Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in London - on 15K salary

Options
  • 20-01-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello everyone,

I'd really love some words of advice. I've recently accepted a job in London that would provide me with invaluable experience, something I just can't in Dublin right now. Basically, I'd like to use this job to springboard my career, eventually returning home after a year or so, or getting a better paid job in London. It's in Richmond, which I hear is a nice area. Does anyone have any advice for living in London on a (very) strict budget?

Is it possible? Or is my fear of signing on clouding my better judgement?!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Hey,

That's what I and everyone else who work for my company earn and live on in London (I work in retail). You won't have loads of extra cash but it's grand. I work in Zone 1, live in Zone 2, have nights out, definitely don't starve etc.

It all comes down to what you are used to though. I don't grocery shop in M&S, get regular haircuts, go out for dinner etc - whereas some people would think it normal to do that every week. Obviously I am a lot worse off now then when I lived in Dublin and worked in retail - due to much lower wages in comparison to the price of rent and travel expenses - but I am used to it now. I wouldn't consider myself to be living on a tight budget at all. I never run out of money or anything. But then, I have housemates who earn twice what I do and they complain of being strapped for cash - I haven't a clue how. My biggest bug bear is that I can't get a mortage or save very much - but that wouldn't really concern you if you were only doing it for a year or so.

If you live near work you will save a fortune on travel expenses and you should be able to get a flatshare in Richmond or nearby for a reasonable enough price.

You can live very cheaply in London, or you can live very expensively. You can choose to go to the pub where you can get a bottle of wine for £5 or you can go to the one where a glass of wine costs £10. It is such a big city, with so much to do for all budgets that no matter what you earn you can live well on it in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Getting a part time job job should be easy enough, look on Gumtree for a house share.

Best of luck

Advertisement