Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Book Problem

Options
  • 20-01-2010 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

So I'm after leaving my library book down in cork and my mother for the life of her cannot find it and i won't be back home for 6 weeks, annnd I haven't said this to the library cause I can't find my student card so I can't get in there......however just found it there so how understand would the library be ? Or should I just said I lost it and pay 5 euro or something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Can you renew it online? I thats what I do. You can renew via the ucd library page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Dinkie wrote: »
    Can you renew it online? I thats what I do. You can renew via the ucd library page

Tried that , it says i have two renews on it but the date never changed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Are there any recalls on it? If so, then the due date may have changed, regardless of renewals.

Not sure that the library will be 'understanding' re. extending the due date especially if you knew it was due back by a certain date.

And I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay a lot more than €5 for a 'lost' book. It would probably be cheaper to go back home, find the book and drop it back to the library and pay the fine.

You could always try querying the due date and why it hadn't changed when you renewed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I've decided that I'm just gonna have to go home :\ it kinda sucks but that's the way it is, sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Get the book posted up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Er.... Post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Get the book posted up...
    3DataModem wrote: »
    Er.... Post?
    KeyLimePie wrote: »
    So I'm after leaving my library book down in cork and my mother for the life of her cannot find it

How does one post that which cannot be found?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Seifer wrote: »
    How does one post that which cannot be found?

It was found...
    KeyLimePie wrote: »
    however just found it there so how understand would the library be ? Or should I just said I lost it and pay 5 euro or something

It was found...
    I thought he was referring to his student card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

call them. thats what i did over the break... given i can't find the book yet and i'm praying i do..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 mk1600

Just say you lost the book what's the worst that can happen. As far as i know they can't make you pay.

mk1600 wrote: »
    Just say you lost the book what's the worst that can happen. As far as i know they can't make you pay.
    You pay the fee for losing a book.
    You can't graduate until you clear your library debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Of course they can make you pay. Any library I'v ever worked in has that rule. If that was the case nobody would pay fines for late books, they would "lose" them.

As for the not graduating before you pay fines, thats not necessarily true. I know plenty who have graduated. If you owed major fines or had lost several books, perhaps. but not over something like a fine of a couple of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Yes they can. If the book is lost they'll send you a bill for replacement, if you don't pay this it goes to a debt collection agency.

Go into the library - be honest, they can renew it for you (unless someone else wants it or it's a short loan) to give you some time to look for it. If you can't find it either buy them a new one or pay the bill.

Advertisement