Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence and Security!!

Options
  • 20-01-2010 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else see a huge security risk in the new licence format?? Surely its just plain crazy to include all the details of the application on the acceptance letter:eek:.

Wasnt sure how it all worked so went to the post office to pay, thinking they would scan the barcode and return the letter!! but no, they hold onto it and give you a receipt of payment. That letter then sits in a tray for all to see untill the end of the day where it is sent to head office.

With the old system only the FO knew who where and what you had....now some an post worker has access to all that info. Thats scary:eek:

Since this info is a security risk shouldnt the acceptance letter contain a simple " your application was successfull" a barcode and nothing else other than a ref number.

Next time it will be getting posted direct to HQ and not some local post office for all to know my buissness.

Its so messed up

( if this topic has been raised b4...... whoops sorry)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

They're not supposed to take the letter. There've been numerous posts on that subject here since the system came into being.

They don't need it. And as for security of data within the PO network, I think targetwidow would have something to say to you about PO workers integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭BigAl>>

rrpc wrote: »
    They're not supposed to take the letter. There've been numerous posts on that subject here since the system came into being.

They don't need it. And as for security of data within the PO network, I think targetwidow would have something to say to you about PO workers integrity.

Bit late now!!!! didnt want to make a big fuss in the PO and bring more attention than there already was in realtion to the paperwork that they already had.

Out of interest does anyone know what happens to the letters that are posted back or (stupidly) send/handed in to the PO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Thanks RRPC nice to know we dont have to hand that in ( I assumed you did too)

Darr

Darr wrote: »
    Thanks RRPC nice to know we dont have to hand that in ( I assumed you did too)

Darr

Whish I had of known too! Am kinda freaked out about the info now floating around in genral PO hands. Only takes for it to fall into the hands of one wrong person in the PO service and I dnt want to even think about the consequence:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Irish Springer

+1 with rrp

They just scanned the barcode on mine and handed it back with reciept stapled to acceptance letter.

• Advertisement

+1 with rrp

They just scanned the barcode on mine and handed it back with reciept stapled to acceptance letter.

Again thts wht I thought, but the guy was adamant that they keep it:mad:.

Nothing much I can do now. Dont know if its worth the hassel contacting the PO to reclaim the letter!

They were going to take my first one, but I insisted that they didn't or at the least give me a copy. Phone calls ensued and I got my letter back. The next one I didn't have to ask :D

As for the data, when they scan the barcode, they see all the info on the screen in front of them. In other words, they have it already and don't need the letter and they already have the data, so giving you the letter back doesn't affect security one way or another.

targetwidow is a poster here who's also a postmistress and she insists that they are above reproach and she also likes chocolates ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

+ 1 on everything rrpc. Scan it, get your letter back, recieve license. Ring the post office and get the letter back. Shouldn't be too much to it.

.............targetwidow is a poster here ...... she also likes chocolates ;)

Interesting :D. A little back story there somewhere methinks???????? A story for another day and possibly another forum, ya sly dog.:p
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

targetwidow is a poster here who's also a postmistress and she insists that they are above reproach and she also likes chocolates ;)

My postmistress, like all postmistresses, knows everything about everyone but keeps it to herself. In a rural area you are lot less anonimous than on boards. Also in an area like mine there is a gun in at least every third house. I think this security thing has to be taken in context, where I live it's almost assumed you'd have a gun in the house, in some parts of the country if you had a fully moderated UZI you would keep it very very quiet, (no pun intended). The problem as I see it is, if people don't know how many normal law abiding people have firearms then it becomes easier for the state to demonise us.

Be proud you shoot.

+1

Except I'd say that you treat it as if it was normal rather than making a big song and dance about it. The same way you'd play GAA or rugby or whatever.

But you're right, in country areas it doesn't raise an eyebrow and is just part of the culture. I'd go into a local shop and be asked how things are with the range and how great it is to see it so busy :)

• Advertisement

sfakiaman wrote: »

Be proud you shoot.

I am proud, doesnt mean I want to shout it loud for all to know.:rolleyes: I like to enjoy my sport in a country setting:) dnt want to have to end up doing it in a urban setting:D all beacuase of a security flaw in the new system.

ezridax wrote: »
    Interesting :D. A little back story there somewhere methinks???????? A story for another day and possibly another forum, ya sly dog.:p

No, no, no, noooooo! :eek:

You misunderstand. Do a search for targetwidow's posts and it'll all become clear.

happyjack might have something to say about that as well... :D

Advertisement