Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long google takes to index your site?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Folks,
    Based on your personal experience, how long a site takes to get indexed in google?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

Took them about a month to index mine fully.
    Submit a sitemap to google webmaster, I think it speeds up the process.

This is what I use to gen a sitemap
    http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

Still waiting for Bing and Yahoo to index, seem to be much slower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

jonathan11 wrote: »

Sitemaps are a good idea but will not increase SEO/ranking/indexing.

Crawling and indexing (two separate operations) are influenced by Authority/PageRank. you might submit 100 URL's, Google may crawl 80 and it may index 0-80.

We are often involved in launching new domains. Fastest mention of a URL is approx. seconds, fastest crawl is about 12 hours but fastest visibility of domain in a SERP result is probably about 4 days.

You would do more by getting say 5 links than submitting a Sitemap on its own (depending on how often they get indexed + authority)

Yahoo - you can add your domain via Yahoo - you just need a Yahoo account.

Bing has a webmaster tool - but again all 3 will find sites from links.

Yahoo, in my experience is fastest to show and rank (within 2 days) from just links - no sitemap submit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

I think sitemap.xml is important for Google. If you want something indexed, do create a sitemap.xml file, if you want something excluded, create robots.txt. Also, some suggest that using Urchin tracker helps in getting Google to know your site better. Again, all this is just suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

jonathan11 wrote: »

link8r wrote: »
    Sitemaps are a good idea but will not increase SEO/ranking/indexing.

Crawling and indexing (two separate operations) are influenced by Authority/PageRank. you might submit 100 URL's, Google may crawl 80 and it may index 0-80.

We are often involved in launching new domains. Fastest mention of a URL is approx. seconds, fastest crawl is about 12 hours but fastest visibility of domain in a SERP result is probably about 4 days.

You would do more by getting say 5 links than submitting a Sitemap on its own (depending on how often they get indexed + authority)

Yahoo - you can add your domain via Yahoo - you just need a Yahoo account.

Bing has a webmaster tool - but again all 3 will find sites from links.

Yahoo, in my experience is fastest to show and rank (within 2 days) from just links - no sitemap submit etc.
    none wrote: »
    I think sitemap.xml is important for Google. If you want something indexed, do create a sitemap.xml file, if you want something excluded, create robots.txt. Also, some suggest that using Urchin tracker helps in getting Google to know your site better. Again, all this is just suggestions.
    Need to learn true meaning of word "Patience" when waiting on google to crawl your site. Google is crawling my site all right, but 2 pages a day average, well at least it does!!
    Yahoo and bing, no idea, when they will do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Well I've had individual pages indexed within eight hours: I know, because people found 'em via search in this sort of timeframe. Or at least Google Analytics claims that this is how the visitor got to my site.

But I think it helps that I'm using Blogger to write about Google products, like blogger ;)

If you have AdSense on a page, they say they will put content-relevant ads onto the page with 48 hours, and from what I can see of my sites, this seems to be happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I have pages on one site that will turn up in the index within a few minutes (that took about a year to achieve). but when the site is first revealed - it can be very hit and miss.

We have another site of 10,000 plus pages that started well and has now slowed down massively. I do think that starting out that the sitemap is a gift. Face it - it's one of the google 'guidelines'.

You most likely have any 'authority' at that starting point so the sitemap is well worth it.

Plus - it does all depend on your site - flash, worthwhile content yada yada.

Hi,

XML sitemap is one of the best ways to tell search engines to index your pages. However, that doesn't mean your site is going to get indexed soon. It may take time even though you have a xml sitemap.

You also need to check out various factors on your website which may prevent to get indexed your website in search engines.

Sitemaps don't affect Index rate - Google has videos about this that is crystal clear. Its just a useful way to share information about URL's - rather than publish BotMaps.

blue4ever wrote: »
    I have pages on one site that will turn up in the index within a few minutes (that took about a year to achieve). but when the site is first revealed - it can be very hit and miss.

We have another site of 10,000 plus pages that started well and has now slowed down massively. I do think that starting out that the sitemap is a gift. Face it - it's one of the google 'guidelines'.

You most likely have any 'authority' at that starting point so the sitemap is well worth it.

Plus - it does all depend on your site - flash, worthwhile content yada yada.

Site, not pages - indexing for a site -v- pages on an existing domain are too different issues.

As your pages get deeper, the less authority they have, the less likely they are to be indexed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

true, aplos - speed read that first one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ter1

Im actaully quite amazed last time I set a new site up it was indexed in about 5-7 days, very quick !
    Terry

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

Hy guys.Send your articles to social bookmarking sites especially Twitter and you will get your site indexed in fiew hours even minutes.

Advertisement