Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline discussing Limerick regeneration

Options
  • 20-01-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

discussing the relocation of council estate resident to posh areas of the city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

How about they discuss the relocation of them to rural towns where there aren't the Garda resources/interest to deal with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    How about they discuss the relocation of them to rural towns where there aren't the Garda resources/interest to deal with them?

That is being discussed also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

To be honest those people from Raheen have got their terminology wrong. The trouble makers that were moved in, are not moved under the hospices of regeneration. This is part of the social rehousing scheme which has been in effect for many years. Regneration has done very little for Limerick, other than pay for the huge lunch expenses, company cars, and salaries of the people running the rengernation offices out of watchhouse cross in Moyross, and of course raise the profile of these anti-social incidents. And now they are out of money. I remember hearing mouth piece O'Dea on 95FM a couple of years ago saying that city hall have never received any complaints from residents in areas where people had been rehoused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I wouldn't consider any area of Limerick to be posh. Some people would like to think so for status reasons and some out of begrudgery but the reality is that at the end of the day it is Limerick. Posh it aint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Them?

Garda resources?

Yes as all of them/us are scumbags.

• Advertisement

john_cappa wrote: »
    Them?

Garda resources?

Any of the ones that have been relocated out my way seem to be. I'm sure plenty of the relocated people are decent folk, I just haven't encountered any them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Billy,im from raheen,im not "posh" most people here are normal quiet people
    Its like me saying your scum cause your from an area

john_cappa wrote: »
    Them?

Garda resources?

Yeah them that act scummy/anti social.Theres people from southill beside us and we only know because they told us,great neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I see it's back to the US and THEM scenario again.

Who are YOU? Who are THEY?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

RonMexico wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider any area of Limerick to be posh. Some people would like to think so for status reasons and some out of begrudgery but the reality is that at the end of the day it is Limerick. Posh it aint.

That's for sure.

However the council or whoever of the many (unaccountable) bodies that are resposible for rehousing people in areas should be made to be more accountable.
    The heartache, tears and fear that have been inflicted by these leeches on so many people (myself included) is unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    I see it's back to the US and THEM scenario again.

Who are YOU? Who are THEY?

:(

What would you call it so Berty?Ok we had a family living in the road where i live causing all sorts of crap,so i would say THEY

ME..im a quiet decent law abiding person along with my family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Yeah them that act scummy/anti social.Theres people from southill beside us and we only know because they told us,great neighbours

EDIT: Vampy is clearly a fair-minded and non-judgemental Neighbour !!!!!!!!!

Dooradoyle/Raheen has no entitlement to any ideas of grandeur/poshness.

- Fact is that if these Folks moved from Southhill to Raheen/Dooradoyle they now have poorer infrastructure, less green areas and no fcuking Park.....

The utterly stupid Members of Limericks Planning Office should be put on an open top Bus, driven around Limerick City and Suburbs and it should be slowly and patiently explained to them how massively ignorant they are in terms of the basics of planning.....

......Every time they pass 500 houses built on a space for 200 houses with no infrastructural or recreational allowances of any kind they should be taken off the Bus an made kneel in front of it for 30 minutes to have some time to think about how vapid, dull and ineffectual they are as untalented, foolish, Amateurs.

The Planning Office is responsible for so many future of Limerick future disadvantaged Estates - an that includes EVERY suburb out there.

:mad:

P.S. If anyone on here can't judge People from their decency and actions rather than prejudging them from their former address then they themselves are they Scumbags............

Raiser wrote: »

- Fact is that if these Folks moved from Southhill to Raheen/Dooradoyle they now have poorer infrastructure, less green areas and no fcuking Park.....

The utterly stupid Members of Limericks Planning Office should be put on an open top Bus, driven around Limerick City and Suburbs and it should be slowly and patiently explained to them how massively ignorant they are in terms of the basics of planning.....

......Every time they pass 500 houses built on a space for 200 houses with no infrastructural or recreational allowances of any kind they should be taken off the Bus an made kneel in front of it for 30 minutes to have some time to think about how vapid, dull and ineffectual they are as untalented, foolish, Amateurs.

The Planning Office is responsible for so many future of Limerick future disadvantaged Estates - an that includes EVERY suburb out there.

P.S. If anyone on here can't judge People from their decency and actions rather than prejudging them from their former address then they themselves are they Scumbags............

I said nothing about poshness or where people are from?Southill gets bad press but our neighbours bought a house in raheen their not rehoused scum or heathboard jobs.My point is they are decent and moved cause they had enough of their previous house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I don't think anyone is out to judge someone from their address either current or former.
    It is the actions of some people and the way they abuse the new area that they have been relocated to that irks people.

I said nothing about poshness or where people are from?Southill gets bad press but our neighbours bought a house in raheen their not rehoused scum or heathboard jobs.My point is they are decent and moved cause they had enough of their previous house

Sorry Vampy - I wasn't very clear - I never meant you and had noted that you had been totally positive in this regard earlier!!!

- Will edit my post so its not so misleading!

Here is how I came to my judgement regarding the people relocated to my area.

I was driving down the main street of the town when I came across a group of men and women fighting in the street, armed with bottles. Not recognising them as local scumbags, I asked my mate who these new scumbags were, he said they were a crowd of people who had been rehoused from the city due to the regeneration. So I had had formed my opinion that they were scumbags by their actions, not by finding out their former address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

EDIT: Vampy is clearly a fair-minded and non-judgemental Neighbour !!!!!!!!!

Raiser, you're angry again. The planning office with responsibility for the suburbs is that of the County Council (mainly). No point in driving them around the city, we couldn't care less what they've done/not done.

Your last point is typical of your sanctimonious bile. In a recent thread you referred to parents and pupils of a certain suburban school in an unflattering manner because of the vehicles they drove their children to school in. You really should practice what you preach.

Raiser, you're angry again. The planning office with responsibility for the suburbs is that of the County Council (mainly). No point in driving them around the city, we couldn't care less what they've done/not done.

Your last point is typical of your sanctimonious bile. In a recent thread you referred to parents and pupils of a certain suburban school in an unflattering manner because of the vehicles they drove their children to school in. You really should practice what you preach.

I'd rather be "angry" and make sense than to carry petty, childish personal grudges and talk nonsense ;)

Where did I make any distinction between the Planning Offices??????

"We couldn't care less what they've done/not done" ?????? Who is "We" ?????
    - I'm delighted for all of you that you are satisfied with the current sad state of affairs!!!

You were reported for your contribution to that thread - I'd leave it be if I was you.

For you to suddenly pop up on here all excited armed with some non-agenda and no point is ridiculous in the extreme - Why don't you go fly a kite or talk a Country walk or something?

Itsdacraic
    I didn't mean anyone personally re. that point - or even this thread - I've just seen some of the "Us Vs. Them" sentiment and on here in the past and think everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Bad planning is a problem all over Ireland, not just Limerick. The main problem in Limerick is that there is no sanction for anti-social behaviour. People who do not respect their neighbours or are involved in crime should not received subsidised housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It's issues like this and more that in recently years has seen me move politically to the right, more and more.

The left-wing liberals live in some parallel utopian universe that's totally at odds with Ireland's reality. This re-generation thing is a load of idealistic, naive rubbish.

It strikes me that the 'middle class' of Ireland, particularly the rural middle class have been persecuted again and again, and it's getting worse. It's about time that we drill march again with pride, just like so many did before in rural Ireland.

We need a leader that can empower us, some-one like Daniel O'Connell, Michael Collins, maybe even the far right of the National Guard like Eoin O'Duffy and Charleville's Ed "The Lion Tamer" Cronin.

Okay, rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Flaccus wrote: »
    To be honest those people from Raheen have got their terminology wrong. The trouble makers that were moved in, are not moved under the hospices of regeneration. This is part of the social rehousing scheme which has been in effect for many years. Regneration has done very little for Limerick, other than pay for the huge lunch expenses, company cars, and salaries of the people running the rengernation offices out of watchhouse cross in Moyross, and of course raise the profile of these anti-social incidents. And now they are out of money. I remember hearing mouth piece O'Dea on 95FM a couple of years ago saying that city hall have never received any complaints from residents in areas where people had been rehoused.

I wish people would realise that it isn't the council/regeneration that is moving people from Moyross/Southill/Weston. Anyone is free to RENT anywhere in Ireland and the HSE will pay towards that rent if that rent is deemed reasonable for your needs and circumstances. If people want "them" out of "their" area then "you" will will need to talk to the PRIVATE landlords that have rented their houses to "them". Basically its "your" own neighbours fault for renting to "them" in the first place. I know someone working in the Council housing office and they've said the council don't own very many houses in Dooradoyle/Raheen but they administer a scheme called RAS for landlords. http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/SocialHousingSupport/RentalAccomodationScheme/

mike kelly wrote: »
    Bad planning is a problem all over Ireland, not just Limerick. The main problem in Limerick is that there is no sanction for anti-social behaviour. People who do not respect their neighbours or are involved in crime should not received subsidised housing.

Its not only the renters who don't respect their neighbours - but the landlords who rented to them that do their neighbours the greatest disrepect. The key to stopping an antisocial element moving onto an area is private landlords not to rent to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I'd like to see the groody River in Castletroy turned into a nature reserve and public park. The rest of the brounfield site turned into a self contained village style town with some high density compenants. The idea of bringing nature here would be a great place to bring many disadvantaged and crime stricken people back into alignment of some aspect of self responsibility and sense of self again. The crime and depression in the areas where people lived is responsible for why many turned to crime in the first place.

I think it's not just a matter of putting these people into a posh area, its about actually dealing with the root problem that makes people turn too opression and crime itself.

What are your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I wish people would realise that it isn't the council/regeneration that is moving people from Moyross/Southill/Weston. Anyone is free to RENT anywhere in Ireland and the HSE will pay towards that rent if that rent is deemed reasonable for your needs and circumstances. If people want "them" out of "their" area then "you" will will need to talk to the PRIVATE landlords that have rented their houses to "them". Basically its "your" own neighbours fault for renting to "them" in the first place. I know someone working in the Council housing office and they've said the council don't own very many houses in Dooradoyle/Raheen but they administer a scheme called RAS for landlords. http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/SocialHousingSupport/RentalAccomodationScheme/

Doesn't change the fact there is fu**kin scumbags moving into these areas, whether they bought from the council under a scheme, renting under social rehousing, or bought privately. I don't care where they come from. Obvioulsy like in most situations the vast majority of people are fine. It's the minority who intimidate and feel they have a sense of entitlement. lI know of 2 families evicted in Westbury over continued anti-social behaviour. They were both renting. 1 I know was renting from a landlord under RAS. They were dealing drugs. Another was renting through council scheme and this was 3rd time they were moved due to causing trouble in each area. In each case the residents filed a petition, went to the authorities, landlord etc.. I know moving people on doesn't solve the problem, and never has, but people are just sick of anti-social behaviour and scum.

I may me wrong, but since this Limerick regeneration scheme has seen people from the city moved to my local area in West Limerick, I can count up to 20 houses which have been robbed in the last 9 months as well as countless other which have had attempted robberies. Myself included.

Twice my family home has been robbed, once in April and 3 weeks ago. They were never caught for the one in April but the one 3 weeks ago was due to the sheer vigalance and paranoia from all the locals. Every car that stops outside the house and neighbours houses has the make, model and plates taken down. Any small talk with neighbours involves, whos been robbed and any suspicious cars/vans which have been doing the rounds. This mindset has its advantages as some of the thugs have been caught but people shouldn't have to live like that.

The Gardai have been excellent both times I have been robbed but they simply do not have the resources to stop all these burgalaries. I know that I am selfish when I say this, but what was Limerick city's problem for years has been spread around the county and as far as north Cork and Tip. Wouldnt it have been better to contain it in the city?

I may me wrong, but since this Limerick regeneration scheme has seen people from the city moved to my local area in West Limerick, I can count up to 20 houses which have been robbed in the last 9 months as well as countless other which have had attempted robberies. Myself included.

Twice my family home has been robbed, once in April and 3 weeks ago. They were never caught for the one in April but the one 3 weeks ago was due to the sheer vigalance and paranoia from all the locals. Every car that stops outside the house and neighbours houses has the make, model and plates taken down. Any small talk with neighbours involves, whos been robbed and any suspicious cars/vans which have been doing the rounds. This mindset has its advantages as some of the thugs have been caught but people shouldn't have to live like that.

The Gardai have been excellent both times I have been robbed but they simply do not have the resources to stop all these burgalaries. I know that I am selfish when I say this, but what was Limerick city's problem for years has been spread around the county and as far as north Cork and Tip. Wouldnt it have been better to contain it in the city?

They should have both barrels emptied into their dull, inbred little Knackers faces.

They should have both barrels emptied into their dull, inbred little Knackers faces.

A bit of an agressive solution but a solution nonetheless!

Flaccus wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact there is fu**kin scumbags moving into these areas, whether they bought from the council under a scheme, renting under social rehousing, or bought privately. I don't care where they come from. Obvioulsy like in most situations the vast majority of people are fine. It's the minority who intimidate and feel they have a sense of entitlement. lI know of 2 families evicted in Westbury over continued anti-social behaviour. They were both renting. 1 I know was renting from a landlord under RAS. They were dealing drugs. Another was renting through council scheme and this was 3rd time they were moved due to causing trouble in each area. In each case the residents filed a petition, went to the authorities, landlord etc.. I know moving people on doesn't solve the problem, and never has, but people are just sick of anti-social behaviour and scum.

Then your neghbours shouldn't sell/rent their houses to the council should they??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Then your neghbours shouldn't sell/rent their houses to the council should they??

You do realise a certain proportion of housing estates MUST be for "social housing". Also not that half of the country's pathetically planned developments are now empty the councils will have no hesitation moving these scum into once quiet towns.

• Advertisement

I know of an Indian Family who happily rented what was their original Family 3 bed Semi-Detached to two successive Traveller Families after they themselves had moved up in the World.

Now I'm not that judgemental but it can be depressing to see their Toddlers out in traffic in a vest and a 2 day old nappy and thats just a flavour of Neo Halting site life in Suburbia....

Tenants in the adjoining house had to leave a week or two later and the House is vacant since.

- Landlords couldn't give a fcuk about anything but their own incoming ca$h.

Advertisement