Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup prefers to Poop in the house

Options
  • 20-01-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

We have two pups, 6 and 7 months old, both are house trained and will look to go outside if they need to go to the toilet, they sleep in our utility but the last few nights the bitch has started to poop in the there at night, they do be outside most of the day and go outside before going to bed and there were no problems until this week. I have been going into the utility the last few mornings and there in the middle of the floor is a nice big present for me. One of the mornings there was no poop so I opened the back door to let them out but the bitch stayed where she was and followed me into the kitchen, I carried about my business and then noticed the smell she had pooped right in front of me. Yesterday moring more poop, this morning there was none but she didn't rush out with the other dog, so this time i left her in the utility with the back door open she eventually went out, and poop outside. I might be mad but I am thinking she was holding on to drop it in the kitchen.
    Has anyone else come across this behavior, like I said everything was fine up till the last few days.
    Couple of things, she has been out of her regular food for a few days while I have been waiting on it to be delivered but she eats a mixture of two dry foods so she has the other one and there is no runny poops either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The change in food can effect any dog or pup would guess it is the food change, also avoid feeding after 6pm (unless they are very small breeds and need regular meals). You also need to take the pups outside not just hope they will do it and come back in, eventhough they seem to be nearly house trained they will slip now and then. So you must go outside with the pups, close the door behind you so they won't go back inside and wait and watch them at that age they should probably do a poo and a couple of wees between them before you bring them back in.

Praise them for peeing/pooing outside and ignore any mistakes you make indoors. I say you because it's not the dogs fault it's the owners for not doing something right...not giving out I've done it myself esp. if you need to get on with something else and the pup comes back in our lad hasn't had an accident in the house in ages until last week when I got lazy and didn't make sure and he left a poop in the bathroom (at least he uses the bathroom lol).

Wasn't his fault as he's (like yours) pretty much house trained and will tell me when he wants to go out but I wasn't paying attention.

It's only poo so a quick clean up and don't say anything to the dog and when she does go out and poo/pee give her some praise straight afterwards.

Advertisement