Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standard of Driving on Different Roads...

• 20-01-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Lane discipline etc

Excellent M4 (Dublin-Galway)
    Middling M1
    Terrible M7,M50

Strange there's such a difference .The age of the road is hardly relevant is it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ytareh wrote: »
    Lane discipline etc

Middling M1
    Terrible M7,M50

Strange there's such a difference .The age of the road is hardly relevant is it?

Brutal throughout the country.

I've noticed a trend over the past year though where people now queue on the right, to go straight ahead. People seems to have collectively forgotten to "KEEP LEFT" !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ytareh wrote: »
    Lane discipline etc

Middling M1
    Terrible M7,M50

M1, 7 & 50 are much busier than M4 I would suggest therefor much more traffic in Both lanes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

M11 gets worse the farther south you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

M1 drivers are hopeless at this until it gets to dundalk and then everyone keeps left (Northbound). Southbound is good from border to M1 toll.

M4 is empty mostly and generally good. One thing, as you go more west you get slower and slower drivers, particularliy entering the motorway. Very good Eastbound.

M6 new and empty

M7. The correct use of lanes is not obeyed until after Monasterevin exit Southbound and absolutley hopeless Dublin bound from Portlaoise to Dublin.

M8. Very good generally but often empty.

M9. New and empty.

M11. Laughable in each direction it is that bad.

I feel I am ranting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

This is interesting. I've wondered how different countries even counties can have different driving styles. For example, the UK is generally far more advanced than us in terms of driving attitudes.

I have a theory that it's down to leadership and perhaps a certain critical mass of a style of driving (good driving in this instance) will draw other drivers into line. Probably weighted better in favour of a good driving style. Would probably take a bigger negative critical mass to make otherwise good drivers turn into tossers.

This would make sense if this thread is correct. If in fact some corners of the country 'posess' drivers that have a particular driving style then it would seem to be down to the dominant driving style becoming the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sleipnir wrote: »
    People seems to have collectively forgotten to "KEEP LEFT" !
    They have forgotten? They never knew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

One thing that I've noticed is that Dublin drivers will use either lane on a standard roundabout to go straight on, even if there's only one lane off it on the other side.

That NEVER happens in Waterford, so occasionally you'll see an out-of-towner bombing up the right lane to go straight on, and then getting a nasty surprise when the drivers in the left lane on the roundabout see them as "cutting in".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

A creative use of lanes approaching roundabouts I've seen is when there's a queue to turn left, someone will drive up the right lane and go all the way around the roundabout and take the fifth exit (on a standard 4 exit one) to go left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

robbie99 wrote: »
    A creative use of lanes approaching roundabouts I've seen is when there's a queue to turn left, someone will drive up the right lane and go all the way around the roundabout and take the fifth exit (on a standard 4 exit one) to go left!

am guilty of this one myself, a bit cheeky I know but perfectly legal! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Have to say I do that myself if theres 10+ cars waiting to join the roundabout. I only picked that trick up from a friend recently!

Generally the busiest motorways are the worst, M1 approaching Dublin, M50 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

cc wrote: »
    am guilty of this one myself, a bit cheeky I know but perfectly legal! :D

I also do this. (sometimes) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've been driving on the M1 more or less everyday since it opened and the standard of driving between Drogheda and Dublin gets worse and worse.

When it finally opened from the Airport to Balbriggan I was usually the only driver going at the speed limit and had the outside lane to myself most of the time (obviously going in and out when safe to do so). Very rarely would I get passed by anything, and then it usually had a yellow plate on the back.

As time went by and more folk when on this fancy new road, more and more cars get on and go straight in to the outside lane to chug along. I now spend about 90% of my time on the inside lane going 1km/h slower than the idiots in the outside lane, driving too close toghether and breaking every 5 seconds. I'll usually make it to my exit only to end up behing the tool who went over the hash marks entering the motorway and straight in to the outside lane.

I'm guessing that the better driving on the roads in the OP are on the newer stretches of Motorway. The M50, M1, M7 and M11 are all around a while now even if they've only recently been transformed from N roads to M-Way. I was on the new M8 last November and only had to cancel the cruise control once each way from the start to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

robbie99 wrote: »

I do the opposite at the south Bray exit on N11 frequently enough. Large queue to go right, take first exit, across bridge, around other roundabout, across bridge again and back onto first roundabout. Its usually quicker if there more than about 6-7 cars turning right :o

Advertisement