfare doesn't exist
    public transport doesn't exist - will cost a fortune to convert the mad cow roundabout for left hand drive
    Gun laws
    Brazillians of Lawyers
    All the US companies here would flee to tax havens
    education - the US is one of the few places where people will seriously propose reducing spending on education so they can save a few cents on gasoline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Automatic Green card -> move to L.A. -> meet Pamela Anderson -> get Married -> live happily ever after ->contract hepatitius -> The end

Fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I said no for religious, political, economic and law reasons. The laws over there are crazy! The whole working 24/7 thing is just mad. The culture there is fine when in America but its not so enlighting when its flashed about here in Ireland anyway i.e slang, dress sense, fashion, food and society so think we're americanised as it is without having to be part of a US colony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 atoz

Join the US ?

public transport doesn't exist - will cost a fortune to convert the mad cow roundabout for left hand drive
    Gun laws
    Brazillians of Lawyers
    education - the US is one of the few places where people will seriously propose reducing spending on education so they can save a few cents on gasoline

ya i read that about Puerto Rico its messed up the way that cant vote for president but they do have a leading governor who makes a lot of the decissions, however being to puerto rico myself it is bad to see they state of the housing and shanty town and being part of America, its like they dont care about the place. But on the other hand the US virgin islands are pretty well off so maybe its more down to history and culture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

50k to go to college
    700 a month for health insurance that covers nothing
    Can have your phone tapped for no reason.
    No-fly lists
    All food in the supermarket contaminated with steroids and/or pesticides (even the peas)
    Wal-Mart

Yea, let's join the fat slobs.

At the way the country is going and if it gets worse then it would only be a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Mak_United wrote: »
    At the way the country is going and if it gets worse then it would only be a good choice.

It'll never be that bad. I'd rather be picking bugs out of potatoes and eating roadkill before I'd join that uber-capitalist hell-on-earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

50k to go to college
    700 a month for health insurance that covers nothing
    Can have your phone tapped for no reason.
    No-fly lists
    All food in the supermarket contaminated with steroids and/or pesticides (even the peas)
    Wal-Mart

Yea, let's join the fat slobs.

Don't forget NFL games would never be the same again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

I voted yes due to my love of American culture, but on second thoughts, that may have been a little rash! What with the whole college fees, health costs, potential military consequences etc...

bonerm wrote: »
    It'll never be that bad. I'd rather be picking bugs out of potatoes and eating roadkill before I'd join that uber-capitalist hell-on-earth.

Whats so bad about it though?

The perks out way the con's imo.

Perks,
    • Strongest currency.
    • Need no visa to move over and live there.
    • Company's will move over and open business's here, which in turn will generate more jobs.
    • New state of the art roads and motorways.
    • Technology.

Con's,
    • Big Army base in Ireland for the US.

Thats probably about it for the con's, i don't like the way people come up with reasons such as "There all fat", "There all idoits" etc etc as they are not con's, thats just your personal hatred.

Lets be honest, would you rather be part of the US or UK?

I know which one i would rather pick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

[*]Strongest currency..

For now............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Just wondering if in the future some time, Ireland made closer ties with the US and then decided to hold a election on joining the US as a protected state or territory would you vote yes or no??, give reasons for your answer.

this thread was closed in the politics forum because the moderators decided it didint belong there due to a few people slagging off the American waight issue, so please people if you dont have anything good or constructive to add then dont bother:cool:

Nice thought..but the key issue for me is, it will not be up to Ireland to make such a decision. Will the Americans want to take up Ireland as a protectorate?...

I honestly cant answer that question but for sure Israel has a far better chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

pmcmahon wrote: »
    With the amount of spelling and grammar mistakes over the last two pages,I can certainly say you would all fit right into American society. :)

Them is fightin wurds mistuh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Whats so bad about it though?

The perks out way the con's imo.

Perks,
    • Strongest currency.
    • Need no visa to move over and live there.
    • Company's will move over and open business's here, which in turn will generate more jobs.
    • New state of the art roads and motorways.
    • Technology.

Con's,
    • Big Army base in Ireland for the US.

Thats probably about it for the con's, i don't like the way people come up with reasons such as "There all fat", "There all idoits" etc etc as they are not con's, thats just your personal hatred.

Lets be honest, would you rather be part of the US or UK?

I know which one i would rather pick.

The UK right? Then you could support a football club from your own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Id rather be part of UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm well up for it,Ireland couldn't be anymore than the **** box it is now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Join the US ?

Gun laws
    Brazillians of Lawyers

Puerto Ricans don't pay federal taxes (unless they work for the federal government), but get a lot of welfare, which is part of the reason why they won't ever be a state or independent.

As for Ireland joining the US, we have enough religious nutjobs and corrupt politicians, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

jap gt wrote: »
    stupid thread, why the fcuk would we want to join them

Why the fcuk would they want us ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

RedPlanet wrote: »
    We are a neutral country.

LMFAO, we are NOT neutral.... jeez

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Why the fcuk would they want us ?

Well they have an Irish president so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Well they have an Irish president so...

So did Mexico .....what's your point ?

So did Mexico .....what's your point ?

Pretty obvious I would have thought ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    absolutely not!

Ireland isnt great atm, but its a hella better than America.

Have you ever actually lived in the U.S.? It's actually a pretty good country and the people are a lot different to the usual tourists we get over here. I've lived roughly half my life here and half in the U.S. and it's a much better place to live than here. Ireland has much more in common with the U.S. than any European country, that's for sure.

Have you ever actually lived in the U.S.? It's actually a pretty good country and the people are a lot different to the usual tourists we get over here. I've lived roughly half my life here and half in the U.S. and it's a much better place to live than here. Ireland has much more in common with the U.S. than any European country, that's for sure.

Would not agree with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Really? With the exception of Britain, what country do you think Ireland has more in common with than the US?

• Advertisement

Oh? What does Ireland have in common with Europe?

Oh? What does Ireland have in common with Europe?

Read the post that I answered, he said "any country in Europe"

I would have thought we have a lot in common with the UK

Really? With the exception of Britain, what country do you think Ireland has more in common with than the US?

As you say the UK, the poster said any country in Europe

Read the post that I answered, he said "any country in Europe"

I would have thought we have a lot in common with the UK

Both the U.S. and Ireland were once British colonies. Both the U.S. and Ireland have fought a war of independence against Britain. Both the U.S. and Ireland have a strong Catholic tradition (for better or worse). I'm sure there's more but that should do for now.

I'd say the Irish have more in common with the U.S. than with Britain.

Edit: Another thing, the Irish helped build the U.S. and are recognized for that. Ask any white American and they'll probably say they have some Irish in them. They also helped build Britain and were treated like animals. Many British people are still prejudiced against the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

They might give us a bridge to New York! :D

Both the U.S. and Ireland were once British colonies. Both the U.S. and Ireland have fought a war of independence against Britain. Both the U.S. and Ireland have a strong Catholic tradition (for better or worse). I'm sure there's more but that should do for now.

I'd say the Irish have more in common with the U.S. than with Britain.

Would disagree with you, that is not to say that we do not have a great deal in common with the US :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

aside from turning the country into a prime candidate for terrorist attacks, id actually quite like to see ireland become part of the states once it was afforded the same kind of freedom states have for self governance in america

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

We'd have to drive on the wrong side of the road then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

That crazy why would we want to join a country where the two main political parties are knee deep in corruption, greed and imperialism? Keep Ireland Irish!!

haha I see what you did there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

That crazy why would we want to join a country where the two main political parties are knee deep in corruption, greed and imperialism? Keep Ireland Irish!!

It's great to have a good laugh before bed.

Advertisement