Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a Wireless N Modem Router

• 20-01-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi folks,

So I currently have an old ZyXel Modem/Router and I want to upgrade to get better speeds and wireless coverage around the house.

I'm willing to pay a few bob, but I just cannot figure out the best option.

Considerations:
    - ISP = Irish Broadband
    - Want Wireless N (latest and greatest as I understand it)
    - Want at least 4 wired ethernet ports on the device
    - Want good signal about the house
    - Want good transfer rates
    - I'm on 'Cable' NOT 'BT Connection'
    - I tried Netgear device but didn't connect with ISP
    - I need to forward ports (have a Win Home Server I want to connect to from out side Home LAN)

Can anyone advise a good quality device that's reasonably easy to set up?
    D-Link?
    LinkSys?
    Belkin?
    Other?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭kdizl/doylah

Hodge wrote: »
    Hi folks,

So I currently have an old ZyXel Modem/Router and I want to upgrade to get better speeds and wireless coverage around the house.

I'm willing to pay a few bob, but I just cannot figure out the best option.

Considerations:
    - ISP = Irish Broadband
    - Want Wireless N (latest and greatest as I understand it)
    - Want at least 4 wired ethernet ports on the device
    - Want good signal about the house
    - Want good transfer rates
    - I'm on 'Cable' NOT 'BT Connection'
    - I tried Netgear device but didn't connect with ISP
    - I need to forward ports (have a Win Home Server I want to connect to from out side Home LAN)

Can anyone advise a good quality device that's reasonably easy to set up?
    D-Link?
    LinkSys?
    Belkin?
    Other?

I have a linksys/cisco wag160n (draft n)..
    its gotten mixed reviews,
    I may sell it.

Just make sure you have an n adapter in your computer first hand..
    as you need an N signal on both ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Should go without saying, but check it's got Gigabit Ethernet and not just 100Mbps Ethernet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i have this one myself, never had any problems, works great besides just looking great. also check before you buy that it's the cable version because i have the adsl version myself but i've seen that there is a cable version availlable!

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=212&Itemid=1

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341158

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hodge

Hey folks thanks for the info...!

xsiborg, what's the difference between 'Cable' and 'ADSL'...?

I thought from my browsing PC world that the two types were 'Cable' and 'BT Connection' (both being ADSL)...? and that I needed 'Cable'

...by the way that Belkin http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341158 one looks the one for me!... just want to make sure I'm getting the correct one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Just the different way BB is supplied, line etc.. Will also have different modem termination..

ADSL - Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line.. Phone line head..

Cable - Coax head..

• Advertisement

xsiborg... just noted that the Belkin seems to be Router only... me looking for Modem/Router... is there Modem included in it...?

If not, what would u recommend...?

Cheers neilthefunkeone...!

ADSL is what I want... oddly the PC World crew refer to those as 'Cable'... as opposed to 'BT Connection'... odd...

Hi Hodge,

Thats a modem/router, but be careful, even call Irish Broadband to be sure that what you have is a phone line connection and not a cable connection.

The device has "BT Connection" on the box because that's the UK equivalent of our phone line, but in the box there is a British Telecom adapter (I hope we're not confusing BT with bluetooth here).

Hi again xsiborg...

sorry to hound ya, but are u suuure the Belkin device is an ADSL modem / router...?

It's just that i've trawled through all the online specs and there's no mention of the ADSL modem capability being built in...?

by the way, I do indeed have a phone line in (ADSL broadband)... telephone cable plugged into current ADSL ZyXel modem/router.

Thanks again for all the info by the way... !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Never touch belkin rubbish :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

what is the difference between say a normal eircom modem/router and one of these €70-€130 modem/routers? surely if your broadband speed is 3 or 7 mbps then a normal 54mbps router should be more than fast enough even when using a few laptops and pc and printer?

edit: just figured it out myself that the speed between router and pc/laptop will be much faster with the faster router

No problem Hodge, it's actually an ADSL+2 router, all info and specs here:

http://www.belkin.com/appimages/PB070907_F5D8232-4_PB.pdf

I'll be happy to answer any questions Hodge, at the moment I'm using the router with Smart Telecoms service, surprisingly easy to set up aswel! :)

oh and it has a nice feature called "guest access" which is handy for myself as i'm often fixing laptops but don't need them on my network but I can still set up internet access for them on the "guest network" :)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    what is the difference between say a normal eircom modem/router and one of these €70-€130 modem/routers? surely if your broadband speed is 3 or 7 mbps then a normal 54mbps router should be more than fast enough even when using a few laptops and pc and printer?

edit: just figured it out myself that the speed between router and pc/laptop will be much faster with the faster router

I just caught your edit there foggy, spot on for answering your own question but you did raise another good point! 54mbps routers are wireless b/g, the N1 vision is wireless n standard- up to 300mbps transfer rate, if your laptop or desktop pc has a wireless n adapter you can take advantage of the extra speed... :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Never touch belkin rubbish :(

there are just as many Sponge Bob that will tell you the same about any router manufacturer, any device you care to mention even, that's very much a subjective point of view. There are people that will tell you that D-link/Linksys/Netgear woes are just as plentiful...

The selling point of this router for me was the "guest access" idea, at the push of a button I can turn it on or off, and also the wireless N and gigabit port capability. It replaced a 54mbps belkin router that I had purchased four years earlier that was still working perfectly!

OK, I'll have to come clean and admit that I was also sold on the "screen" idea where I could see what was going on with my network at a glance and not have to go into the router homepage (yes, pedandic i know when it only takes two seconds in a browser).

Also it fits in quite stylishly with my gloss black HP laptop and gloss black LG tv... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

xsiborg wrote: »
    Also it fits in quite stylishly with my gloss black HP laptop and gloss black LG tv... :rolleyes:

Ah right, if it has to be glossy black it has to be glossy black, sure I know :p

i've circled the router so you can get some idea of what i'm talking about... ;)

Advertisement