Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Essay Choices

Options
  • 20-01-2010 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Im currently undertaking the strenuous task of getting my head around the amount of information required for history.
    It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction in regards to what exactly i should study. :)

For example in Dictatorship and Democracy would it be safe for me to study:

just Mussolini and Hitler
    or
    just Mussolini and Stalin

i.e Just studying two dictators instead of all three...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

I'd say you'll get away with leaving Stalin out, think I'm doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

If you want you can just learn all the case studies and you'll be sorted but obviously that's not a great idea..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Donnie_Dark0

zam wrote: »
    If you want you can just learn all the case studies and you'll be sorted but obviously that's not a great idea..

That sounds great why would it not be a good idea?
    Is one case study bound to come up in each section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

That sounds great why would it not be a good idea?
    Is one case study bound to come up in each section?
    I did a bit of looking through the papers to see how often case studies come up, and generally at least 1 comes up. Not all the time, but about 90% of the time.

US Case studies:
    Montgomery Bus Boycott
    Space Race
    Vietnam War & Lyndon B Johnson

Irish: Sovereignity & Partition:
    Anglo-Irish Treaty negotiations
    Belfast during WWII
    1932 Eucharistic Congress

Dictatorship & Democracy:
    Stalin's Show Trials
    Nuremberg Rallies
    Jarrow March, October 1936

If i studied just these am i guaranteed at least one will come up in each section?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

That's what I am going to do anyways, yano just focus on the case studies. I have no hope otherwise and they more than likely will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Mary007 wrote: »
    That's what I am going to do anyways, yano just focus on the case studies. I have no hope otherwise and they more than likely will come up.
    They're arn't gauranteed to come up. And, they may mention them and then ask you to expand onto other areas of the course; risky business indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

theowen wrote: »
    They're arn't gauranteed to come up. And, they may mention them and then ask you to expand onto other areas of the course; risky business indeed.

It's that or nothing I'm afraid, history is the only subject I have done no work in in either 5th or 6th year. I was even considering giving it up. Opted to learn the case studies now instead and just hope for the best. Worst comes to worst there's always LCVP.

theowen wrote: »

Yeah didnt think it would be that easy....
    How would you recomend i tackle Dictatorship & Democracy /The United States And The World...
    For instance just doing two dictators...bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Learn the case studies and you'll be sorted basically. But you need to know the wider areas around each one, for example if asked about the Anglo-Irish Treaty they might ask you how it led to the Civil War, or instead of asking only about the Belfast Blitz they'd ask about World War 2's impact on Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

As far as I know the document question is definitely on Northern Ireland (unless there's choices involved, I'm not too sure) So you should really study over that too.
    My advice would probably be the case studies and then just writing out notes from the book, maybe even just lists of names and dates from different areas.
    If all else fails, ask your teacher, I'm sure he/she would be willing to help, even though you haven't done work up until now, most teachers are nice enough to help you if you want to change that

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Keogg wrote: »
    As far as I know the document question is definitely on Northern Ireland (unless there's choices involved, I'm not too sure) So you should really study over that too.
    My advice would probably be the case studies and then just writing out notes from the book, maybe even just lists of names and dates from different areas.
    If all else fails, ask your teacher, I'm sure he/she would be willing to help, even though you haven't done work up until now, most teachers are nice enough to help you if you want to change that

Documents question is on Northern Ireland. We have no choice.

Only Case Studies are needed to be known in detail for documents but background may be helpful. Definatley for NI section spend pretty much all your time on Case Studies maybe just read the rest once or twice over the coming months.

Ok well i think its a bit risky just studying the case studies so for "The pursuit of Sovereignty and the impact of partition" i studied this...

-Case Study:The treaty Negotiations
    -The Civil War
    -Cumann Na nGaedheal (In Government/Economy/Anglo-Irish Relations)
    -Fianna Fail (In Government/Economy/Anglo-Irish Relations)

If that was all i covered would i get away with it for that particular question?
    Theres bound to be a question on something there?

I might throw in the War of Independence 1919-21 and im sorted id say...

Advertisement