Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work/Studies/Science

Options
  • 20-01-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on above courses. I am a mature student (31) and want to go back to college to study Social work but I am not sure on what the best course is in what college. I would consider studying either full time or part time whichever is best.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi,

Im applying to social care courses in 3 different colleges as a mature student so iv done a good bit of research on it and have got quite a bit of info but first im just wondering if you planning on applying this year? If you are you dont have much time left as the closing date for applications by mature students is the 1st of Feb..so only 11 days time!!
    Also where are you living? are you willing to travel to go to college or even move? Im asking this because there are alot of courses all over the country in social care, but personally im living in Dublin and am not willing to move so im only applying to courses in Dublin.

The ones im applying to are ;

Trinity college Dublin........ www.tcd.ie
    D.I.T Mountjoy Square (Dublin)..... www.dit.ie
    Institute of Technology Tallaght.......... www.itt.ie

The 3 courses im applying to in the above colleges are all full time, 4 years duration.

The other colleges that offer Social care/Social work are;

Institute of Technology Blanchardstown... www.itb.ie
    Institute of Technology Athlone........... www.ait.ie
    Institute of Technology Dundalk...... www.dkit.ie
    University College Cork ...... www.ucc.ie
    Dublin City University...... www.dcu.ie

There may be more but they are the only ones i remember out of all the ones i researched.
    If you go on the college websites which are listed beside them above and go to the facultie of Arts/Humanities and Social Sciences there will be listings of all the social care and social work courses. Also each college website will have a mature student section which you should also check out for the colleges mature student guidelines and information.

If its not a full degree you want, then there are lots of FETAC courses in social care also, to find out about these you could check this website ; www.qualifax.ie , they have information on all courses in all subjects and colleges in the country...So be prepared to do a good bit of reading, and to get the pen and paper out!! The FETAC and other types of courses will usually have deadlines for applications much later in the year, but again you would have to check that out yourself.

I hope that was of some help to you and if there is anything else you think i might be able to help you with, please ask!

Best of luck,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gid1

I am sooo sorry for not thanking you for this info sooner.....it is great information and very VERY much appreciated!!
    many thanks
    gid1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LRK

I got offered a place in social care in athlone level 7 today has anyone got any information on the course for me like is it 9-5 monday to friday and career options. Not sure if il accept or not have heart set on nursing but have not been offered a place.
    Thanks.

Advertisement