Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Apologies. Its "Navfree UK & ROI". Just go to Top 25 in the app store and its #3 in the Top Free section.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,394 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think what he's getting at is if you dont have GPS and you dont have 3G (for triangulation) how on earth would Map My Run know where you are at any given time?

I might be completely missing the point here but I really dont see how it would be possible.

I already explain it, it was pretty simple, if you didn't understand I'm not sure what you try to explain it back to me.

Once again,
    iPod has no GPS, so triangulation isn't possible.
    Tracking a run that way isn't possible, this was never a question and was painfully obvious.

I asked for a mapmyrun typr interface, that uses googlemaps.
    Mapmyrun allows manual entry of points, its a arse on the safari screen.

There is no reason, wht this can't be made into an app, even one that saves runs for offline access.
    I asked did anyone know of one. Not that simple.

Nike+ will track distance and tie, but not location, so far is the best suggestion.

jonny_b1 wrote:
    Well you seem to know more about it than anyone who's trying to help you here.

Top tip: go to iTunes, search "running".

Mellor: Hi, anyone know any apps that use google maps/mapmy run interface and not GPS to map runs.
    a: nike plus+ it
    Me: not location
    b: try this free one it uses GPS
    Me: I said with out GPS
    c: you can't do it without GPS
    Me:Yes you can,
    c: Well you seem to know more about it than anyone who's trying to help you here.
    Me: unfornuately.

Can you not see why the above is a little annoying, around in circles etc.
    Also, i already thought of searching for running, but lots and lots come up. Kepp the excellant suggestions up :rolleyeyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Perhaps you should have been more specific in your initial post.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    +1 - and stop being such an ass about it. People are just trying to understand what exactly it is you're trying to do and it's far from clear from your initial post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Mellor wrote: »
    c: you can't do it without GPS
    Me:Yes you can,
    There's your problem, you were given an answer, and you didn't like it. You can't do it without GPS in the form you want it done. Simple. If you think you can do it without GPS in app form (as you requested) then tell us how, and you'll have your own answer there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iCabbi

Hi all,

We have a new business called iCabbi which we hope will change the way everyone books taxis forever and our iPhone app was launched today.

iCabbi is safe & secure - book a taxi at the touch of a mobile button (or website). It enables people to book the closest taxi to them without having so speak to anyone.

We would appreciate any feedback you could give us. *We have noted a small bug that we are currently fixing where some people are encountering issues registering on the app and have to try twice, this isn't an issue where wifi is being used and will be fine on the next version.

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/icabbi-ireland/id386959553?mt=8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

available to all of ireland ??

sorry just checked link......see ye soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pepfcb

iCabbi wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have a new business called iCabbi which we hope will change the way everyone books taxis forever and our iPhone app was launched today.

iCabbi is safe & secure - book a taxi at the touch of a mobile button (or website). It enables people to book the closest taxi to them without having so speak to anyone.

We would appreciate any feedback you could give us. *We have noted a small bug that we are currently fixing where some people are encountering issues registering on the app and have to try twice, this isn't an issue where wifi is being used and will be fine on the next version.

Hi,

I live in Dublin but I am from Belgium and have a Belgian credit card, which is the one I used to register to iTunes. It seems that the iCabbi app is only available on the Irish iTunes Store. Is there another way of getting the app? Maybe you could forward me the .ipa file?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

Have downloaded it thanks but have also sent to my daughter as she lives in cabs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Hi all,

Downladed! Should be fun at 5 in the morning, pissed trying to order a cab on an iPhone while eating a kebab...

• Advertisement

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    Wasn't a difficult question. IF somebody was aware of an app then they would of unserstood immediately.

If there weren't aware, then it doesn't matter

I appriciate people trying to help. i honestly do.
    But saying "it can't be done" over and over is not helping. It's being a bit of a tool.

For example.
    Johnmb wrote: »
    There's your problem, you were given an answer, and you didn't like it. You can't do it without GPS in the form you want it done. Simple. If you think you can do it without GPS in app form (as you requested) then tell us how, and you'll have your own answer there too.
    Of course you can do it without GPS. Anyone can do it from any PC or laptop, none of these have GPS.

And i already told you how, via a mapmyrun type interface. If you can't understand this then I don't really know why you are telling me it can't be done.

Anyway, trawlled through the list of running apps, most were iphone/ipad only (so can't DL them on ipod) which is't ideal as some might have manual entry.
    But I found two that that work on ipod,
    mapmyrun was updated - hopefully it works better now
    i think the other was runkeeper

both have free and pais version, haven't tried either out yet, saturday prob

Oh, if anybody uses the nike+ sensor, theres an additional nike+ app available that tracks much more than the built in app. GPS data etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Downladed! Should be fun at 5 in the morning, pissed trying to order a cab on an iPhone while eating a kebab...

And, heaven forbid, your iPhone falling out if your pocket, at least you'll know which cab you were in!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cathalosullivan

just wondering if the apps on the iphone market can work on say android devices or blackberrys?

similarly, do the apps on the anroid marketplace work on the iphone?

just wondering if the apps on the iphone market can work on say android devices or blackberrys?

similarly, do the apps on the anroid marketplace work on the iphone?
    No, they all have their own markets to get apps specific to the OS on the phone. Although, some Apps will exist on more than one platform, it will actually be separate apps doing the same thing on each OS rather than one universal app.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cathalosullivan

Johnmb wrote: »
    No, they all have their own markets to get apps specific to the OS on the phone. Although, some Apps will exist on more than one platform, it will actually be separate apps doing the same thing on each OS rather than one universal app.

is there any programme on the market that would enable, say an iPhone app, to work on a Android app? If not, do you think there is a need for such a programme? I know many of the main apps on the market have both iphone and android apps but as it stands, there are over 250,000 iphone apps and only 80,000 android apps

is there any programme on the market that would enable, say an iPhone app, to work on a Android app? If not, do you think there is a need for such a programme? I know many of the main apps on the market have both iphone and android apps but as it stands, there are over 250,000 iphone apps and only 80,000 android apps
    Not at the user level. At the developer level there are tools that will convert an app into the various languages needed to save them from having to start from scratch with each one. If you wanted to do a single app that would work universally, then the only way at the moment that I'm aware of is to make a web app rather than a stand alone app that would be available in one of the app stores.

i think what there were refering to, now i may be wrong, was a emulator app.
    ie one you can open in either device to allow you to use an app for the other device.

It's probably technically possible, just like windows emulators on mac etc, but I imagine the devices are powerful to, basically, run two OSs at a time.
    Also;
    I would also guess that the android emulator for iphone is not much in demand.
    And that Apple would quickly squashed any attempt at an iphone emulator, would have to be low key, jailbreak type situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Another update for angry birds today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Hi all,

Wow, what a great idea.....
    I'm in Cork so cant try it yet. Please let me know when it is opening in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

I use the Irish taxi app it's free and great for locating nearby taxi companies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Hi

Does anybody know of an app that allows you to record whilst adding reverb or somethings similiar to the recording. Or even a sound editing app to mess around with a vocal recording???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nekdel

for old school gamers duke nukem 3d is free today

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anyone know of a free/cheap app that lets you text UK phone numbers?

I'm on 3 if it matters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Has there ever been an emulator released for snes and megadrive games?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

any one get the new cinexplayer app for playing avis on the iphone?
    any other free alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Eliot_R

There's a new app out called 'streamedy', free for a limited time. Once you get the app, you download streamedy for your computer and once synced with the ipod/iphone you can stream all of the music in your itunes library on the ipod. Essentially this gets around the limited memory of the ipod. At the moment I can't download it for my computer cos they don't have streamedy for mac yet. Could someone with a PC give it a try and see if it really works cos it sounds almost too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Bryn wrote: »
    Has there ever been an emulator released for snes and megadrive games?
    Not yet, in any official capacity. I don't think that they'd get past Apple approval.

There are only emulators for Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and a couple of games from the Mega Drive era (official games from Sega) that I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

has anyone tried the new free domino's pizza app? order any pizza right to your door by a touch of a button, i like it! :D it has a pizza tracker too :D

it also doubles as a phone book :) as every address i know comes up when you partially enter it!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

TapTrace Pro - free today normally $3.99 (excuse the dollars I'm in Oz!)

• Advertisement

BrianJD wrote: »
    Hi

Does anybody know of an app that allows you to record whilst adding reverb or somethings similiar to the recording. Or even a sound editing app to mess around with a vocal recording???

Thanks
    There is a sound reversing appp, think its called reverso or similar. Free too.

Advertisement