Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gym in Cork or ones to avoid?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Howdy folks.

Thinking is signing up to a gym in Cork, just wondering if there are any really great ones or even ones to avoid. I would like something well equipped, fairly quiet and obviously the cheaper the better.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I use Mayfield gym which is never really busy, has all the equipment you'd need and the staff are relatively friendly. A years membership is €420, but there's also a 'pay as you go' option for €6.50 a time, or €4.00 if you're unwaged. There is also a 25 metre pool and the centre does lots of classes. Take a look here: http://www.mayfieldsportscomplex.ie/

Hope that helps. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I would have recommended the Mardyke Arena, But that's closed due to flooding. I got an email though that said they should reopen around Mid February. Their facilities are great, and is very quiet in the morning.

There's also the Montenotte Hotel Leisure Centre which is close to the city. I've heard nothing but good reviews about them. It is a part of the hotel, but I don't think you have to stay at the hotel to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

NEMO rangers is quite good.......it's pretty quiet and costs 375 per year off-peak, but no pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I love the Locker Room.

http://www.thelockerroom.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

lockerroom is very good,im moving on after 9 months as I moved next to the montenotte so it is just to easy to pass up!
    ill be droping my membership if you want to skip paying up front,pm me
    (sorry if thats against the rules,just might as well save the guy his first months fee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I'd say the Locker Room is probably the best in the city centre if you're looking to combine weights and cardio but it's quite pricey €60 pm(especially considering it doesn't have a pool or spa). The opening times at the weekend aren't great. Closes at 7 on Fridays and at 3 on Saturdays and Sundays. No quiet Friday or Sunday evening workouts :(. It gets quite cramped but if you're able to go off peak then this won't be a concern and you could avail of the cheaper 'off peak' membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Have used both the Mardyke and the Locker room, I'd actually wait until the Mardyke reopens in feb and have a look there, far more facilities. I'm currently just running and cycling, couldn't justify the fees after a pay cut last year, have to admit while I really miss the pool/sauna it feels better to be outdoors.
    This is on adverts though, might be of interest ot you (not my ad!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jfit

I'm a freelance personal trainer i.e. I work in several Cork gyms (and hotels), including the one I'm recommending.

I've recommended Fitnessworx Donnybrook Douglas here before primarily because the guys who own it are up-to-date in terms of sports science plus it has everything the fitness enthusiast needs (not a leisure centre) - they have a New Year offer on the go also right now - they allow pay per visit, around €8 I think.

I hear Mardyke is on schedule to be ready by mid February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

jfit wrote: »
    I'm a freelance personal trainer i.e. I work in several Cork gyms (and hotels), including the one I'm recommending.

I've recommended Fitnessworx Donnybrook Douglas here before primarily because the guys who own it are up-to-date in terms of sports science plus it has everything the fitness enthusiast needs (not a leisure centre) - they have a New Year offer on the go also right now - they allow pay per visit, around €8 I think.

Fitnessworx is excellent i have to say. The 2 guys that run it give great advice and are really friendly. Membership is not that expensive either if i remember correctly. No pool there but lots of other interesting stuff.

Markyke is excellent 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I go NRG on the western road,nice place. www.nrgfitness.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LadyLee

The planet is a good clean well equipped, its 400 for the year at the moment. The only problem with it is the manager, I had overheard (in the sauna) him being referred to as a pig.. and thought it a bit awful etc but I found out for myself first hand- He has no management or people skills to deal with problems or enquiries... never heard of the customer is always right- or anyway right. Its a shame.
    Nice gym but dont expect any customer satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

The Maryborough House Hotel Gym is nice, as is the gym attached to The Midleton Park Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

I think the planet is the best gym in Cork! I have been a member of all the main gyms through out the year, and this is by far the best in my opinion!
    Saw the comment on the manager and I must say I have had no dealings with him -however you should make a formal complaint if you feel that agrieved by it, honestly I think they would prefer to know, as he is only there in the last couple of months.
    Great price at €400 for the year, includes all classes and assessments etc! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LadyLee

There is no one to complain to above the manager.. I tried... I even went to far as to ring the other planet up the country to try and get another contact... I wont even get into this as I do like the gym and dont want to give an impression that it doesnt deserve...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamescork

has any1 got any info on brookfield?

want to get started up but mardyke always seems way overcrowded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mdillon

As they say, it can takes months to get a new customer and seconds to lose an old one...
    I am in full agreement with the comments with regard to the unbelievable lack of customer service that is offered by the management in Planet.

I have only been a member there for 3 months and i would love to cancel my membership if i was offered a partial refund (unfortunately i too thought that the upfront fee of 400 was too good to refuse) I just wished that i did a bit more research prior to handing over my hard earned cash.

My first complaint was the fact that i was not allowed enter the gym due to the fact that i had forgotten my card. The girl at the counter confirmed that i was who i said i was (as she could see my membership picture on her computer screen), but corporate policy was to deny people if they have forgotten their cards.... I couldn’t believe the way i was treated, it was a simple no card-no entry. I was more in shock that angry. I have since said this to all of my friends and no-one has ever heard of a gym refusing entry due to a forgotten card. I imagine it is somewhere in the fine print of all gyms contracts, but really no-one ever enforces it (do they????)

The second complaint is directed towards the manager Paul.
    To begin with i will explain about the floor mats... They are inter-locking rubber mats that are designed to absorb the constant dropping of “heavy” weights. However due to the fact that the rubber expands due to heat, some of the inter connections have come apart and are dangerous and easily an accident waiting to happen. I would have thought that the fault of this poor quality flooring was the responsibility of the management and not the customers who use it!!!

Yesterday i was in the new weights section sitting on a bench, doing bicep curls on my knee using a 9 kilo weight. Paul came running in and started giving out to me for “throwing the weight” to the floor. He continued to blame both me personally and all free-weight users for the fact that the new floor they have laid is beginning to come apart. When i asked him how far i threw the weight, he gestured with his hands that i must have let it fall a whopping 3-4 inches. He stated that he could hear in his office, the sound from the 9kilo weight i dropped over the music.
    Again i was flabbergasted that Paul could speak to a customer the way he spoke to me. I literally felt like a 6 year-old being given out to. He really needs to be reminded that at the end of the day i’m the customer.

If you are considering joining Planet don’t expected to be treated like a customer let alone an Adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I suggest you take a look inside the locker room then.

Death trap doesn't do justice to some of their equipment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

mdillon wrote: »
    As they say, it can takes months to get a new customer and seconds to lose an old one...
    I am in full agreement with the comments with regard to the unbelievable lack of customer service that is offered by the management in Planet.

I have only been a member there for 3 months and i would love to cancel my membership if i was offered a partial refund (unfortunately i too thought that the upfront fee of 400 was too good to refuse) I just wished that i did a bit more research prior to handing over my hard earned cash.

My first complaint was the fact that i was not allowed enter the gym due to the fact that i had forgotten my card. The girl at the counter confirmed that i was who i said i was (as she could see my membership picture on her computer screen), but corporate policy was to deny people if they have forgotten their cards.... I couldn’t believe the way i was treated, it was a simple no card-no entry. I was more in shock that angry. I have since said this to all of my friends and no-one has ever heard of a gym refusing entry due to a forgotten card. I imagine it is somewhere in the fine print of all gyms contracts, but really no-one ever enforces it (do they????)

The second complaint is directed towards the manager Paul.
    To begin with i will explain about the floor mats... They are inter-locking rubber mats that are designed to absorb the constant dropping of “heavy” weights. However due to the fact that the rubber expands due to heat, some of the inter connections have come apart and are dangerous and easily an accident waiting to happen. I would have thought that the fault of this poor quality flooring was the responsibility of the management and not the customers who use it!!!

Yesterday i was in the new weights section sitting on a bench, doing bicep curls on my knee using a 9 kilo weight. Paul came running in and started giving out to me for “throwing the weight” to the floor. He continued to blame both me personally and all free-weight users for the fact that the new floor they have laid is beginning to come apart. When i asked him how far i threw the weight, he gestured with his hands that i must have let it fall a whopping 3-4 inches. He stated that he could hear in his office, the sound from the 9kilo weight i dropped over the music.
    Again i was flabbergasted that Paul could speak to a customer the way he spoke to me. I literally felt like a 6 year-old being given out to. He really needs to be reminded that at the end of the day i’m the customer.

If you are considering joining Planet don’t expected to be treated like a customer let alone an Adult.

You should have told him to f**k off,hate that kinda crap

mdillon wrote: »
    .........He stated that he could hear in his office, the sound from the 9kilo weight i dropped over the music.

lol, what a knob this Paul seems, what did you say to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hibernius

You are all so right about the management at Planet, they are so unfriendly, rude and unhelpful. Paul and Lucy should be aware of "customer service" and what it means. The staff there are fantastic though and the trainers there are amazing and so helpful and friendly, unlike the managers! Quite a few of the good trainers have left, no doubt due to conflict with the management who come across as greedy money grabbers. I've been a member of the gym for 3 years and that's down to the staff and not the management. Hopefully they may become aware of this. Overall though, I'm happy enough there. apart from having to deal with Paul and Lucy who need to change their attitude towards paying members or else go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement