Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suzuki Bandit or GS

• 20-01-2010 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,

Complete newbie here. I'm looking to get my first bike. I'm thinking around a 2001 is what I can get of either a Suzuki GS or a Suzuki Bandit. This is the kind of style I like and are supposed to be easier then getting a straight sports bike like a CBR so I hear. Anyone any advise on which would be better for me. Im early 30's with no real experience.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Bandit fo sho. Loves the bandits meself. Great bikes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Hmmm...I've a Bandit myself but I'd not be too sure about getting one as a first bike.

They really are a lovely bike and if you like doing your own maintanence then the Bandit is pretty ok to work with - I've no real experience in this area but I do a few jobs on the Bandit myself and do more all of the time as the old confidence goes up (and the tool kit expands!).

Things to keep in mind with the Bandit is that it is quite heavy and a lot of that mass is at the top - you need to be wary of this when at slow speeds as if you're new to bikes then you need to be very aware of this! Once moving though you'll be fine.

It's not a slow bike either. It's the biggest bike I have ever ridden (had a 125cc for a year before it) so other people can advise better but you need to be disciplined with the throttle hand! It can get you into a lot of trouble but then that power can also get you out of trouble too (close overtaking or pulling out too early and needing to make a legger so as not to be hit!).

A GS500 is a nice bike, never ridden one but quite smaller and maybe a better bet as a new bike but go sit on some and see.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Bandit any time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Go for the Bandit - you say your a newbie here so I am guessing you mat need it restricted also. Bandit is very good all round and well proven as a suitable first big bike (600cc). If price is around the same then I think the Bandit would be the better buy in like for like condition. Insurance won't be much of a difference if you are in your 30's

If you need it restricted then thats straighforward plus after the restriction period is up you can remove it and have a lot more power again. GS is a good bike but as you get more into them you may be looking to change the GS sooner than you would the bandit. Bandit would propably sell quicker in the future as they are well thought of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

actually one of me mates is selling a 02 bandit. Shop restricted and all. He only looking for 1500 if your interested ill send ya on his number.

The bandit is a great all rounder. Its not mentally fast but its fast enough to have a great amount of fun on them. Had one for a few years before I got my gsxr. Simple bikes to work on and have a bullet proof engine. Stick a jack up kit in it and they look way better. Set of renthals and your sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

Had a bandit for a while and loved it, but if your a newbie you may want to get something lighter. I have had 4 bikes over the years ranging from 125 to 1150 and but the one I wish I still had is the first one I got. A Yamaha TZR 125. Absolutely loved it but being a gobsheen I sold it to buy a car. Many many years later I still cant figure out what I was thinking. Never will I forget the first time I experienced the YPVS system:eek:. I only had it a couple of weeks and being a novice I never pushed it too hard. After that I was always revving the bejesus out of it.

Anyway first bike for a novice should be light, comfortable and reliable, preferably from a dealer so you have back up for any problems. Get yourself some experience and confidence and move onto something bigger and a little heavier from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

For what it is worth my first bike was/is a Bandit and have had no issues with its weight or power. Even retricted, it commutes well on the motorway (as in quick enough) but not too reactive to the throttle ( like a sports bike would be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

RosieJoe wrote: »
    For what it is worth my first bike was/is a Bandit and have had no issues with its weight or power. Even retricted, it commutes well on the motorway (as in quick enough) but not too reactive to the throttle ( like a sports bike would be)

Bandit also is my first bike.

They perform at their best at 5000+ rpm and you have to work the gears a little to get the full potential out of them but they are a great bike and bullet proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

First thing you should do is check about the cost of insurance.
    if its your first bike, i am assuming that you may not have a full lic, so are restricted to 25kw, or 33 bhp.
    Factory restristed bikes are cheaper on insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nedned

i have two bandits.never had major trouble.and theres some good bargains out there.one thing i hate doing is the tappets.one bandit has 86k miles onit.
    they are fast bike.but at the end of the day.its the rider who controls the speed.

cheers.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Go for the Bandit, it was my first bike and i still have it.

As said above it is a very top heavy bike so be careful at the start as it can catch you at very slow speeds.

Enjoy it mate and keep safe:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭richiet

Same as most, Bandit.

I have one, restricted, it's my first big bike. I love it, it's plenty fast for me too. Passed my test on it last year, but I'll wait the two years before getting the restricter out.

Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

seanybiker wrote: »
    actually one of me mates is selling a 02 bandit. Shop restricted and all. He only looking for 1500 if your interested ill send ya on his number.

The bandit is a great all rounder. Its not mentally fast but its fast enough to have a great amount of fun on them. Had one for a few years before I got my gsxr. Simple bikes to work on and have a bullet proof engine. Stick a jack up kit in it and they look way better. Set of renthals and your sorted.

thats a grand price

02 still the oiler?

edit; it is so you can drop in a bandit 12 or gsxr11 motor when you get good an keep her forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,450 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I had a '95 GS500 as my second bike (little GP100 two-stroke was my first!) and it was OK although hardly exciting. Build quality was not great though and they rust badly especially the downpipes. I would only pay very small money for a GS and would get it checked out mechanically. There is a stupid design feature where the front sprocket is only secured by a circlip not a nut, mine developed free play which wore the splines on the gearbox shaft, it needed a gearbox strip to fix this, with only 15,000 miles on the clock! Honda CB500 is a far better bike.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement