Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marinade for Pork Chops

Options
  • 20-01-2010 4:45pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm cooking dinner for a few friends this weekend.. we have a load of pork chops in the freezer so I'm thinking this will be a good opportunity to use them up.

Just looking for a nice marinade for them, I don't mind making it myself if anyone wants to donate a recipe :) but is there one I can just buy in the supermarket?

Any other tips greatly welcomed

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Not a marinade but I have done this a few times and it is lovely

ERVES 4 [URL="javascript:void(0);"](change servings and units)[/URL] Change to: Servings US Metric [URL="javascript:void(0);"]closex.gif[/URL]
    • [URL="javascript:void(0)"]1[/URL]
    • [URL="javascript:void(0)"]2[/URL]
    • [URL="javascript:void(0)"]3[/URL]
    • [URL="javascript:void(0)"]4[/URL]
    • [URL="javascript:void(0)"]5[/URL]
    [URL="javascript:void(0)"]clear stars[/URL]
    Write a Review! (optional)

Submit Cancel

Ingredients

Directions

1. 1

Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
    2. 2

Line a large baking tin with alumnium foil leaving a very generous overlap over all sides (you'll probably need four sheets - two across and two lengthwise).
    3. 3

In a large frying pan, melt the butter and fry the pork chops on both sides until golden brown.
    4. 4

Transfer cooked chops to the foil lined baking tin.
    5. 5

Sprinkle chops evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper and thyme.
    6. 6

Add mushrooms to the frying pan, along with a little more butter if necessary, and cook, stirring, until the juices from the mushrooms begin to run.
    7. 7

Add the lemon juice (it seems like a lot of juice, but it won't be too lemony, trust me) and allow it to boil for 1 minute.
    8. 8

Now, sprinkle on the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to combine (it looks like a dog's breakfast now, but don't worry!).
    9. 9

Spoon this mushroom mixture evenly over the pork chops.
    10. 10

Sprinkle LIGHTLY with a little more salt and pepper.
    11. 11

Spoon big dobs of creme fraiche evenly over the top of the mushroom mixture.
    12. 12

Wrap the whole lot loosely in the foil, sealing securely, but making sure you leave some space between the top of the chops and the foil.
    13. 13

Bake on the centre shelf of the preheated 180c (350F) oven for 1 hour.
    14. 14

Remove from oven, unwrap and serve, spooning any extra juices over the chops - you'll find you have more of a 'topping' than a 'sauce'.
    15. 15

Serve with simple side dishes as this is a rich meal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Wow thanks a mil for that Miaireland :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I marinade my chops in

Soy sauce
    A little olive or sunflower oil
    Wholegrain mustard
    Crushed garlic
    Honey
    You can add chilli if you want it spicy.

Put all the chops and the marinade in a roasting tin lined with baking parchment and roast for 25-30 minutes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

How much of each would you use Dizzyblonde? I'll probably be doing around 8 or 9 chops but they're quite small.. cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

xzanti wrote: »
    How much of each would you use Dizzyblonde? I'll probably be doing around 8 or 9 chops but they're quite small.. cheers

I'd say for that amount of chops:

3 tablespoons of soy sauce
    1 tablespoon of oil
    A tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
    3 fat cloves of garlic, crushed
    2-3 tablespoons of honey, enough to make it slightly thick
    A sliced red chilli
    Sometimes I throw in a thinly sliced onion too

It's a delicious marinade, but don't forget to line the tin with parchment or it'll be hard to wash because of the stickiness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pretty much the same as DB, can't go wrong with her version. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

For a Spanish themed night, I'd bash a couple of tablespoons of fennel seeds in a pestle & mortar and add a couple of cloves of garlic. Rub the garlic & fennel seed mixture into the pork chops with a little olive oil about an hour before grilling them. Season them with pepper and sea salt just before cooking them. Patatas bravas with the red sauce flavoured with smoked paprika and a couple of salads would complete the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

My storecupboard marinade - I use this when I havn't bothered shopping (I always have chops in the freezer) as I keep all this in the cupboard.

Green pesto
    Lemon Juice
    Olive Oil
    Garlic
    Salt and Pepper

Whack everything together for a few hours (don't forget to prick the chops to allow the flavour to go through). I don't have quantities - just add enough to coat the chops.

Heat the oven to about 180 celcius

Put the chops in for about 15 mins

Serve with mashed potatoes

Advertisement