Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reduced Capacity on Heuston Rail Services 20-21/01/2010 due to derailment

• 20-01-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=613

Some Heuston Services Reduced Capacity - Wednesday 20th January by Corporate Communications

Wednesday 20th January 16:00hrs

There will be reduced capacity on some Heuston services this evening, due to a derailment of a out of service train on a siding at Laois Traincare depot, which has also resulted in three sets due for service this evening being blocked into the depot.

A further update on services affected will be made available on this website as soon as possible.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for any inconvenience caused.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Services affected

16.00 Heuston-Cork & 16.25 Heuston-Limerick amalgamated, departing at 16.25, serving all stops for both services. Limerick customers change at Limerick Junction.

16.30 Heuston-Galway & 17.10 Heuston-Athlone amalgamated, departing at 17.10, serving all stops for both services.

18.05 Heuston-Portlaoise cancelled - customers should travel by 18.00 Heuston to Cork, which will depart at 18.05 and additionally serve Monasterevin, Portarlington and Portlaoise OR 18.10 Heuston to Newbridge, which will be extended to Kildare, and also additionally serve Adamstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Services still affected on Thursday morning:
    http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=614

I've been looking at the site plan of Laois Traincare. Looks to me like it was built facing east, no backdoor for this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dowlingm wrote: »

how long does it take to move a derailed train?
    Especially since it was more than likely a slow speed incident with no major damage or casualties hence no investigation and no reason not to correct it immediately. Should have been done overnight at the very least

how long does it take to move a derailed train?
    Especially since it was more than likely a slow speed incident with no major damage or casualties hence no investigation and no reason not to correct it immediately. Should have been done overnight at the very least

Given one coach was apparently at a 30 degree angle between two tracks, probably quite some time - it was not quite as trivial as you suggest. A crane was being brought in overnight I believe.

KC61 wrote: »
    Given one coach was apparently at a 30 degree angle between two tracks, probably quite some time - it was not quite as trivial as you suggest. A crane was being brought in overnight I believe.

I wonder what they were doing that that happened?

Any idea was type (railcar, i presume) it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm surprised services on the South Wexford line weren't disrupted too. :D

I wonder what they were doing that that happened?

Any idea was type (railcar, i presume) it was

From what I was told by a passenger on a passing train, the front set of bogies on on of the coaches in the 6 piece 22K that appeared to be leaving the depot had taken one track, and the rear set of bogies had taken a different track - hence the train derailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

signal fault or human error? or will we ever find out?? so is that another of their brand new train sets off the rails? the way they are going they will soon be reverting back to the ancient craven coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TalkingGoose

Did they not keep a few sets of mark IIIs they'd be kinda handy for something like this and it would give some of the locos something to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

foggy_lad wrote: »
    signal fault or human error? or will we ever find out?? so is that another of their brand new train sets off the rails? the way they are going they will soon be reverting back to the ancient craven coaches

Human error. A shunter messed up.

• Advertisement

Did they not keep a few sets of mark IIIs they'd be kinda handy for something like this and it would give some of the locos something to do.
    Yeah. Yeah they did. They might be a bit damp mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Yeah. Yeah they did. They might be a bit damp mind.

Great Pic!!! Bring them back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Great Pic!!! Bring them back!
    burn them or let the army have tham for target practice!

why oh why if they ever thought they might use these coaches again have they left them open to the elements?surely sealing up the doors is not beyond the expertise of irish rail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

burn them or let the army have tham for target practice!

why oh why if they ever thought they might use these coaches again have they left them open to the elements?surely sealing up the doors is not beyond the expertise of irish rail?

Air conditioned coaches like these would get mouldy and be in far worse condition if they were sealed up.

As for burning them, it is a disgrace that any of these coaches have been scrapped in the first place. They could easily put in 20 more years of service, the fact that coaches of an identical basic design albeit 10 years older and less refined are still in use in the UK on many main lines. Some of these coaches have also spent months and years in outdoor storage before being re-used so it is worthwhile to leave them unused rather than scrap them in case of future demands.

Of course if they are all scrapped then open-access operators who will by law be able to set up services on IE metals in the near future will not have a source of relatively cheap high quality stock passed to run in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

why oh why if they ever thought they might use these coaches again have they left them open to the elements?

What makes you think that they want them to be usable? You have much to learn about CIE.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Air conditioned coaches like these would get mouldy and be in far worse condition if they were sealed up.
    Which I'm sure you would agree would be solved by hooking them up to power and running the A/C for half an hour a day.
    As for burning them, it is a disgrace that any of these coaches have been scrapped in the first place. They could easily put in 20 more years of service
    VIA Rail Canada is currently sending its LRC hauled coaches ordered between 1977-1981 in for rebuild with the expectation of getting, yes, 20 more years. Unfortunately Ireland doesn't have a rail company of the likes of Industrial Rail Services to call on when CIE have let go all the former Mark 3 coachbuilders from Inchicore.
    Some of these coaches have also spent months and years in outdoor storage before being re-used so it is worthwhile to leave them unused rather than scrap them in case of future demands.
    Running 3 x 22K ex Waterford in the morning rather than a six-car Mark3PP or a hauled Mk3 shows that IE would rather let the network fall apart than admit they put those cars into "vandalage" too quickly, especially since it was done after the two six-car sets which rusted in transit were scrapped.
    Of course if they are all scrapped then open-access operators who will by law be able to set up services on IE metals in the near future will not have a source of relatively cheap high quality stock passed to run in Ireland.
    The RUI boys have always maintained open access exists right now - as long as you're willing to cross the border during the service.

especially since it was done after the two six-car sets which rusted in transit were scrapped.

:eek: No way, seriously? I presume they weren't paid for at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

:eek: No way, seriously? I presume they weren't paid for at the very least

I think they were actually returned to Taiwan for repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    I think they were actually returned to Taiwan for repairs.

South Korea I think. Partially paid for with EU funding - support local industry my backside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

South Korea I think. Partially paid for with EU funding - support local industry my backside.

Actually it was 2 3-car units 22010 and 22011 and they were not paid for. IE and Rotem, in South Korea, are making a claim against the shipping company as the corrosion was due to leakage of vapours on board the ship.

While the 22K trains were assembled in Korea many of the major parts - engines, transmisions etc came from the EU.

• Advertisement

The 22s were, as I recall, both scrapped (uneconomic repair due corrosion from fertiliser fumes from an adjoining hold) and Rotem's problem as not accepted by IE.

The latest appears to be that three of the mid-set cars from the derailed 22K/6 require substantial repair beyond IE's capabilities:
    http://etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN139896

Advertisement