Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Republic of Ireland joining the United States of America

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Protection from who exactly? I think we'd be more likely to be attacked by terrorists if we were 'American'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

2 stroke wrote: »
    We'd have to drive on the wrong side of the road then.

Haven't you noticed, a lot of drivers here already drive on the wrong side of the road a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No.
    We need to get further from America and closer to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

No.
    We need to get further from America and closer to Europe.
    :eek: Lol I came on here to suggest the exact opposite. Crazy Europeans comin over here with their chiseled bodies and tan features, eatin our horses spoutin their foreign shpiel. I won't have have it! God no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

People, people! You're forgetting one of the biggest advantages here...

This would finally give d4 girls the perfect excuse for that accent (like, totally!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

im going to say yes because it would make my life infinately easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

No. Forever no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Are we talking about America as portrayed in movies and on TV, or the real America?

More than a few people here have not got a clue of the difference and clearly have never been over there. I suppose they'll say that they are entitled to an opinion.

It's not a serious thread of course but I would love for somebody to try to explain to me how exactly Ireland is better than America. I got an especially good kick out of the references to religious nutjobs. This is a little ironic coming from a country that had a constitution endorsed by the Roman Catholic clergy, whereas religious freedom was in the US constitution from the off - over two centuries ago!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

We are Irish. We are also Europeans. We are not Americans so no, thanks.

We are no more European than the Vietnamese are Australian, but if the politicians tell us we are European enough times ...

• Advertisement

Vietnam isn't in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

hahaha cant beilve my thread has come back up after such a long time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

looks like Germany, France and the UK are after us
    we could be limeys, frogs and uptight + boring

eightyfish wrote: »
    Vietnam isn't in Australia.

No, but if they formed a Union and had a common currency with Vietnamese politico-tossers going to a Canberra parliament for a gravy train, then euro-logic determines that Vietam would indeed be in Australia.

topper75 wrote: »
    then euro-logic determines that Vietam would indeed be in Australia.
    Yeah but it's not, and Ireland is in the continent of Europe. Like it or not, you're European.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Absolutely yes.

No visas needed to live/work there.

Also:
    They've got great food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

We are no more European than the Vietnamese are Australian, but if the politicians tell us we are European enough times ...

I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but we are European. Ireland is ethnically and geographically European and there is ZERO argument about that simple fact.

ZERO argument?

Hawaii is a US state. It is 2563 miles from any other part of the United States. We are 2587 miles away from it. I wouldn't say our 24-mile defecit counts as "ZERO argument".

At the end of the day - anyone of my generation and younger (I'm 35) had Europe rammed down our throats in school. Back in the day it was referred to as the EEC. There is a unification agenda going on there that Ireland was sweetened into with payments to farmers and road schemes etc. Even we we said no in a vote and stated that the euro project had come far enough for us, it was steamrolled. They won't even let democracy get in the way of their project.

Ethnically European? how so? i'd love to hear that one - is it something to do with the latté-drinking culture of Dublin Tiger cubs? Europeans are different to us. They do things differently. I don't dislike them but I don't identify with them either. Not one bit. In fact, they are profoundly different to us ethnically. The euro project changes us to km and kilograms but these are surface things and ultimately this nonsense is doomed. Other than their efforts at pidgin English, I can't even communicate with them. More than a little stumbling block to being ethnically european - wouldn't you say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The US is a shít hole for the most part. Most people that have a huge love for the place and think it's so amazing have probably never been there.

The US is in the economic shít worse than we are and there are little to no jobs. The divide between left and right there is extreme and the media makes our media look like actual journalists.

Plus we're not in America so it would be pretty tough to be a part of the United States of America.

/stupid thread.

anyone of my generation and younger (I'm 35) had Europe rammed down our throats in school. Back in the day it was referred to as the EEC.

Ah so you have a problem with the EU? Well that's different. It has no bearing on your idea of not being European. A man born in China is Asian and Chinese and that's just the way it is.
    There is a unification agenda going on there that Ireland was sweetened into with payments to farmers and road schemes etc. Even we we said no in a vote and stated that the euro project had come far enough for us, it was steamrolled. They won't even let democracy get in the way of their project.

You may call it a European agenda, just attach "agenda" to the end of something to make it seem sinister - gay agenda etc. We are all in Europe and we'er are better off coming at the rest of the world together - in cooperation - than we are alone. If it weren't for the EU and the Euro Ireland would be completley destroyed already - we would be sitting there with a valueless currency like Iceland. Even if we do go bankrupt as a country the EU will bail us out. Being all alone as a country, in some sort of nationalist ideal, is a republican fairytale and nothing more.
    Europeans are different to us. They do things differently. I don't dislike them but I don't identify with them either. Not one bit. In fact, they are profoundly different to us ethnically.

Buy we ARE European. We are different to the French, and the French are different to the Germans and you can follow that trend all around Europe if you want. The best virtue that Europe has is its variance. We are all still Europeans.
    The euro project changes us to km and kilograms but these are surface things and ultimately this nonsense is doomed. Other than their efforts at pidgin English, I can't even communicate with them. More than a little stumbling block to being ethnically european - wouldn't you say?

Oh so they must make the effort to speak English perfectly or you won't identify with them? How's your Finnish?

Like it or not we're geographically together, as countries we evolved together, we have shared differences and shared histories and we are all European - certainly before we are American.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

OisinT wrote: »
    The US is a shít hole for the most part. Most people that have a huge love for the place and think it's so amazing have probably never been there.

The US is in the economic shít worse than we are and there are little to no jobs. The divide between left and right there is extreme and the media makes our media look like actual journalists.

Plus we're not in America so it would be pretty tough to be a part of the United States of America.

/stupid thread.
    Agree. USA would not want the republic.

ZERO argument?

Hawaii is a US state. It is 2563 miles from any other part of the United States. We are 2587 miles away from it. I wouldn't say our 24-mile defecit counts as "ZERO argument".

At the end of the day - anyone of my generation and younger (I'm 35) had Europe rammed down our throats in school. Back in the day it was referred to as the EEC. There is a unification agenda going on there that Ireland was sweetened into with payments to farmers and road schemes etc. Even we we said no in a vote and stated that the euro project had come far enough for us, it was steamrolled. They won't even let democracy get in the way of their project.

Ethnically European? how so? i'd love to hear that one - is it something to do with the latté-drinking culture of Dublin Tiger cubs? Europeans are different to us. They do things differently. I don't dislike them but I don't identify with them either. Not one bit. In fact, they are profoundly different to us ethnically. The euro project changes us to km and kilograms but these are surface things and ultimately this nonsense is doomed. Other than their efforts at pidgin English, I can't even communicate with them. More than a little stumbling block to being ethnically european - wouldn't you say?

It's terrifying that you are 35 and do not know that Ireland is part of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

OisinT wrote: »

/stupid thread.

Yeah? So how long did you live there? 15 years myself, and I think it's a great country. Yes, it has it's flaws like any other country but it's a damn sight better than any European country (except maybe Norway, but they're a smug bunch of bastards) and a hell of a lot better than Ireland. It's gone to shít in recent years, yes, but Americans are more than capable of pulling themselves out of it. Ireland, on the other hand, depends on handouts from Europe to survive. This country could learn a lot about how Americans do things.

Yeah? So how long did you live there? 15 years myself, and I think it's a great country. Yes, it has it's flaws like any other country but it's a damn sight better than any European country (except maybe Norway, but they're a smug bunch of bastards) and a hell of a lot better than Ireland. It's gone to shít in recent years, yes, but Americans are more than capable of pulling themselves out of it. Ireland, on the other hand, depends on handouts from Europe to survive. This country could learn a lot about how Americans do things.

In your opinion that is. I have also lived in the US and in my opinion I still much prefer any European country over America for a vast multitude of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

karma_ wrote: »
    It's terrifying that you are 35 and do not know that Ireland is part of Europe.

And still measures distances in miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

10 years. It's a dump. The people are obnoxious, the government is corrupt, the media is ridiculous and many other flaws.

I'd rather live in any other European country than the US.

I don't know how old you are or when you lived there, but things there are not good. Some cities are ok, but they are few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I remember mentioning this in class when I was about 11, and the other kids laughed at me, but the teacher was quick to stop them - it was around the time of Bill Clinton's famous visit to Ireland (he drove past my school during Break) and he said that he could see this happening due to the politics of America and Ireland becoming intertwined at the time with the Peace Process.

Even aged 11 I was thinking outside the box

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭colc1

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Just wondering if in the future some time, Ireland made closer ties with the US and then decided to hold a election on joining the US as a protected state or territory would you vote yes or no??, give reasons for your answer.

this thread was closed in the politics forum because the moderators decided it didint belong there due to a few people slagging off the American waight issue, so please people if you dont have anything good or constructive to add then dont bother:cool:

I have many American friends and relatives but no way... what the hell would we achieve the values of the EU are superior, e.g. no death penalty and the religious stuff would just put us in danger/a target for terrorism....

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭colc1

Ethnically European? how so? i'd love to hear that one - is it something to do with the latté-drinking culture of Dublin Tiger cubs? Europeans are different to us. They do things differently. I don't dislike them but I don't identify with them either. Not one bit.

Profoundly different from other human beings?? How can that be? They have the same morals, hopes, dreams and fears as the rest of us as someone who's travelled a lot around Europe and has many friends from many different european countries. The big difference is probably that religion has more influence in the US than in Ireland or any other european country we are a much more secular society thats about it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is a little ironic coming from a country that had a constitution endorsed by the Roman Catholic clergy, whereas religious freedom was in the US constitution from the off - over two centuries ago!!!!
    Not much has change we still aren't WASP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

US pints of smaller :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I remember mentioning this in class when I was about 11, and the other kids laughed at me, but the teacher was quick to stop them - it was around the time of Bill Clinton's famous visit to Ireland (he drove past my school during Break) and he said that he could see this happening due to the politics of America and Ireland becoming intertwined at the time with the Peace Process.

Even aged 11 I was thinking outside the box

Bill wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I think I would have to start a new terrorist organisation if that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

I think I would have to start a new terrorist organisation if that happened.

or you could just join osama and the boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You probably have to live outside Europe for awhile to really appreciate how completely lunatic it is for people in the "british" isles to consider themselves outside Europe the way they do.

Look at a map sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hard to know which would be better for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,193 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

InTheTrees wrote: »
    You probably have to live outside Europe for awhile to really appreciate how completely lunatic it is for people in the "british" isles to consider themselves outside Europe the way they do.

Look at a map sometime.
    I suppose it would be a bit like Cuba or Key West for that matter saying it wasn't part of North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    Am I the only person that still refers to ireland as a country? europe is now slowly but surely making every country a "state", i dont like how the uniqueness of our country is being taken away from us

if I was to choose id deffinately prefer to be a "state" of europe that usa, ireland is way too american as it is without us being apart of it!

although i would be all for trying to bring back the people who left ireland in the 80s and 90s to america, bring back a rise in population and end to recession!

You need to look up the definition of a state.

Advertisement