Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions/advice needed on a school situation. Greatly appreciated.

Options
  • 20-01-2010 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Alri, what's up, let me briefly fill you in.

I'm having trouble in math class (ordinary) and so are a few other friends of mine. A few weeks before Christmas I had asked my yearhead if I could move to another class (ordinary) - yes, same difficulty level but my problem was the teacher not the actual maths. The class I am in currently is not working out for me due to my maths teachers lack of explaining/proper teaching. 1 example and automatically we are expected to understand fully.

So anyway my year-head said yes, he will work on it.
    2 weeks later - "I'm really trying my best, I'm not playing around. I'll get it all sorted after Christmas" (along with my friends who wanted to move class also (they asked themselves on a later date)
    4 weeks later - No word whatsoever on the situation.

Since the 27th of November to now the 20th of January -
    still noting.

I asked continuously not only to my yearhead but to my tutor and maths teacher herself. Most of my other friends stopped trying and just stuck with it. I along with 1 other guy didn't. I really do want to change Maths class and so does he.
    I have not done my maths homework in around 3 weeks, 12 times in total I couldn't and didn't do my homework.

Yesterday, my very unsociable/mentally challenged tutor got my friend a spot in the class. Cool. What about me? I HAVE BEEN FREAKING ASKING MY YEARHEAD FOR OVER 1/2 MONTHS NOW! If I do remember, I was the first to ask him.

Perhaps it's because I missed quite a few days (15ish this year in total) though they are all explainable, so noting wrong there? right? But that still does not explain why she would move him and not me.

I heard that my tutor has been working "hard" to get him the spot, unfortunately she is also my English teacher, lucky me?

You should meet this gal? I swear she is proper bonkers, she is abused in class on a day to day basis, in other words: nobody gives a bollox what she says, everyone just talks while she "attempts" to keep control.

I'm just, really pissed off.

It's not fair, I really need this spot in the other class, my maths is poor and this could be the only chance I have to improve.

Anyways, thanks for reading and have a good day.

-Stefan.

P/s I'm in 5th year, so luckily I have another whole year to study for the leaving cert (phew).

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Move to higher level, then back again.
    1) by comparison ordinary will seem easier
    2) in the move back down you might get shifted to the other class.

Or get grinds, with a sexy tutor who totally fancies you and will make sweet love to you in a nightclub cloakroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 noahtheawesome

I might try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Hi man I had the same problem I sucked at ordinary maths and had a **** teacher in 5th year, so I go a tutor but I fealt it was not enough I then got grinds outside of school something you should look into, but I felt it was I was still bad I moved to a grind school tutorial in fact I got my pass and got into college. If all dosent work you should consider maybe moving to another school or grind school for your LC. If you cant do that tell your parents or guardian whats going on and try to get them to speak to your headmaster and head of year, it really needs to be adressed as a serious problem.
    If you dont pass maths you dont get into college
    but remember its not the end of the world so dont stress out to the point of not being able to think about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

I have the exact same problem but I am in 6th year :eek:.
    Just make sure to do more than what is given for homework,
    What are the chances that we have the same teacher ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just a word of advice - if you want your request to be taken seriously in the school, stop the remarks about the mental health and professionalism of your teachers. You have no qualification to make any such remarks and can get yourself into a lot of trouble.

Get your parents or guardian involved. Make an appointment to see the Year Head (or Principal, depending on how your school works). Make some attempt at doing your homework, I doubt you can make no attempt at all. You will get nowhere if your teacher can say you're not even trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

lcrcboy wrote: »
    If you dont pass maths you dont get into college
    This isn't correct. I know someone who failed their maths exam and are currently in College and are gonna take their maths exam again in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

This sounds like a rant more than anything.

You have to do your best to work with the teacher you have atm, which means paying full attention in class and doing your best with the homework.

When/if you get moved to a different teacher, don't be expecting miracles. Maths is still maths and you still gotta do them, no matter how they're thought.

Judging from your post and your comments about homework, tutors, etc it seems that your attitude with your teacher is holding you back just as much as the teacher themself may be. If you're not gonna do the work cause you think the teacher is crap, you're not gonna get anywhere.

Did you do OL for the Junior Cert?

EDIT: It is possible still get into 3rd level without maths, although for the majority of courses you do need maths, although some places (like UL) offer their own maths-competancy exam which you must pass to get the course (this depends on the course). If you can't pass LC maths then your chances for the competancy exam isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OP, get your parents involved. I had a similar situation with an Irish teacher. My dad called up to the school, had a word with the Principal and I was sorted the next day.

spurious wrote: »
    Just a word of advice - if you want your request to be taken seriously in the school, stop the remarks about the mental health and professionalism of your teachers. You have no qualification to make any such remarks and can get yourself into a lot of trouble.

Get your parents or guardian involved. Make an appointment to see the Year Head (or Principal, depending on how your school works). Make some attempt at doing your homework, I doubt you can make no attempt at all. You will get nowhere if your teacher can say you're not even trying.

You don't know my teacher. <snip> post edited to remove defamatory material- Piste</snip> I'm being honest - she cannot control the class nor has any clue on what she is doing:

Nor does my yearhead (though I gotta be honest, he let me into da school after being in carlow for 2 years. but still, he wont effing give a sh!te about me nor the other students.

(sigh)

do you think i should ask again? he will only get angrier.. or do you guys think i should do better in school and then hopefulyl get noticed for being good. then ask?

if my dad comes in. i swear hes gonna kill my idiotic yearhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

noahtheawesome you might want to edit your post, I don't think you're suppose to name your teachers, especially when you're b1tching about them. Which by the way is pretty immature and sly. There's no need to try and name and shame the teacher, even if you do think they're bad at their job.

Lawliet wrote: »
    noahtheawesome you might want to edit your post, I don't think you're suppose to name your teachers, especially when you're b1tching about them. Which by the way is pretty immature and sly. There's no need to try and name and shame the teacher, even if you do think they're bad at their job.

I guess you gotta do some things to get heard. right? what else can I do. he wont move me. therefore im pretty much gonna fail maths cuase i cant depend on my maths teacher to teach me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I guess you gotta do some things to get heard. right?
    I guess it depends on what you want people to hear, either in the school or indeed on here ...

(a) a sane, logical, polite, well-thought out argument as to why you should be moved from one class to the other

or

(b) a rant which places all the blame for your problems with maths at the foot of one teacher, who you proceed to publicly vilify and slander.

What I'm hearing at the moment is mostly (b).

Are you sure that's not what your year head is hearing also?

If so, do you think this is helping your case?

To quote the old tag, "you will catch more flies with honey!" ... or in this case with courtesy and a well-presented case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Is it even possible to move up to higher from ordinary? I think the op would be even more confused if s/he did this, especially seeing as they're struggling with ordinary(albeit with a bad teacher)

Advertisement