Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting college in Sept. 2010 - Looking for Grants Info

Options
  • 20-01-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,
    I deferred a course in IT Tralee last year, so i will be starting in September 2010. I am 34 years of age so i will be entering as a mature student. I will be getting made redundant from work next month so hopefully everything will be ok for September. I am hearing alot of different info about cutbacks in the grants for next year. Does anybody know if i will still get social welfare payments (€196 p/w) on top of the maintenance grant? Also, does anybody know of any other grants that i could apply for?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

The citizens information website are great for giving up to date infomation on all the different grants etc, so maybe check out their website (sorry i dont actually have it so you will have to google that one!)

Then there is the BETA or Back to education allowance, which is the same amount as the dole (198 per wk) and if your on that you are also entitled to apply for rent allowance-if you are actually renting! They dont pay the whole amount of your rent but it certainaly is a big help) and also allowed whilst recieving the BETA is ..,WORKING!! all i know is that your apparantly allowed to work while recieving BETA but im not sure if its only part time that they let you do or if you can do full time hours....

Then what i know about grants was sourced from the different college websites and google! and that is this ; You apply to your local county council (which would also have information on their websites-which you may have to google to get also) or else at the top of this page - Mature / Non Traditional students, there are a number of threads / stickys,which give correct,clear and concise information and there is one there on grants that you will get alot of information from (iv looked at it and its very good)

After that im not sure, so any information you get, id appreciate if you would post it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hey Kingdomlad, hows things? I was just wondering if you found out anymore about the grants, or if you made contact with any of the organisations i suggested?

If you got any info id appreciate if you could reply and let me know!!!

Thanks,

Advertisement