Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

wez99950 wrote: »
    i didn't realise that you could watch tv on the ipod/iphone. does anyone have an app that they use and would recommend??

I agree with AntiRip that TVU is rubbish lately!
    You can watch sky news live from their free app!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

gartcork wrote: »
    I agree with AntiRip that TVU is rubbish lately!
    You can watch sky news live from their free app!

I remember reading on this thread about TVU and saw that it got mixed reviews. Also, on iTunes, the reviews are quite bad! I was hoping there might be an alternative app.

Downloading the sky news app right now, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

AntiRip wrote: »
    Instapaper is a good app. It's a ReadMeLater app. There's a bit to installing the marklet to safari but once done, it's very handy. It caches websites for later reader when you're offline.

Absolutely love Instapaper! It's one of the most used apps on my iPhone & iPad.

please forgive my ignorance but what exactly is dessid? what do you do with it/how do you use it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

please forgive my ignorance but what exactly is dessid? what do you do with it/how do you use it!?

Basically this App decodes WEP encryption keys for Eircom routers.
    If there is a router close by, scan shows up in the top right corner.
    If the password hasn't been changed it will show up in bold black.
    Tap this and the password will be copied onto your pasteboard.
    To join that network, go to Settings, Wi-Fi then tap the same network and Paste the password into the password field. Voila...Free Wi-Fi!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Driver is 79cent along with a few other gameloft apps. Worth getting? Its probably the biggest game app ive seen size wise, coming in at over 400mb :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Today fm has been updated to support podcasts in iOS4 sadly they didn't enable background audio that in the ios4 SDK but they already use safari and it would require app redesign.

gartcork wrote: »
    Basically this App decodes WEP encryption keys for Eircom routers.
    If there is a router close by, scan shows up in the top right corner.
    If the password hasn't been changed it will show up in bold black.
    Tap this and the password will be copied onto your pasteboard.
    To join that network, go to Settings, Wi-Fi then tap the same network and Paste the password into the password field. Voila...Free Wi-Fi!!

Thank you! Sounds like a very very useful app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

For anyone with Diabetes type 2 and wants to keep an eye on their levels the free app Glucose Buddy is a little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Thank you! Sounds like a very very useful app :)

Not any more the scan function has been removed so this app is now useless, save yourself the money and don't download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

muletide wrote: »
    Not any more the scan function has been removed so this app is now useless, save yourself the money and don't download

Or you could download something like WifiTrak to scan for the networks, make a note of the name, then open Dessid, type in the name of the network, and let it do its thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Today fm and rte news app have being updated. Haven't tried rte yet but today fm works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

Soarer wrote: »
    Or you could download something like WifiTrak to scan for the networks.

Does the iPhone not have its own built in ability to scan for networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

guil wrote: »
    Today fm and rte news app have being updated. Haven't tried rte yet but today fm works fine
    Although it's updated for iOS4, it still kills the background listening to podcasts if you open a text, etc.

It doesn't appear to have fully implemented the Multitasking yet.

Does the iPhone not have its own built in ability to scan for networks?

Yup, it does.
    But I find that, at any given time, I could turn on the wifi on the phone and there'd be nothing found, and when I scan with Wifitrak, it could find half a dozen.
    Don't know why.:confused:

Can't seem to find wifitrak, is it on the itunes store?

I'm fairly sure it is, yeah.
    That said, I could've easily got it from Cydia.

Maybe Google it, and it'll bring up a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Sorry for posting this again but it might have gotten over looked.
    Has anyone used the app "foocall" http://www.foocall.com/iphone just looking for any advice or experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

gears wrote: »
    Sorry for posting this again but it might have gotten over looked.
    Has anyone used the app "foocall" http://www.foocall.com/iphone just looking for any advice or experiences.

I have used it but found it bit expensive, if basically dials local landline number and then connect your call, if you have free landline calls then other voip alternative are very cheap such as dialnow, localphone etc.

I'm fairly sure it is, yeah.
    That said, I could've easily got it from Cydia.

Maybe Google it, and it'll bring up a link to it?

Had a look around and looks like it's not available from the itunes irish store!

• Advertisement

deep1 wrote: »
    I have used it but found it bit expensive, if basically dials local landline number and then connect your call, if you have free landline calls then other voip alternative are very cheap such as dialnow, localphone etc.

The problem I have is that I will need to call an Irish mobile of a friend who'll be travelling so I can't rely on regular voip as we can't be guatenteed wifi access so I though this seemed to offer a cheap alternative. But I think I'm getting confused as to what these services offer are they just to call foreign land or mobile numbers from say Ireland or can you actually use them as I want to call a Irish mobile abroad.

The problem I have is that I will need to call an Irish mobile of a friend who'll be travelling so I can't rely on regular voip as we can't be guatenteed wifi access so I though this seemed to offer a cheap alternative. But I think I'm getting confused as to what these services offer are they just to call foreign land or mobile numbers from say Ireland or can you actually use them as I want to call a Irish mobile abroad.

You don't need to be on wifi or 3g to use the sites i mentioned above. if you have free landlines then great.
    for your purpose i will advise use localphone.com.
    once you register with them they give you few diff landline number for your speed dials (very handy), yes you can call anywhere in world and also Irish mobile.
    Calls to Irish mobile is about 8 cent i think.
    check localphone.com

You don't need to be on wifi or 3g to use the sites i mentioned above. if you have free landlines then great.
    for your purpose i will advise use localphone.com.
    once you register with them they give you few diff landline number for your speed dials (very handy), yes you can call anywhere in world and also Irish mobile.
    Calls to Irish mobile is about 8 cent i think.
    check localphone.com

8 cent would be good but do you know if this rate cover an Irish mobile which is in say Australia or Thailand. I have sent localphone tech support an email so I hope I get a reply, it's funny a phone company that doesn't have a phone number to call them...

8 cent would be good but do you know if this rate cover an Irish mobile which is in say Australia or Thailand. I have sent localphone tech support an email so I hope I get a reply, it's funny a phone company that doesn't have a phone number to call them...

funny allright, yes i think you are still calling Irish mobile which is in roaming so you still pay 8 cent and your friend pay the roaming charges, i will also have a look on dialnow.com and compare what suits you.
    They have something called call to call( i could be wrong) with that your friend can call you with local rates as well.
    just have a look.

funny allright, yes i think you are still calling Irish mobile which is in roaming so you still pay 8 cent and your friend pay the roaming charges, i will also have a look on dialnow.com and compare what suits you.
    They have something called call to call( i could be wrong) with that your friend can call you with local rates as well.
    just have a look.

Would you believe they got back to me, very quick I thought. Any way the rate is 14.3/min for an Irish mobile, they didn't confirm if that rate was valid if the mobile is outside the country so I asked for confirmation. It wouldnt be bad if it was 14.3c. Ill check out the call to call thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Would you believe they got back to me, very quick I thought. Any way the rate is 14.3/min for an Irish mobile, they didn't confirm if that rate was valid if the mobile is outside the country so I asked for confirmation. It wouldnt be bad if it was 14.3c. Ill check out the call to call thing.

No matter where in the world the phone is, you will pay the standard rate. Your friend will be charged the roaming rate for receiving calls by his provider.

That will be a good rate as they'll be Thailand and it was looking like €2.00/min other wise.

Or you could download something like WifiTrak to scan for the networks, make a note of the name, then open Dessid, type in the name of the network, and let it do its thing.

WifiTrak doesnt seem to be available to download from Ireland, is this right? And is there a good alternative as I've tried a good few and they don't seem to work so well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Downloaded SCIPHONE this morning from the Top 25 FREE list.

It's a really nicely put together app letting you search (and preview) hundreds of wallpapers from all sorts of themes. You need a connection as it goes online to trawl it's database. Found some really slick BGs. :)

Obviously only reall useful for OS 4.0 (or jailbroken?) users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dades wrote: »
    Downloaded SCIPHONE this morning from the Top 25 FREE list.

It's a really nicely put together app letting you search (and preview) hundreds of wallpapers from all sorts of themes. You need a connection as it goes online to trawl it's database. Found some really slick BGs. :)

Obviously only reall useful for OS 4.0 (or jailbroken?) users.

DL'd this earlier today as well - great app.

Advertisement