Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what language(s) are you learning?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Well, it's Irish & German for me.
    I don't really know why I'm learning them, just ended up doing it:D

I think I'll try Spanish someday

...someday :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Did HL French in school so gna work on it again in my own time cos I wanna head to France for the summer next year

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Mandarin, only concentrating on spoken at the moment and pinyin (the romanization system for simplified Mandarin)

Mainly learning from mp3's from the US Foreign Service Institute.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Russian mostly but I'm moving to Kosovo soon so really should get a move on with the Albanian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Im doing French and Spanish in school (TY) defo droping french for LC spanish is a breeze compared..... Want to take spanish and german in uni, cant wait....!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

learning french, well near fluency now and irish which i will drop after school to go and study french and spanish at third level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Studying German and Spanish in college, great fun but a tad stressful at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Soccertainer

Yup Japanese! Konnichiwa!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

I'm learning Romanian right now. I learned some basics and got my girlfriend last year because i could have a basic conversation with her and it caught her attention. :) But now she has me learning it intensively for when i go meet her family later this year! Hard language. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Gaunty wrote: »
    I'm learning Romanian right now. I learned some basics and got my girlfriend last year because i could have a basic conversation with her and it caught her attention. :) But now she has me learning it intensively for when i go meet her family later this year! Hard language. :(

Wow, meeting the gf's parents, but in another language!!!:eek:
    Nasty stuff!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Spanish and irish here.

I tried to force dutch upon the (irish) boyfriend but that never worked :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 morphem

Hindu, Portuguese here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I'm learning French and Spanish, through my degree. Occasionally I'm improving my Irish, and I plan to study Italian soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Trying to learn Arabic.
    Still on the basics, hopefully I'll do the alphabet after I've mastered basic speech.
    Also trying hard to pull my German and Irish up to where they were two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Latin and French. If I ever decide to become a priest in France I'm pretty much sorted.

Well, apart from the minor issue of not believing in God...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Picking up Korean again, but this time studying it through Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Japanese for me and some German.

Half thinking of furthering my education and doing an applied languages undergraduate course in both Japanese & German.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

German and Spanish done, now I'm learning Portuguese.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Half thinking of furthering my education and doing an applied languages undergraduate course in both Japanese & German.

Go for it!! I'm thinking the same myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 obriensimo

Gaunty wrote: »

Ha me too man, tought I was the only one in Ireland... Just starting off, but BYKI 4 really helps... You should download it... It helps especially with the written part, for remembering where to underline the T's and overline the A's... Where's your girlfriend from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Russian :D

• Advertisement

• Learning Portuguese and Dutch (very on and off)

Have a high level of French and Spanish but they've slipped a lot since I stopped using them on a daily basis. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Czech! Though I appear to be the only one in the country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

Hungarian, as it's my wifes native tongue..and it's a tricky one...the language not her tongue!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

German for me. I'm dabbling in a bit of Norwegian too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Echizado

It's very difficult to learn another language with no one to practice... I'm trying to learn Serbian and Hungarian.

I speak Spanish and I'm a fan of Barcelona FC I started learning Catalan which isn't too difficult for me, both languages are very similiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jackinyogrill

I'm learning basic Polish, I'm heading to Lublin in two weeks for a conference. I've got to recommend the Michel Thomas method for language learning, though. I downloaded a sample mp3 from their site, and already I have enough standard phrases to get myself into, and out of, trouble with the police :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Russian, for no real reason except its probably the only language I am motivated to learn.

It actually not that bad once you get over the alphabeth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Echizado wrote: »
    It's very difficult to learn another language with no one to practice... I'm trying to learn Serbian and Hungarian.

I speak Spanish and I'm a fan of Barcelona FC I started learning Catalan which isn't too difficult for me, both languages are very similiar

Use Skype to chat to people! It's very weird at the start, but soon it's no different to chatting to a stranger in a bar. ;)
    I'm on another language forum (called how-to-learn-any-language) and there is a thread where you can write which languages you're learning and which you speak and you're Skype ID. I had a Russian conversation with someone from Moscow yesterday. Really helps.

I'm also learning Serbian. I live in Kosovo so am learning Albanian and Serbian too. Trying to stay neutral. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

learning french, well near fluency now and irish which i will drop after school to go and study french and spanish at third level

Never throw away a language, I say.
    Even years later a language can come in useful again, you never know. Keep your hand in (an cumann gaelach if there's one in college, ciorcal comhrá or whatever, even just watching ros na rún!) if you can. You'll find it's not wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

deirdremf wrote: »
    Never throw away a language, I say.
    Even years later a language can come in useful again, you never know. Keep your hand in (an cumann gaelach if there's one in college, ciorcal comhrá or whatever, even just watching ros na rún!) if you can. You'll find it's not wasted.

no i'm not learning it of my own free will, i hate it and am wasting my time. just doing enough to do the LC and then off it goes so i can get back into learning some german

Advertisement