Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cotts

anyone got any good chat apps as my facebook chat never works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Cotts wrote: »

Hi, try ebuddy, I use for MSN but also supports Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Switcher Plus. New cydia app. Very handy and it's free. :)

Other new cydia apps shown here

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/729794-whats-new-cydia-lsrotator-home-page-safari-foldersinfolders.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Super Mega Worm: I don't know if it's been posted before, but I've been playing it all day, it's so addictive. :D
    Easily one of the best apps since Doodle Jump. It supports Game Center too, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Mellor wrote: »
    I was hoping map my run or similar have something free out there that does it via google maps type interface

MotionX GPS Lite is free and you can save your tracks.

They can be emailed from the app & the track can be opened in google maps.
    if you turn off map data / caching on the app itself it will only use gps, no data

http://www.motionx.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

eBuddy is pretty good also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Has anyone used the tv3 app? Sorry if it's been asked already but I cant search foe "tv3" it's too short

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Has anyone used the tv3 app? Sorry if it's been asked already but I cant search foe "tv3" it's too short

Type in 'tv3 app' it'll come up then. Costs €1.59 though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Brian017 wrote: »
    Type in 'tv3 app' it'll come up then. Costs €1.59 though

I ment searching on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I saw it today on top of the paid charts so had a look. Reviews arent good so gave it a miss seeing as it costs money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

I got it and find it great for catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Do you have to use wifi for catchup (it says it on the discription) or can you use 3g?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

WhatsApp is brilliant for people on iPhone, BlackBerry and Nokia.

Its allows them all to chat with eachother and only costs 79c.

It even allows chat on the Blackberry only chat service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Hope RTE brings out an RTE Player app :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Seems to be quite a bit if anger about it being bit paid and ad supported, as well as them advertising shows as being watchable that aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MotionX GPS Lite is free and you can save your tracks.

They can be emailed from the app & the track can be opened in google maps.
    if you turn off map data / caching on the app itself it will only use gps, no data

http://www.motionx.com/

looking for one that doesn't use GPS, ie for my ipod

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

looking for one that doesn't use GPS, ie for my ipod
    You would need a GPS receiver or a data connection to triangulate position. iPod only has wifi right? Therefor it's a no go

jonny_b1 wrote: »
    You would need a GPS receiver or a data connection to triangulate position. iPod only has wifi right? Therefor it's a no go
    Did you even read my question?

What sort of options have I got for run mapping via ipod touch?
    I'm guessing none due to lack of GPS, but its worth asking

This??
    Then I think my response fits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

All the ipod touch's have the Nike+ sensor built in AFAIK, the early one just needed the Gen3 software update.

That's no help though, nike is just a pedometer it doesn't map runs on the ipod as there is no GPS device.
    I was hoping map my run or similar have something free out there that does it via google maps type interface
    You can input your route manually into www.mapmyrun.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hi,

Has anyone downloaded the Guardian news app ?

I have heard that it is quite good but just want to see if it gives me more stories than opposed to just visiting the Guardian mobile site ?

Because if it doesnt offer more then there aint really a point in purchasing it.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

redout wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone downloaded the Guardian news app ?

I have heard that it is quite good but just want to see if it gives me more stories than opposed to just visiting the Guardian mobile site ?

Because if it doesnt offer more then there aint really a point in purchasing it.

Thx

I bought it. I cant tell you what it gives you over the website, because I dont use it (the website) anymore, but the app is great. Well laid out and very user friendly. I use it every day.

jonny_b1 wrote: »
    This??
    Then I think my response fits.
    No it doesn't, not even close actually.

I followed up with;

The above is quite obviously possible, maybe or maybe not it exists yet.
    but saying that you NEED GPS is wrong.
    SugarHigh wrote: »
    You can input your route manually into www.mapmyrun.com
    lol, i know hence why I mentioned map my run. In the post you quoted???

It's a pretty simply question, is there an APP that uses a mapmyrun type interface.
    Not an app that uses GPS, not a website (ie mapmyrun) as its arse on safari

Well you seem to know more about it than anyone who's trying to help you here.

Top tip: go to iTunes, search "running".

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

It's a pretty simply question, is there an APP that uses a mapmyrun type interface.
    Not an app that uses GPS, not a website (ie mapmyrun) as its arse on safari

I think what he's getting at is if you dont have GPS and you dont have 3G (for triangulation) how on earth would Map My Run know where you are at any given time?

I might be completely missing the point here but I really dont see how it would be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I think what he's getting at is if you dont have GPS and you dont have 3G (for triangulation) how on earth would Map My Run know where you are at any given time?

I might be completely missing the point here but I really dont see how it would be possible.
    3GS will only know where you are based on the nearest mast as far as I know. GPS on your exact position. 2g or whatever its called same as 3G just a little slower.

There is no other way!!

I use runkeeper by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

buy the Nike+sensor for your shoe..
    you basically calibrate it for your pace and it works off that...
    It doesn't work on the itouch 1st gen but I think that the 2nd gen and onwards all have the sensor built in so you only need the part for your shoe

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MA368ZM/D?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

I use it all the time in the gym on the treadmill and find it excellent, the website is excellently done and tracks all your runs, total mileage, fastest mile etc...really motivates me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

3GS will only know where you are based on the nearest mast as far as I know. GPS on your exact position. 2g or whatever its called same as 3G just a little slower.

There is no other way!!

I use runkeeper by the way

Yeah but its an iPod touch he's using....

I use Runkeeper too btw. Great app.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Navmii is free today. Sat Nav with Ireland and UK Maps, doesnt need a connection when you want to use it apparently as all the maps are stored on the device. Nearly 300MB download but definitely looks to be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Melion wrote: »
    Navmii is free today. Sat Nav with Ireland and UK Maps, doesnt need a connection when you want to use it apparently as all the maps are stored on the device. Nearly 300MB download but definitely looks to be worth it.

Not showing up as free for me in the app store

Advertisement