Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

so what language(s) are you learning?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Forget learning much from the grammar books by themselves. Buy yourself a little novel -- Le Petit Prince, or if you're adventurous L'étranger would be good. You'll pick up the grammar as you go along, and anything you really don't get you can look up afterwards. More importantly, you'll learn tons of words, and all the grammar/vocab will constantly be repeated, unlike the once-off nature of a guide. You'll be amazed at your pace of learning once you immerse yourself in a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I recently moved to Prague and am about to start Czech lessons on Friday. I've also been told that it would be a good idea to brush up on my German.

I'm still looking to improve my Spanish and Portuguese (though, it's at a lot lower level than my Spanish).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭una_profesora

Spanish. It's my second week :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Aard wrote: »
    Forget learning much from the grammar books by themselves. Buy yourself a little novel -- Le Petit Prince, or if you're adventurous L'étranger would be good. You'll pick up the grammar as you go along, and anything you really don't get you can look up afterwards. More importantly, you'll learn tons of words, and all the grammar/vocab will constantly be repeated, unlike the once-off nature of a guide. You'll be amazed at your pace of learning once you immerse yourself in a story.

Anyone got a German novel they would recommend for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I speak Italian, essential for living in the South of Italy as understanding of English is not great down here, and I can also throw my hand to a few phrases in Neopolitan dialect which the locals always get a giggle out of:D

Am trying to decide what my next language will be. I want to study a major language with a different alphabet and so far I have narrowed it to Chinese, Arabic or Russian. I know a little tiny bit of Russian and found I quite enjoyed it when I studied it, but I suppose if I am being realistic Chinese or Arabic would be the more important languages to learn from a business and work point of view. Must say of the 2 though Arabic appeals to me more.

Advertisement