Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metal Scene?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Is there much of one? I'm going to be going to school in Dublin from the US and want to know if there is much of a scene, if there are any Dublin metal bands, and any metal stores in Dublin.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sound Cellar on Nassau Street (just next to the SubWay) is a great basement store for all kinds of everything metal. Owner is dead on too. If he doesn't have what you're looking for, he'll order it in no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

DazMarz wrote: »
    Sound Cellar on Nassau Street (just next to the SubWay) is a great basement store for all kinds of everything metal. Owner is dead on too. If he doesn't have what you're looking for, he'll order it in no problem.

Tommy Tighe is one of the most down to earth people you'll meet...........ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Sentinel Records in Temple Bar are great too.

Have a look at the gig section here for shows http://www.metalireland.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sentinel Records in Temple Bar are great too.

Have a look at the gig section here for shows http://www.metalireland.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Forgot about them! Yes!

Also, there is another record/music shop in Temple Bar... Can't think of the name, but it's right next to the palm tree seat and it's logo is a gun...

ps: just thought of it. 'Borderline Records'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dragons Revenge

DazMarz wrote: »
    Forgot about them! Yes!

Also, there is another record/music shop in Temple Bar... Can't think of the name, but it's right next to the palm tree seat and it's logo is a gun...

ps: just thought of it. 'Borderline Records'

Oh, there's one right in Temple Bar? Now I have even more of a reason to go there. I'll check the other one out too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Tower Records, just off Grafton Street, down a road opposite a McDonalds has a good selection of Metal cds too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thunderdrummer

Fibber Macgee's on Parannel street is the place for metal gigs in dublin. There is live music on saturdays. There are a good few metal bands around such as Edenfire , Dead Label , Visitor Q , Mcgalligog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Fibber Macgee's on Parannel street is the place for metal gigs in dublin. There is live music on saturdays. There are a good few metal bands around such as Edenfire , Dead Label , Visitor Q , Mcgalligog
    watch out for the spooky kids though! And bring your own supply of fresh air - the place reeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

There are a good few metal bands around such as Edenfire

*cough* shameless self-promotion *cough* :p

Anyway, if you can't stick the smell in Fibbers on Parnell St (and many of us with delicate noses can't :D) they've opened up another Fibbers bar on Ormond Quay and from what people are saying it's a good bit nicer than the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

In terms of bands, what genres are you looking for?

• Advertisement

In terms of bands, what genres are you looking for?

Me? Well, I'm big into Power and straight up Heavy metal - That is, the Grave Digger/Rage/Primal Fear/Wolf side of Power metal rather than like, Sonata Arctica, et al. I also like Prog rock/metal (Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Vanden Plas, Vanishing Point). Old-style Death Metal - More Death/Obiturary, less Nile, Behemoth and other Techincial, Blast-Beat heavy DM bands, and Thrash.

Does that make sense?

Edenfire sounds freaking amazing. I didnt check the others yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Check out www.metalireland.com Pretty much like boards, cept purely devoted to metal.....in Ireland. (Check out general chat and gigs on the left).

chin_grin wrote: »
    Check out www.metalireland.com Pretty much like boards, cept purely devoted to metal.....in Ireland. (Check out general chat and gigs on the left).

Thanks, but I think it was already linked to in this thread. ;) No matter, I'm checking it out now.

Oooh! Blaze Bayley's gonna be in Dublin in March! Kick ass. Last I knew he was only coming as far as Belfast. Nice! :)

Thanks, but I think it was already linked to in this thread. ;) No matter, I'm checking it out now.

Ah, facepalm! Sorry about that. I'm sure this has been mentioned too, but there are only three "metal" pubs/clubs (that I know of).

Fibber Magees (another new one has opened up along the quays)
    Bruxelles (downstairs and to the left as there are three bars. Rock/metal,Indie and Pop)

Both have a decent jukebox. I'd say Brux has a better DJ! But that's just me. :pac:

Nice! Feb. 3rd can't get here fast enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Allure_

Visitor Q are pretty good.

Fibber Magees (another new one has opened up along the quays)
    woah woah woah.. what? when did this happen?

And... has anyone been yet?

Max Power1 wrote: »
    woah woah woah.. what? when did this happen?

And... has anyone been yet?

MMyep, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055806488

some of us (me, clearly) are obviously blind it seems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Max Power1 wrote: »
    some of us (me, clearly) are obviously blind it seems

never knew u were into stevie wonder..

anyway theres now a wiki of irish metal bands...

http://www.metalireland.com/miwiki/index.php?title=Category:Bands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

two other dublin bands

more of a hardcore-ish metal sound. very very good
    http://www.myspace.com/redenemymetal

a unique kind of tech metal sound. very similar to Sikth (one of the singers actually does guest vocals on one of the tracks)
    http://www.myspace.com/heroinerrordublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Nice! Feb. 3rd can't get here fast enough!

Also check out

scene is pretty good these days I think.....certainly loads of bands on the go, ranging from those starting out to top of the tree here like Priomordial

Advertisement