Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

iCabbi wrote: »
    Launched today in Dublin & Cork and building taxi numbers all the time (so please be patient if you can't get one the first time of use). Our viral video has had over a thousand views in a day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YcesQXBC58

Good luck with App. Spelling mistake on homepage "hightest"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,398 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quick one, don't want to bother with a new thread.

iPod touch was stolen, thinking about replacing it. Is it ok to go ahead now, or are they any updates in the next few months (eg xmas update) that I should wait for.

Previous was 16gig, wasn't full, prob would fill a 32gig. So should i bother going for the 64gig (even with movies, i store them on my pc and only put them on to watch every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Mellor wrote: »
    Quick one, don't want to bother with a new thread.

iPod touch was stolen, thinking about replacing it. Is it ok to go ahead now, or are they any updates in the next few months (eg xmas update) that I should wait for.

Previous was 16gig, wasn't full, prob would fill a 32gig. So should i bother going for the 64gig (even with movies, i store them on my pc and only put them on to watch every now and again.

See here

The iPod Touches were only updated in September so you are good to buy now.

Save yourself a €100 and get the 32gb imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kevster1

try TomTom US and Canada, downloaded it in advance of a trip there (I also have the UK/Ireland version) and used it in a rental car in NYC and Toronto areas in September - worked great. I removed it on return home as it is quite large and meant I had to remove some music (temporarily) on my 16GB 3GS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

There's a free (ad supported) version of Super KO Boxing 2 in the app store. Really enjoying it, one of the better games I've played on the iphone. It's effectively a Punch Out clone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,398 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dubmick wrote: »
    See here

The iPod Touches were only updated in September so you are good to buy now.

Save yourself a €100 and get the 32gb imo.
    Knew they were updated in sept, meant a software version, i'm traveling and its a pain to sync to a pc, hmmm, or could use my work pc

think your right about the 32gig/e100...settled imo

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

http://www.simplypostcards.net/index.html

New App I discovered today and it's free! Suitable for Iphone and Ipad

Basically when you want to send a postcard you take a photo, or use photo on file, edit and/or frame photo if you wish, flip the photo, write your message and recipients address then email to site. They guarantee to print and post for you. Cost outside US is 2 credits, 1 credit = $1.99 less the more you buy eg $30 = 30 credits. However, when you download this free app you get 1 credit, then when you set up your account in "redeem code" section type appshop3 and you will get another 3 credits.

I had an earlier problem with this and support could not have been more helpful, it was a wifi issue. I have since sent a postcard also one on way to me, will post up review when it arrives.

There is a more detailed explanation on www.appshopper.com

Now why didn't I think of this??

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

I got an iPhone4 about 10 days ago and so far I have downloaded the following apps (mostly free, a few pay ones):

Voice Changer Plus - Does exactly what it say on the tin, got it for the kids, I swear
    Sky+ - Can view the programme guide, and remote record on my sky box
    Graffiti Ball - Game, spray paint on the wall to build a path for your ball
    Paper Toss - classic game, throw paper in a bin
    Ragdoll Blaster - physics game, fire ragdolls from a cannon to hit a target
    1942: First Strike - classic arcade shoot-em-up game
    Angry Birds - birds in a catapult, knocking down evil green pigs. Brilliant!
    3D Brick Breaker Revolution - BreakOut style game in 3D
    Doodle Kart Lite - drive a tiny car round a doodled track
    Solitaire - the card game
    Mr.AahH!! - stick figure jumps from platform to platform, addictive
    Slayer Pinball Rocks HD - pinball game, with music from Slayer
    Train Conductor - drive trains to their destination, without crashing
    RTÉ Pocket - all the RTÉ stations in one app
    RTÉ Radio 1 -
    Today FM -
    Grab Radio World - loads of radio stations from all around the world, ability to tag a song playing and download from itunes
    RTÉ News Now 3G -
    Battery Master Free - check the status of your battery, how long left doing various tasks
    EirText - use your online free texts direct from your phone, up to 600
    facebook - official FB app
    foursquare - official 4sq app
    Echofon for Twitter - good twitter app
    WhatsApp Messenger - free messages between smartphones
    Disneyland Paris - planning family trip next year, when there gives you waiting times for rides
    Irish Rail Intercity Train timetable -
    Pumps.ie - user updated prices at petrol stations around the country
    Alarm Clock Free - nice neon green look
    iHandy Flashlight Free - various coloured lights, also uses photo flash for bright light
    That's it so far, but continuously downloading more. Loving this thread as I keep coming back here for other ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

barryd09 wrote: »
    my-cool-sms...

is anyone using this?my girlfriend is going to madrid after xmas for a few months studying and this would be ideal for sending cheap texts internationally.

basically im wondering is it a decent app?is it reliable?3c a text sounds pretty good to me.do the texts expire at all?
    she doesnt have an iphone,is this a problem?

Try nimbuzz, free messaging and calls, i use it with her abroad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

any good football manager games worth getting?
    something reasonable in depth (options,features etc)

thanks people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

barryd09 wrote: »
    any good football manager games worth getting?
    something reasonable in depth (options,features etc)

thanks people

CM11. Better than Football Manager, at least in my opinion. Has alot of depth, fast, responsive,easy navigation.Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

iCabbi wrote: »
    Launched today in Dublin & Cork and building taxi numbers all the time (so please be patient if you can't get one the first time of use). Our viral video has had over a thousand views in a day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YcesQXBC58

Cheers, ill download it now. Also, very good viral :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JimmyR

Is there an app to improve coverage on iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

JimmyR wrote: »
    Is there an app to improve coverage on iphone
    no its not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JimmyR

oh right thanks. Should Wi FI improve your reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

JimmyR wrote: »
    oh right thanks. Should Wi FI improve your reception?

Completely unrelated. If you are talking about data, you may well get a better service from your wifi than network, but it's a different supply, not an improvement to your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

iConcertCal is an app that's only available in the US store, but if you can get your hands on it it's brilliant.

It basically scans your iPod and finds gigs by the bands therein that are near you.

You can sync it with your iTunes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Anyone got any advice on setting up a US account to download some of the apps unavailable over here?
    Such as last.fm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Has anyone had any trouble with the Bord gais think beyond app?

The electricity in mine wont work, i put in the setting but then says they dont match..

(MPRN and Account number dont match)

Im looking at the feckin bill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Darksaga87 wrote: »

The electricity in mine wont work, i put in the setting but then says they dont match..

How long ago did you switch over to Bod Gais for your electricity? Maybe it just takes them a while to update their servers.

• Advertisement

Johnmb wrote: »
    How long ago did you switch over to Bod Gais for your electricity? Maybe it just takes them a while to update their servers.

think it was march.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Darksaga87 wrote: »

Mine is working fine mate.

O2 my account app stupidly took away being able to see what you have spent outside your bill in their app update. :mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

CMpunked wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice on setting up a US account to download some of the apps unavailable over here?
    Such as last.fm etc.

You will have to do this without a US credit card, so here you go. Of course without an itunes US voucher you won't be able to buy anything so will just have to use free apps.

One tip though, for the address, zip code etc look up something like a hotel and use that address and zip code. It's a lot easier that way.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

You will have to do this without a US credit card, so here you go. Of course without an itunes US voucher you won't be able to buy anything so will just have to use free apps.

One tip though, for the address, zip code etc look up something like a hotel and use that address and zip code. It's a lot easier that way.

Enjoy.

this is cool,just opened a us account myself!!anything really worth downloading from us itunes?

will things like the paypal app actually work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

You are an absolute legend! :D
    If i could thank your post 1000 times i would!

Enjoy.

I picked a particular address. Wonder will anyone recognise where it is? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

driver is currently free for a limited time, not sure how long for. there's a special advent calender giveaway every day until christmas. there will be more free stuff just keep an eye on gamelofts twitter page for more offers http://twitter.com/gameloft

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/01/gameloft-advent-calendar-offers-free-iphone-android-games-until/

edit: just saw that each deal only last 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

New update available on the Halloween Angry Birds :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

-viber app-
    Anyone using viber? New app for calls (txt's soon) like Skype but no username/login (uses your number like Whatsapp). Basically looks like this is what Whatsapp is missing (the actual call feature). Of course Whatsapp is great and you'll need that for IM/pic/vid/location/contacts sharing...
    Haven't used viber yet so would like to hear experiences...

-consume app/quotalite app-
    For the VF pay monthly customers with consume (doesnt work anymore) try quotalite (does work)
    -edit-
    It seems consume now works again, but I think the "cost since last bill" feature still doesn't work (shows €0.00 while quotlite shows the same as myvodafone)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

Hi,
    Although these are not new apps. I would appreciate any option on which is the better app to buy. Eirtext pro or Jelly SMS

I tried the free versions but they have there limitations. Which one is more reliable
    Im leaning towards jelly SMS as it is similar to apple's.

• Advertisement

Soot-fan wrote: »
    Hi,
    Although these are not new apps. I would appreciate any option on which is the better app to buy. Eirtext pro or Jelly SMS

I tried the free versions but they have there limitations. Which one is more reliable
    Im leaning towards jelly SMS as it is similar to apple's.

Eirtext was created by a developer that uses boards and can help with any issues.

Quality app and a helpfull dude.

Advertisement