Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Telephone Lines

• 20-01-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,

Appreciate any advice you may have in dealing with eircom and the removal of phone lines. I'm embarking on the renovation of a 150 year old terraced house beside the sea. The only thing is the view I payed for is obscured by these wires that are attached to my house even though I'm not a subscriber of eircom nor have any plans to do so. Their site alteration office assure me that they are entitled to be there but I'm not 100% sure why :confused:

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Are you sure the line is serving your house only?
    Eircom are usually quite accomodating if you need to get a line buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 brethren

Hi,
    One is connected to my house but a further 3 pass over my garden right in front of my front window. (It'll be an upside down house).
    I spoke to a guy in eircom and he said it'd cost 340euro for them to have a look at it before they'd do anything.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Western_sean

I have heard people say that it's easier to get a result from eircom should the wires you are interested in moving suffer from an accident during construction.

I'm not advocating damaging the phone network or anything now I'm just passing on what I've heard.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You bought ther place knowing that these lines where there and overhead.You could have walked away from the purchase.

They are Eircoms lines and connect up to other properties and not just yours so I dont think you have a leg to stand on.

And even if they were to be damaged,then Eircom will come out and put them back up.

If you did damage them,then you most probably will be had up in Court by Eircom for vandalism and other offences and also sued for alot of money for repair and replacing work..

I say just learn to live with it and accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 I'm

I think there is general agreement that the ESB is more accommodating than Eircom in terms of work to their plant - Eircom will undertake work, but it will be at your cost.

I got a quote a while ago for the move of 1 pole and putting the line underground between the remaining two - €4.5k, we were responsbile for ducting between the remaining poles.

I've heard so many times on different sites the suggestion that should an 'accident' occur with their plant, Eircom will be obliged to fix the problem; I would be very wary of this approach, Eircom state in their letter that ( bold is theirs )

Please also note that the plant in question is and remains the property of eircom. We would therefore caution you against attempting to move it without eircom’s consent.

Another thread ( can't find the reference ) queried the legality of having their plant on your land and them not complying with your wishes, but I think you would be on a long and hard road owing to the ramifications for Eircom if a precedent was set.

Might not be applicable in your area - but sometime a local councillor may be assist depending on their connections ( no pun intended ) - again not always the case, but something to check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 brethren

paddy147 wrote: »

I say just learn to live with it and accept it.

That's the can do attitude! :P The whole house was falling apart and infested so your right I bought it in that state but have elected to do something with it!

I'm,
    Thanks for that tip, will see what "connections" my councillor has, have no problem paying for work but am reluctant to get fleeced!

Advertisement