Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guitar PolyTune for all 6 strings.

• 20-01-2010 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

A new tuner from TC Electronic that tunes all 6 strings in one go. Just strum all strings once. Could be usefull for floating trems too. True bypass too for the purists. Talk of it being the same price as the Boss etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

That. Is. AWESOME! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

kranog wrote: »
    That. Is. AWESOME! :)

Made in Denmark..........probably by Carlsberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Yeah that could be really handy and save a lot of time....probably the best guitar tuner on the market (in the world)!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

We've got to stock that!

Strings.ie wrote: »
    We've got to stock that!

Get us a quote asap please. March is the purchase date i think.
    Would you do a trade in on a Boss TU-2????

• Advertisement

Some first impressions of the TC polytuner. Steve Morse, Rammstein, John Scofield. It also has usb connection for software updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Get us a quote asap please. March is the purchase date i think.
    Would you do a trade in on a Boss TU-2????

It will probably take us some time to get it as we've not dealt with T C before and we'd need to investigate who their distributor is and get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

Thats a really good pedal, if they are cheap enough I might look into getting one. I'd love to know what the system they have for doing it polyphonically is. I have a few rough ideas on how they do it but to get it exact enough for precise tuning of each string is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Really cool, but is it stuck to EADGBE, or can it do alternate tunings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

I'm probably missing something blatantly obvious here but....... whats the big deal? I don't really get what's so great about this product.
    So you can strum a chord at it will tell you which string is out. Eh..... that's what your ears are for. Once it tells you what string is out you tune it like you would with a normal tuner. It's not really a labor saving device, just a tool for the tone deaf. I can see its appeal to beginners but I think the only thing that's getting the accomplished guitar players in the above video excited is the novelty of it. I don't think many people will be selling their TU-2's to buy it.

• Advertisement

ball ox wrote: »
    I'm probably missing something blatantly obvious here but....... whats the big deal? I don't really get what's so great about this product.
    So you can strum a chord at it will tell you which string is out. Eh..... that's what your ears are for. Once it tells you what string is out you tune it like you would with a normal tuner. It's not really a labor saving device, just a tool for the tone deaf. I can see its appeal to beginners but I think the only thing that's getting the accomplished guitar players in the above video excited is the novelty of it. I don't think many people will be selling their TU-2's to buy it.

Er....ears can't do everything. Not just a case of tuning up, you also need to be in tune with that guy who plays the 4 string thang. Great for live use. Saves a bit of time staring down at the Boss TU-2, which is slow and unresponsive. Instead of having to go through all 6 strings individually with the slow TU-2, you can tell straight away which string is out.

The Boss TU-2 might have sold squillions, but it's a bit slow and tedious too. The PolyTuner also is true bypass, which will appeal to alot of people. My TU-2 is going to make room for one. They retail at roughly the same price.

Er....ears can't do everything.

I'm not saying they can. Put it like this -
    Imagine you're tuning up with a regular tuner (Be it the TU-2 or whatever you use). You need to tune each string one at a time unless you have more than 2 hands. After you tune each string you strum a chord. Do you really need a machine to tell you whether that chord is in tune or not? That's all I'm saying. If you do fair enough but You still need to tune the strings one by one. The only difference is the display you are looking at. It will take you the same amount of time to tune up.
    It just seems unnecessary and I'd be surprised if it takes off in a big way unless it's very cheap because I cant imagine why professional musicians would be rushing to buy them.

You just lighty strum all 6 strings. The screen shows you which of the strings is out and if they are sharp or flat. Next step is turn the coresponding tuner that is out of tune either sharp or flat. All done in go. No tuning individual strings like with other tuners.

Fair enough, I get that it will tell you which strings are out of tune.
    It just seems, to me, like an answer to a question nobody asked.

ball ox wrote: »
    Fair enough, I get that it will tell you which strings are out of tune.
    It just seems, to me, like an answer to a question nobody asked.

Maybe not, but nobody really knew if it was possible.
    Interesting to see what the other brands do next. Boss have just brought out the TU-3. I think other brands will jump on the idea and bring out their own versions.

I think it's more aimed for playing live. If you only have a short period of a song where you're not playing that you can tune in, and it turns out that you only need to tune up one string, you can get it done in a sixth of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

I'm also from the use-your-ear camp. I can see how it would be useful in a live setting, and where you wouldn't want others to hear you tuning.

I also appreciate a nice piece of engineering. It's probably the most advanced tuner pedal.

That said, I prefer to use my ears when possible.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I think it's more aimed for playing live. If you only have a short period of a song where you're not playing that you can tune in, and it turns out that you only need to tune up one string, you can get it done in a sixth of the time.

Probably, but that Boss TU-2 is fricken annoying. Way to slow to respond at times. I've been looking for something new for a while.

As for the ear thing, good to have the ability, but the tuner is 100% accurate.
    When live or in studio, you would go with the tuner everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Organeer

I think you will find that the most accurate pedal is made by Peterson. Their tuners are reputedly used by some manufacturers for calibration purposes. They are best known for their Stroboscopic tuners which are indeed the most accurate available.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Organeer

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they are not a cheap item.

• Advertisement

Organeer wrote: »
    I think you will find that the most accurate pedal is made by Peterson. Their tuners are reputedly used by some manufacturers for calibration purposes. They are best known for their Stroboscopic tuners which are indeed the most accurate available.

Does the Peterson show all 6 strings or do you tune one at a time? I never seen a Peterson before.
    The Poly should be well under a ton to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Does the Peterson show all 6 strings or do you tune one at a time? I never seen a Peterson before.
    The Poly should be well under a ton to buy.

The Peterson is excellent, particularly the capo tunings etc. but it definitely isn't built for speed. The TC looks excellent from the point of view of tuning up on stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Looks pretty rad to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

Id rather my korg pitch black any day :)

Still TC make gud products but is the whole concept necessary?:confused:

Still TC make gud products but is the whole concept necessary?:confused:

Yep...technology man......technology.

Id rather my korg pitch black any day :)

The Pitchblack's a great pedal, I love mine, but I don't get you. I really don't understand all the opposition to this pedal - it's a huge advancement, and it unquestionably makes tuning a lot faster when you need it. Six times faster.

Advertisement