Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stupid copyright Q

• 20-01-2010 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

when your copyrighting your pictures how do make the copyright symbol:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You scroll down this page, highlight the symbol there, copy and paste in.

Job done - easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Draw a big circle and a C inside?

On a Mac it's Alt + G... I think it's Ctrl + Alt + C on Windows? Maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Technically (speaking as a law student involved with IP) - you do not need to mark your work in order to gain copyright protection (as an aside).

Putting the (c) sign in just warns others that you may prosecute if others infringe on your rights.

Personally, if I need the real (C) symbol I'll write it in word/wordpad etc and then copy/paste it into whatever it was I wanted to put it into.

If you are concerned about copyright infringement - for legal purposes it would be a good idea to insert your full name, date of creation and the (c) symbol for completeness. But as I mentioned above, copyright automatically vests in the creator without a need to register or mark the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

thanks guys

Just to clarify - though not strictly necessary, it is always better to put the (c) symbol in along with your name and date of creation if you think the work has personal/monetary value.

Better to be safe than sorry and putting the (c) in takes away a defence an infringer may have in terms of not knowing that the work is copyrighted.

Sites like pix.ie - by default put in the (c) sign below your photo and informs viewers that all rights are reserved and the photo/image is copyrighted. This can be enough to strike a happy balance between watermarking (and potentially defacing your work) and informing others of your rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

To make the © symbol in Windows or indeed Photoshop on a PC.
    Hold down the ALT key and then using the key pad, type the numbers 0169 then release the ALT key.

© :D

© woot! even works on the laptop's fake numpad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Thirdfox is right, it's unnesiccary. It was required, along with the year of creation of the work, for a while by U.S. intellectual property law which is probably why people seem to think it is somehow meaningful.

I wouldn't bother doing it if I were you, it just looks tacky and pejoratively amateurish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Don't bother with it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

© hehe I'm going to put this in front of all my posts from now on - so you lot better beware if you quote me:D

• Advertisement

© hehe I'm going to put this in front of all my posts from now on - so you lot better beware if you quote me:D

That probably falls under "fair dealing" under copyright law ;)

Plus, I haven't read boards.ie terms and conditions (have you? :D) It could state that by using this private forum you agree to license all works created are now owned/sub-licensed to boards.ie...

In fact here are the boards.ie terms of use:
    7: The content you post on Boards.ie

You are solely responsible for your conduct and any Material that you submit, post, and/or display on Boards.ie. You agree not to post Material contrary to these Terms of Use. We may, but are not obliged to, remove or limit access to Material from any user which breaches these Terms of Use.

By posting any Material on or through Boards.ie, you grant us a limited license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Materials in connection with Boards.ie or the promotion thereof.

The license you grant to us is non-exclusive, royalty free and fully paid, sub licensable, and worldwide.

You are responsible for making sure that you have all rights to what you post, including the rights necessary for you to grant the foregoing licenses to same.

You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Material posted by you or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of the Material does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person.

You agree to waive any moral rights in your Material for the purposes of its posting on Boards.ie and the purposes specified above.

You agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owing any person by reason of any Material posted by you to or through Boards.ie.

You agree that your Material displayed on Boards.ie may continue to appear on Boards.ie, even after you have terminated your user privileges or have had your user privileges terminated by Boards.ie.

Facebook recently was in a kerfuffle over this (they wanted to keep user uploaded images after the user had closed their account). Backed down to the Canadian government I believe. People have been less inclined to raise a fuss over boards.ie's new t&c's ;)

And for those who are interested in copyright 101 - here is a pretty good website that I've just found:
    http://www.cai.ie/faq/index.htm
    You can find out what boards.ie means by "moral rights" too ;) and ironically how boards.ie's waiver may not be adequate in users from claiming moral rights over their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Thirdfox wrote: »
    People have been less inclined to raise a fuss over boards.ie's new t&c's ;)

I wouldn't say that...

Oh I meant as in, it hasn't attracted newspaper and media attention in the way that Facebook has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

In windows there is a handy little tool called Character Map,

Start>All Prog>Accecssories>System tools.

Every font on your PC will now be displayed and every character the font supports will be displayed also. It will copy to cipboard as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I have often seen the © symbol and the Photographer's name carefully inserted in the Copyright field in FILE INFO / IPTC headers, but no clue how to contact the Photographer to obtain permission / agree terms!
    Remember to insert a Mobile No. (With International code) and an e-mail address, that way there are no excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 amandakola

quick question...
    say i'm out with friends and one of them takes a bunch of snapshots of us all.
    then posts them on facebook, tags me etc.
    then six months later, deletes them from facebook.
    but i happen to have them saved on my computer too.
    can i now post them on facebook myself? what could the most serious consequence for that be? legal action, or would she first have to just ask me to remove them [which of course i would].

are they her property? facebooks? does the fact they are images of me and have been tagged as me in the past have any bearing? [i'm guessing no].

and what about the copies i have saved to my computer, do i have permission to email them to others? can i email/post them so long as i credit her name?

and what about pictures i would have taken, on her camera? who has rights to those?!

haha i'm not actually involved in a petty photo scandal, but a friend of mine kinda is, and it just got me wondering!

amandakola wrote: »
    quick question...
    say i'm out with friends and one of them takes a bunch of snapshots of us all.
    then posts them on facebook, tags me etc.
    then six months later, deletes them from facebook.
    but i happen to have them saved on my computer too.
    can i now post them on facebook myself? what could the most serious consequence for that be? legal action, or would she first have to just ask me to remove them [which of course i would].

are they her property? facebooks? does the fact they are images of me and have been tagged as me in the past have any bearing? [i'm guessing no].

and what about the copies i have saved to my computer, do i have permission to email them to others? can i email/post them so long as i credit her name?

and what about pictures i would have taken, on her camera? who has rights to those?!

haha i'm not actually involved in a petty photo scandal, but a friend of mine kinda is, and it just got me wondering!

If you have legal "hypothetical" questions - you can always try the legal discussion forum where we talk about the issues involved (quite a few law students, barristers, solicitors lurking around there).

Not legal advice (especially as I'm not yet a qualified lawyer) - but in this hypothetical case it would appear that in the case that A takes photos of B, and B uses those photos without permission then A can get a court injunction to prevent B's use of A's images (A owns the copyright to the images, B owns the image rights to his/her face - but in a non-commercial situation that is not relevant). Of course, asking for permission in the first place is more desirable, and if there is technical infringement simply asking the person would be better than going to court ;)

Copyright is such that even if she "gave" you those photos, unless explicitly stated, she did not give you the rights to republish them elsewhere. Again, we are talking about technicalities as this situation is really only seen mostly in a commercial context.

For works created using the equipment of others - unless she was employing you to take photos using her equipment copyright would vest in you. As for facebook and ownership of photos I believe the user agrees to sublicense their photos to facebook to be used by them in their terms and conditions? I haven't read it (and I suspect most people haven't either).

Email others? Yes, technically one needs to have the permission of the copyright owner to pretty much do anything that further publishes the work.

^ just to emphasis that this is all technicality... for example if someone touches me (or even makes the motion of touching me) this can be construed as assault and I can sue and press criminal charges in court... but in reality, no-one does that (plus the judge would take a dim view of these cases).

so common sense over technicality - but technically the law is rather strict on what can and cannot be done with copyrighted works.

Advertisement