Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team Of The Decade - Left back

• 20-01-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

Team so far is

GK-Shay Given
    RB-Gary Neville

I'm pretty sure i haven't made any glaring omissions. If i have then choose the other option when you vote and state the name of the player on thread.

The nominations are,

EPL TEAM OF THE DECADE LEFT BACK VOTE 106 votes

Patrice Evra
    0% 0 votes
    Gael Clichy
    23% 25 votes
    Stephen Warnock
    4% 5 votes
    Leighton Baines
    0% 0 votes
    Phil Neville
    0% 0 votes
    John Arne Riise
    0% 1 vote
    Ashley Cole
    2% 3 votes
    Other
    67% 72 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Just put Ashley Cole down and lock her up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ashley Cole at a canter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ashley Cole has been doing it for longer than Evra so he takes it. They are neck and neck in the last couple of years with Evra edging Cole for 1 season before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Evra has taken both the Boards.ie World XI and EPL 09 team left-back spots.

However if he takes this one it's just ridiculous.

Ashley Cole by some distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ashley Cole, hes being the most consistent left back in the league over the decade by far and a great asset to both Arsenal and Chelsea and is having the season of his life at Chelsea with the diamond enabling him to get forward and contribute goals.

/ thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would argue that currently Evra is better, especially over the last couple of seasons.

However, simple fact is Ashley Cole is very easily the best left back in the PL of the last decade, and would be up there as best LB in the world over the last decade.

Really, he should win this at 100%. There simply isn't a good argument to vote anyone over him imo.

No doubt there will be arguments over who hasn't been included on the list, but it doesn't matter in the end, Cole trumps everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I prefer Evra.

Cole has more prem years though with Arsenal.

No other chocie but to pick him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sh1t i was distracted by something and i voted for Phil Neville:o

I meant to vote for Cole. Plenty of pace, can defend well, can score & create goals and most importantly he is consistent. Best left back in the world imo.

Poll should be public so we can see who has the red tinted specs firmly stuck on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Cashley. Next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

god that felt dirty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

super-rush wrote: »
    Sh1t i was distracted by something and i voted for Phil Neville:o

I meant to vote for Cole. Plenty of pace, can defend well, can score & create goals and most importantly he is consistent. Best left back in the world imo.

You fool! I wondered who that was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wayne Bridge should be in the poll but all other options are irrelevant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Pains me to do it, but has to be A.Cole.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there is no other viable option for the decade than Mr Cheryl Cole.

i wish there was, i really do, but there isn't.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wayne Bridge should be in the poll but all other options are irrelevant anyway.

really? Having spent most of the time on the bench at Chelsea and City since 2003, I don't think he really should be. between 2003 and 2009 he only played 87 games for Chelsea.

really? Having spent most of the time on the bench at Chelsea and City since 2003, I don't think he really should be. between 2003 and 2009 he only played 87 games for Chelsea.
    Good few injuries, was top class. Only reason we signed Cole was Bridge was injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well I'm using Riise as the benchmark so if he's there then Bridge has as good a case if not better.

CHD wrote: »
    Good few injuries, was top class. Only reason we signed Cole was Bridge was injury prone.

so? injuries did affect him, but it still means he didn't play much so should be considered as the best LB over the last 10 years. Simply didn't play enough.

Injuries stopped him from playing, so how can he be the best player?

I'm not doubting his actual ability, on his day he can be fantastic, but hasn't played enough consistently over the last 10 years.

imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some interesting facts...Ashley Cole has been in the Premier League since 2000, Evra since 2006.

In that time Evra has won 3 Premier League titles to Cole's 2 as well as a Champions League title to Cole's 0.

Whilst Cole has made the PFA Team of the Year on three occasions to Evra's 2, interestingly the 3 times Cole made the team were in the years he was with Arsenal and coincidentally the years when Evra wasn't in the Premiership - 2002, 2004, 2005.

To sum up, Evra > Cole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Some interesting facts...Ashley Cole has been in the Premier League since 2000, Evra since 2006.

In that time Evra has won 3 Premier League titles to Cole's 2 as well as a Champions League title to Cole's 0.

Whilst Cole has made the PFA Team of the Year on three occasions to Evra's 2, interestingly the 3 times Cole made the team were in the years he was with Arsenal and coincidentally the years when Evra wasn't in the Premiership - 2002, 2004, 2005.

To sum up, Evra > Cole.

Joke?

Sorry, I'd like to but we can't write off 6 excellent years with Arsenal.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well I'm using Riise as the benchmark so if he's there then Bridge has as good a case if not better.

I'd question his inclusion too - as well as Neville, and warnock, and basically everyone on that list. Evra, no matter how good he is, has only been in the league 3 full seasons.

There really are no decent challengers to Cole in this category imo. no one has performed for long enough over the decade.

In saying that, then i suppose you are right - to provide other options you do need to reduce your personal criteria for games played.

To sum up, Evra > Cole.

Even if you take you argument as fact - the previous 6 years were fantastic for Cole in the prem - and we are voting for best prem LB over the last 10 years.

noodler wrote: »
    Joke?

Sorry, I'd like to but we can't write off 6 excellent years with Arsenal.

You can't write off the fact his peers deemed Evra better than him when the Frenchman came on the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

dont think i could bring myself to vote for cashley

id feel too dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

He'll always be C*ntley C*nt to me, but damn me if he wasn't the worlds best left back. People seem to forget that he was at his peak in the first half of the decade as he smashed his way onto the scene. Think it will be a long time before we see individual performances as good from a LB as those he gave in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Warnock- seriously??? Jesus was the decade that bad for left backs that he made the list!

Yeah and Cole by a country mile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Cole at a canter. Easily the best.

*goes for a shower*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

[x] thread needs more pics of his missus.

• Advertisement

To sum up, Evra > Cole.
    :pac:

laser_glasses.jpg

:pac:

laser_glasses.jpg

I do enjoy your well-argued, in-depth retorts, CHD.

A smilie AND a pic. That sure settles the debate once and for all. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

co385_307636a.jpg

v

2__Patrice_Evra_and_548777a.jpg

The ninja wins!

I do enjoy your well-argued, in-depth retorts, CHD.

A smilie AND a pic. That sure settles the debate once and for all. Cheers.
    There is no debate. You are wrong. Accept it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

While I hate him (arsenal fan), it has to be Cashley. Althought I voted for Clichy:p

Do it Gael

There is no debate. You are wrong. Accept it and move on.

I'm not wrong, I just happen to have a different opinion than you do. They are both top left backs but I've made my case for why Evra edges out Cole.

I'd love to hear you offer up your reasons for choosing Cole as opposed to rubbishing Evra off the bat and declaring anyone who picks Evra to be wearing red-tinted specs (which is funny considering who you support and your myopia on this subject)

• Advertisement

I'm not wrong, I just happen to have a different opinion than you do. They are both top left backs but I've made my case for why Evra edges out Cole.

I'd love to hear you offer up your reasons for choosing Cole as opposed to rubbishing Evra off the bat and declaring anyone who picks Evra to be wearing red-tinted specs (which is funny considering who you support and your myopia on this subject)
    Its nothing to do with being a Chelsea fan as you can plainly see Cole is regarded as the better LB over the decade. He is hated by most yet they can still see he is the better LB over the decade because get this, he is!

Your entitled to your opinion of course but IMO you are wrong. I will not be going into it in greater detail, it is not needed.

Theres no doubting how good Evra is but if your taking it is a 10 year period to see whos best its Cole hands down, he has been there since the start and has been absolutely brillant in that time.

Im a Chelsea fan and up until this year I would have argued his best years were at Arsenal but the last 5-6 months he has been one of our best performers and this seasons best left back in the league.

Anybody picking Evra is clearly wrong, considering its a poll of the decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We had players not in the poll before that was ridiculous but not having Mikael Silvestre in the poll is just too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eagle eye wrote: »
    We had players not in the poll before that was ridiculous but not having Mikael Silvestre in the poll is just too much.

You have strange opinions sometimes so I just don't know if that's sarcasm.

jeez - i thought Silvestre was a striker....:D

• Advertisement

Its nothing to do with being a Chelsea fan as you can plainly see Cole is regarded as the better LB over the decade. He is hated by most yet they can still see he is the better LB over the decade because get this, he is!

Your entitled to your opinion of course but IMO you are wrong. I will not be going into it in greater detail, it is not needed.

It's funny when Evra won the other poll beating Cole you dismissed the results as being down to United fans, yet you regard this poll as fine and dandy because Cole happens to be winning it.

Evra was named in the FifPro World XI team for 2009 which represents 42 associations worldwide. He was also named in the PFA Team of the Year in 2009 by his peers. Why do you think this is? Where is Cole?
    gavredking wrote:
    Anybody picking Evra is clearly wrong, considering its a poll of the decade.

So Ronaldo couldn't be regarded as best winger of the decade because he hasn't been there for ten years? I don't think so.

So Ronaldo couldn't be regarded as best winger of the decade because he hasn't been there for ten years? I don't think so.

Considering this is the Left Back poll I dont think it has anything to do with Ronaldo, unless he has lined out for Utd at left back. I will argue my Ronaldo point when it comes to picking a winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Someone else on the ball with my same cheeky comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Well, if it boils down to years actually in the EPL during the decade, then surely the Neviller would win seeing as he's going around donkeys :D

Surely you can have a really impressive few years and still be considered a player of the decade (Ronaldo, anyone?)

It's Evra for me...

It's funny when Evra won the other poll beating Cole you dismissed the results as being down to United fans, yet you regard this poll as fine and dandy because Cole happens to be winning it.

Yeah I do, they are finally being sensible.
    wrote:
    Evra was named in the FifPro World XI team for 2009 which represents 42 associations worldwide. He was also named in the PFA Team of the Year in 2009 by his peers. Why do you think this is? Where is Cole? .

Since when is 2009 a decade? Funny how you are the only one saying he should be picked. At least the others had the sense to vote for him because he is a United player and then leave it a that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

um, no.

Ronaldo may have done enough in his few years to outdo all other RW. that will be arguable when that comes up.

in many people's opinion Evra has not done enough in the last 3 years to outstrip Cole's 10 years of consistency and often brilliance.

i voted for Evra in the other poll, but he has not done near enough to be classed as better than Cole over the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dumb comparison.

Ronaldo wouldn't have anybody remotely close to him in terms of talent for the spot in right midfield.

Evra has been compared for the couple of years he has been in the league with Cole and its very close between them over Evra's time in the league, but Cole has been one of the top performers year after year this decade.

no - that is not the point.

If there was a winger that was consistently regarded as one of the best in the world playing in the premiership for 6 years longer than Ronaldo had been, then yeah, they should probably be considered above Ronaldo.

IMO, there hasn't been though.

It isn't a case of Cole being an average full back who has been playing prem football for 10 years, it is a case of Cole being arguably the best LB for 6 years, and then (at worst, for arguments sake) 2nd best for 4.

I would say Evra has been better than Cole over the last 4 years, but not so substantially that it outweighs the previous 6 years completely.

Cole has been more often than not fantastic for 10 years. Evra for 3 and a half. In voting for a player of the decade, their contribution over the 10 years in comparison to his oppostion in the vote has to be taken into account.

There is no way Evra has been better every year since he joined. Cole was better in Evra's first season and last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Cole was better in Evra's first season

This I'll give you.
    CHD wrote:
    and last year.

not a chance

• Advertisement
Advertisement