Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Woes

• 20-01-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

I have problems with my toilets.

The house is just over 7 years old and the toilets are tiny. From research they seem to be 6 litre units. They have developed a couple of issues and I need advice on how to proceed. All toilets seem to have torbecks (or similar) type fill valve with ballcock. All have freeflo 24cm flush siphon.

Ensuite: Slow fill for the past 6 months.

Downstairs: Flush siphon no longer working.

I want to replace the fill valves with side fill fluidmaster valves (1/2 in?) but the cramped conditions within the cistern would be a problem. The flush siphon seems to occupy most of the space under the inlet. If the flush siphon could be turned aroud to face the other direction then this would be fine but the handle is the problem. Am I destined to use the torbecks fill valve due to lack of space?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

why do you not like the torbeck ballvalves, they are just as good as the fluidmaster ones.
    could you put up a cople of pics of the internals of your cistern for better advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

replacing fill valves wont improve flush, they might improve time spent filling. If your toilets are having poor flushes then either flush mechanism is worn down (handle and linking parts) or internal siphon wear (siphon diaphragm).

If toilets are filling no problem best replace siphon, included with a new siphon should be the bits and bobs to connect siphon to handle, you should see an improvement that way.

Most cases the plastic cam that attaches to flush handle wears out, instead of a good tight square fit between handle and cam, after some wear handle rounds off plastic cam. If you pop open toilet lid you should be able to see what I'm talking about, if all's good then you could have a dodgy siphon, inside siphon their is a paddle covered in a light plastic sheet, sheet can break down resulting in less of a siphon action or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

items wrote: »
    replacing fill valves wont improve flush, they might improve time spent filling. If your toilets are having poor flushes then either flush mechanism is worn down (handle and linking parts) or internal siphon wear (siphon diaphragm).

If toilets are filling no problem best replace siphon, included with a new siphon should be the bits and bobs to connect siphon to handle, you should see an improvement that way.

Most cases the plastic cam that attaches to flush handle wears out, instead of a good tight square fit between handle and cam, after some wear handle rounds off plastic cam. If you pop open toilet lid you should be able to see what I'm talking about, if all's good then you could have a dodgy siphon, inside siphon their is a paddle covered in a light plastic sheet, sheet can break down resulting in less of a siphon action or none at all.

Thank you. Your reply has highlighted an error in my original post (now corrected). There is definitely a problem with the siphon in the downstairs toilet as nothing happens when the arm is activated from inside the tank

Advertisement