Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage interest rates advice

Options
  • 20-01-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

hi everyone

i am looking for some advice. am on a varible rate mortgage since november. not sure whether i should switch to a fixed rate again before rates shoot up on me. Just wondering if it is a mortgage broker i should go and talk to and if so could anyone suggest someone good. I live in Limerick but will travel

thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

AIB and BOI have lowest fixed rates. If you are with one of them it should be easy enough to move to fixed rate. If you want to switch to BOI they are offering up to €750 towards legal fees - but the offer ends soon and you have to go direct not through a broker.

A lot of the panic stories in the papers advising people to go on a fixed rate are started by brokers. They are probably hoping a few people will switch lenders and get them some commission.
    Why not fix half of your mortgage and keep half variable? That way you will not always be thinking "I wish I fixed" or "I wish I hadn't fixed" .

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

If I were on a variable rate I would consider switching to a fixed rate over the next 4 to 5 months.

The following brokers have a good reputation, all located in Limerick.
    1. Frost Insurances
    2. Bermingham Hooper Dolan
    3. Blue Sky Mortgages

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Hi everyone

Thxs a million 4 the replies. Am going to see a mortgage broker on wednesday so I will post up any advice i get. thxs again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Debbie H

I would def consider fixing over the next 3 months. There is very good value out there at the moment on fixed rates....I know with AIB you can fix for 2 years for 2.8%! That is really good value considering that their highest LTV band variable rate right now is 2.65%. You are paying an extra 0.15% for the security of 2 years.....

Advertisement