Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DD-WRT or Tomato firmware ? (need to flash my router)

• 20-01-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi

I have a Buffalo WHR-G54S, whilst all my other PS3 games work online I cant play uncharted 2, as my PS3 needs to be set to Nat type 1 or 2. Ive port forwarded the router, gave my PS3 a static IP address and enabled DMZ, but no matter what I do I cant get NAT 1 or 2.

I was told flashing my router with one of the above firmwares would let me do this, and that the firmware's have way more features. From what I understand DD-WRT has the most features but is harder to use and not as stable, where as tomato has most of the more popular features and is more stable.

Any idea which one I should go for ?, and how risky is flashing the router ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

You've probably tried these guides

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Buffalo/WHR-G54S/WHR-G54Sindex.htm

Flashing the firmware shouldn't be too tricky but you might want to make a backup of the existing firmware first. If none of it works you should (hopefully) be able to flash back to the original firmware.

I've only played with Open-Wrt myself but based on what I see here you could try upgrading to DD-WRT and if that doesn't work you could try Tomato as this is a guide to change DD-WRT to Tomato.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware)/Installation_and_Configuration#Migrating_from_DD-WRT_Firmware_via_Windows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

default username and passwords are good

for DD-WRT it is root and admin
    for Tomato the password is admin

Have the password reset routine to hand on your pc in case .

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Johnick

machalla wrote: »

Yup, useless.

Btw, Ive downloaded the Tomato firmware for the Buffalo routers, there's supposed to be 2 files tomato.prx and tomato-nd.prx but Ive only got tomato-nd.prx (which according to the read me isn't for my router ?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

I'm using Tomato on a Buffalo WHR-G54S and have nothing but praise for the combination. Excellent traffic graphing, QoS facilities, straightforward but powerful user interface - and the only time I've rebooted it in 3 months is when my UPC connection went down for 5 minutes, was nothing to do with the router.

If you want a router that just works, go for Tomato.

the_law wrote: »
    I'm using Tomato on a Buffalo WHR-G54S and have nothing but praise for the combination. Excellent traffic graphing, QoS facilities, straightforward but powerful user interface - and the only time I've rebooted it in 3 months is when my UPC connection went down for 5 minutes, was nothing to do with the router.

If you want a router that just works, go for Tomato.

Youve got the same router as me so, Ive downloaded both the Linksys and Buffalo packs and for some reason the Linksys pack (the first one) has the file Im looking for in it, tomato.prx ?.

Is it as easy as going into the buffalo's config page and updating the firmware from there ?, just a little paranoid as I don't wanna brick my router.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Johnick wrote: »
    Is it as easy as going into the buffalo's config page and updating the firmware from there ?, just a little paranoid as I don't wanna brick my router.

It is, honest.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is, honest.

ok so, just a bit Paranoid.

Advertisement