Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Advice

Options
  • 20-01-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

hi everyone

i am looking for some advice. am on a varible rate mortgage since november. not sure whether i should switch to a fixed rate again before rates shoot up on me. Just wondering if it is a mortgage broker i should go and talk to and if so could anyone suggest someone good

thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I have been dealing with this guy and find him really helpful, might be worth a call.
    http://www.johnmullane.net/

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

I am on a variable rate myself and was also thinking of fixing. I'd say the variable rates will start to go up towards the end of Feb or start of March. I won't be ringing a broker as I will be fixing either way, mind made up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think economists are predicting a slow increase in interest rates from here on out.

I have a fixed rate for 3 years, costs a little bit more than the standard variable rate but that is the price for the security of paying a pre defined amount every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lilstar85

im taking out a mortgage and have been told i can only get variable... is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lilstar85 wrote: »
    im taking out a mortgage and have been told i can only get variable... is it worth it?

I'm no expert and can only go on my own experience but I would say that the reason for that is because the bank are basing the repayments on your monthly salary and calculate that a fixed rate mortgage which has a higher monthly rate may not be suitable/affordable for you according to their lending criteria.

My only advice is to talk to an independant mortgage adviser and of course shop around. I'm sure there is also a dedicated forum here for this kind of thing too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement