Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Reeder is not free but is an excellent app, well worth however much I payed for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

darsar wrote: »
    I just received an email from a guy with an attached excel sheet he wants me to fill in and return.

Is there a way this can be done on iPhone? I'm hoping there is an app..

DocsToGo or Quick Office Connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Game Dev Story

iTunes Linky
    Addictive game.Feel kind of sad that with the amount of time I put into this app I probably could have learned how to make a real game myself!

Thanks for the recommendation, got it the other day and I'm hooked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 immad

The best app to put on the phone is Download Meter. It is the best traffic track I have ever tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

corklad32 wrote: »
    Anyone know a good free rss reader app? Preferabley one that you can use with multiple rss streams in one window like google reader. Problem I find with google reader is that once you open a full article it opens a new safari tab and then u have tobscroll back to find the main reader page whereas with an app u cud use activator to switch quickly between app and safari
    I liked "free RSS Reader", it's a good starter - quite basic.
    I've recently changed to xFeed, which is a bit more polished and allows you to break the feeds up into categories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Any good innovative apps out there that aid learning/education for teenagers/students...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

just a question about the eirtext and jellysms apps...

ive been using the eirtext app for about 2 weeks and am pretty much out of all my texts now,is there anyway of getting more?

also,is there really much advantage in upgrading to the pro-versions of these apps?

my-cool-sms...

is anyone using this?my girlfriend is going to madrid after xmas for a few months studying and this would be ideal for sending cheap texts internationally.

basically im wondering is it a decent app?is it reliable?3c a text sounds pretty good to me.do the texts expire at all?
    she doesnt have an iphone,is this a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Towermadness is free for a limited time. It's a tower defence gameand seriously addctive and fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What about the Cydia apps? I just unlocked and am wondering what to download and if any are worth paying for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

Just started playing Trainyard - addictive 79c and you have to use your brain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

barryd09 wrote: »
    my-cool-sms...

is anyone using this?my girlfriend is going to madrid after xmas for a few months studying and this would be ideal for sending cheap texts internationally.

basically im wondering is it a decent app?is it reliable?3c a text sounds pretty good to me.do the texts expire at all?
    she doesnt have an iphone,is this a problem?

I haven't used this app but it wouldn't matter that your girlfriend doesn't have an iphone, she'll get the texts as normal on her phone.

Are you using O2? If you use O2 as your network you can send 200 free texts every month to destinations anywhere in the world. The eirtext app will allow you use your iphone to send these texts. If you aren't using o2 you could get a sim from them and top it up with a tenner every 5 or 6 months and use the 200 free online texts every month. You don't need to put the sim in your phone to send free texts from that network with eirtext.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

The absolute best app out there for all the ladies is : period tracker. God it's brilliant, don't know how I managed before it! Basically it counts down to when you'll get your next one and lets you type in your symptoms for each day so you can analyse everything each month.

Guys if you had periods youd be obsessed with them too! "ha jim only 5 days, mine was 7..."

I haven't used this app but it wouldn't matter that your girlfriend doesn't have an iphone, she'll get the texts as normal on her phone.

Are you using O2? If you use O2 as your network you can send 200 free texts every month to destinations anywhere in the world. The eirtext app will allow you use your iphone to send these texts. If you aren't using o2 you could get a sim from them and top it up with a tenner every 5 or 6 months and use the 200 free online texts every month. You don't need to put the sim in your phone to send free texts from that network with eirtext.

cheers for that,considering getting herself a 2nd hand 3gs for xmas for when shes in madrid,cant imagine the spanish networks are cheap for texting here either.
    vodafone is the business,the give 600 texts a month dont they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The absolute best app out there for all the ladies is : period tracker. God it's brilliant, don't know how I managed before it! Basically it counts down to when you'll get your next one and lets you type in your symptoms for each day so you can analyse everything each month.

Guys if you had periods youd be obsessed with them too! "ha jim only 5 days, mine was 7..."

What's it called? iBleed?

barryd09 wrote: »
    cheers for that,considering getting herself a 2nd hand 3gs for xmas for when shes in madrid,cant imagine the spanish networks are cheap for texting here either.
    vodafone is the business,the give 600 texts a month dont they?

I don't think they offer free texts to international numbers but I might be wrong.

You should get her the iphone alright. You could use PingChat then. It's free and allows free texts on a network between apple devices. It lets you send as many free texts and picture and video messages as you want to anywhere as long as the recipient is part of the Ping network.I find it great.:)

I don't think they offer free texts to international numbers but I might be wrong.

You should get her the iphone alright. You could use PingChat then. It's free and allows free texts on a network between apple devices. It lets you send as many free texts and picture and video messages as you want to anywhere as long as the recipient is part of the Ping network.I find it great.:)

the 600 texts from vodafone are international alright.
    that ping sounds great,definetly an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

vlc player is now available for ipod touch and iphone. won't install on my ipod touch 2g, i think its about time for me to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Discovered the free m48 app yesterday - a full version of the HP 48GX calculator that uses the actual HP ROM, so all the functionality is there. The new "Don't Panic LE" skin is my favourite so far.

If you want a powerful programmable graphical calculator, but can't afford the $150 that a new HP 50g costs, this might be for you. It uses Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) by default, but also does more friendly "algebraic" calculations if needed (put it in single quotes). You can download the HP 48GX manual from HP.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

mailrewop wrote: »
    vlc player is now available for ipod touch and iphone. won't install on my ipod touch 2g, i think its about time for me to upgrade.

Its so good. No more converting videos to compatible formats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Posted in the wrong thread!!

Sherlock Holmes Collection - Free today

Also VLC Player...my favourite Media player is available free also...will probably deem my CineXPlayer obsolete!

Great Tank War is free as well...downloaded it and played it for a good 15 mins in the toilet! Well worth a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Fitness Builder down from $9.99 to Free for the next 3 days. Its a hefty drop and seems to have received good reviews so worth a download I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Loos a bit pointless tbh, was never worth $9.99
    Any one goes to the gym doesn't need 200+ workouts. Most will be a waste of time,

Also to use a lot of the features (listed on ituens), you need to pay a subscription monthly or yearly, to an outside site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Plants vs Zombies is now down to 79c.

Brilliant tower defence game from Popcap.

TapTrace app is now free at the istore for a limited time. It's an app that allows you trace your idevice if it's lost or stolen. There was a thread about it a few days ago.
    If you haven't already got it and have an iphone 4 of ipod 4G you should. Among the updates their planning during the next few weeks for those devices is :
    4. For iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th Gen - the ability to secretly take pictures of the person who has your device and transmit them to you.

That would have to be the best reason to have a camera on your phone or ipod that I can think of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I have found having taptrace on in the background all the time eats battery. So I have tried turning it on and off as the situation dictates

And it is inevitable that the one time you lose your phone will be the one time you don't have it activated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Is it just me or is there a serious lack of decent apps in the last while?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kilnacash

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

muletide wrote: »
    I have found having taptrace on in the background all the time eats battery. So I have tried turning it on and off as the situation dictates

And it is inevitable that the one time you lose your phone will be the one time you don't have it activated

But I thought you leave it off, then when you lose the phone you log on the website send the text, the text activates the tracker on your phone.
    If you were to leave it on all the time it would decimate the battery.
    Hope someone corrects me on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    But I thought you leave it off, then when you lose the phone you log on the website send the text, the text activates the tracker on your phone.
    If you were to leave it on all the time it would decimate the battery.
    Hope someone corrects me on this.

Thats what I presumed too. Leaving the app turned off and activating it from the website works fine.

Advertisement