Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know of a pub that doesn't allow children ... ever?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Myself and the OH were in the Market Bar on Fade Street in Dublin last week and we counted at least four babies/toddlers (with their parents). It got me thinking about where you could go in Dublin for a drink if you didn't want to listen to/see children.

Liverpool has The Philharmonic, a-strictly-no-children-at-any-time-of-the-day-or-night pub. Does Dublin have anything similar?

BEFORE I GET A TORRENT OF ABUSIVE

I understand

1. That it's hard for a family to find a half decent place to go for a meal these days that isn't McDonalds and doesn't serve alcohol.

2. That children are allowed in pubs until 7.30pm

3. That the Market Bar has the best buggy parking facilities for a restaurant/bar/establishment in Dublin/Ireland/possibly the world!

4. That people with children DO have lives!

I just think that a pub is a very adult place and I think it would cool if there was just one where I could go in the knowledge that it would be childfree.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Dublin City forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Oooops! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I don't know of any. Would they let you in? Your attitude is a bit childish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

place on lower leeson street call angels that probably wont allow kids in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The George.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't recall ever seeing kids in Mulligan's, but I can't say I was really looking for them.

I would imagine old style 'oul' lad' pubs wouldn't have many kids in them.

Ha Ha!

Doesn't anyone else ever want to have a drink in peace or a chat with friends without having little ones running around?

I've nothing against children in pubs/restaurants, just wondering if there's a pub that has a no-child policy!

@lightening: what attitude? *shock* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, spurious is right, just use a bit of cop. The Long Haul wouldn't have kids in it, or maybe strip clubs.

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, spurious is right, just use a bit of cop. The Long Haul wouldn't have kids in it, or maybe strip clubs.

Cool! I'll suggest the next meet up with the girlies is in Lapelllo or Angels!!!

Good suggestion on The Long Haul and Mulligans, will try them.

Just wondering has any pub actually put their neck on the line and banned children... just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Harry Byrnes on the Howth Road never allows children in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm sure there are loads. Just look around.

The Market Bar is widely accepted (to everybody I know anyway) as a place you can bring kids during the day.

I have a kid and I used to go there often before I had him and didn't find it annoying, so maybe you had a unlucky day (give it a try it again) or you're highly intolerant of kids (find somewhere more suitable for you).

stovelid wrote: »

The Market Bar is widely accepted (to everybody I know anyway) as a place you can bring kids during the day.

I have a kid and I used to go there often before I had him and didn't find it annoying, so maybe you had a unlucky day (give it a try it again) or you're highly intolerant of kids (find somewhere more suitable for you).

I used to go to The Market Bar all the time (until I discovered Pintxos in Temple Bar yummy yummy tapas!!!) and there have always been tons of kids in the place and I can see why, it's very accessible for people with buggies. I don't have kids but I imagine it can be a nightmare trying to find a decent place that serves decent food with room for buggies etc, so many places seem to ban them on health and safety grounds.

Some people might think I am intolerant of children because I am looking for a pub with no children but is it really so much to ask? Kids are allowed EVERYWHERE, can't we have one place that is just for adults? Just a thought!

Market Bar isn't really a pub though, more a restaurant with a bar at the side! Incidentally what do the kids eat? Do kiddies like tapas these days? Far cry from a fizzy drink and a packet of crisps!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jos28 wrote: »
    Harry Byrnes on the Howth Road never allows children in

I've had my children in Harry Byrnes.

OP, its very dodgy for a pub to refuse to allow children on its premises unless its a private member's club, why?.. Because a publican is given a licence to serve the public.

Even pubs who put a time of 7pm for children are in violation of the law as families (including minors) are allowed on the premises until 9pm unless hot food is being served, in which case its 10pm.

But thats not answering your question, no I don't know any pub which has a no children policy, thank God.

OP, its very dodgy for a pub to refuse to allow children on its premises unless its a private member's club, why?.. Because a publican is given a licence to serve the public.

Even pubs who put a time of 7pm for children are in violation of the law as families (including minors) are allowed on the premises until 9pm unless hot food is being served, in which case its 10pm.

But thats not answering your question, no I don't know any pub which has a no children policy, thank God.

Thanks for that Amirah Spicy Watchband, i was wondering if it was legit. I know some English pubs can have this policy but was wondering about here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Thanks for that Makikomi, i was wondering if it was legit. I know some English pubs can have this policy but was wondering about here!

Try look for somewhere with less children than other pubs, I just can't think of any with an absolute no children policy.

Some of the hotel bar's around the city center can by pleasant places to spend with your OH without screaming children running around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The Bachelor inn.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

It would probly be ageism and illegal

Probably...

Ah well *sigh* I thought it's be nice to have just one pub!!! Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Liverpool has The Philharmonic, a-strictly-no-children-at-any-time-of-the-day-or-night pub. Does Dublin have anything similar?
    ]
    Ah The Phil, what a fine place indeed.

So? eh, what about over 21's pubs/clubs? dont ever hear any prosecutions in regard to these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Went to Davy Byrnes during summer 2008 with a well-behaved five year old along with 6 other adults during the day and was told that under eights werent allowed on the premises prior to ordering a drink. [Some of the group had arrived 5 mins earlier and already ordered drinks].
    Haven't been back since mainly becaus they were extremely snotty and heavy-handed about it. Went to the Westbury instead.

I wouldn't think that kids in bars is all that big of a problem in Dublin.

From my extensive knowledge of drinking in all sorts of places around central Dublin, I'm stuggling to remember running accross that many kids. Coffee shops/restaurants a fair bit but bars not so much.
    stovelid wrote: »

Would agree with this - Market Bar is pretty much the only place that springs to mind when I try to think of toddler/baby friendly bars in Dublin. I think I even saw in on a list of baby-friendly places in the papers a while back (want to say Irish Times magazine but not 100%)

Also a lot can depend on the children in question - sometimes you have parents who just adopt a laissez-faire approach to children in public and irresponsibly let them run wild while you have other who would fall into the more traditional seen-but-not-heard camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Myself and the OH were in the Market Bar on Fade Street in Dublin last week and we counted at least four babies/toddlers (with their parents). It got me thinking about where you could go in Dublin for a drink if you didn't want to listen to/see children.

BEFORE I GET A TORRENT OF ABUSIVE

I understand

1. That it's hard for a family to find a half decent place to go for a meal these days that isn't McDonalds and doesn't serve alcohol.

2. That children are allowed in pubs until 7.30pm

3. That the Market Bar has the best buggy parking facilities for a restaurant/bar/establishment in Dublin/Ireland/possibly the world!

4. That people with children DO have lives!

I just think that a pub is a very adult place and I think it would cool if there was just one where I could go in the knowledge that it would be childfree.

I dont know what area your looking for, but there is a pub in crumlin called Sheary's which has a no kids policy, nice enough boozer with friendly people but it might be out of the way for ya??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

I know Sheehan's on Chatham Street doesn't allow buggies. Place is too small really. Which I like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont know of any that have a no child policy, but it would be nice to find a few that have a 'this is a pub, not a playground, keep your brats children at your table not charging around trashing the place. They are your responsibility not ours' type policy.

I hate when certain (probably the majority, but not all) parents allow their kids to do what they want in the pub and ignore them for the duration while the rest of us valianty try to explain to our kids why they cant do the same.

Still, when this started to bother me I voted with my feet and I now never go near a pub on the weekend afternoons if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Gaspode wrote: »
    Dont know of any that have a no child policy, but it would be nice to find a few that have a 'this is a pub, not a playground, keep your brats children at your table not charging around trashing the place. They are your responsibility not ours' type policy.

I hate when certain (probably the majority, but not all) parents allow their kids to do what they want in the pub and ignore them for the duration while the rest of us valianty try to explain to our kids why they cant do the same.

Still, when this started to bother me I voted with my feet and I now never go near a pub on the weekend afternoons if I can help it.

You think so? I disagree but I would certainly agree that the minority that do allow their kids to run riot give everyone else a bad name. My kids know that at all times they are one false move away from being marched out and brought home without any discussion. It has happened and they didn't like it.

OP, The Dawson Lounge is for fairly obvious reasons out of range for anyone with a buggy. It also serves a grade "A" pint. Much of my pre-kid life was invested in that hallowed establishment.

Gaspode wrote: »

I totally agree with what you're saying here, I've been to pubs and restaurants and there have been a lot of kids there and I've never noticed really but then one child is left to their own devices and it ruins everyone’s experience including the people who have extremely well behaved children as you have pointed out above.

I once had a child try and take something off my plate in a restaurant! The parents thought it was "sooo cute... what a hoot!!!" I just smiled and went back to my meal and my company, I know better than to say anything! No one appreciates anyone who doesn't have children complaining about children!

I will try out some of these suggestions some Saturday afternoon and see how I get on and just for the record I am not anti-kids just some times I want to enjoy a pint without the distraction of children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I will try out some of these suggestions some Saturday afternoon and see how I get on and just for the record I am not anti-kids just some times I want to enjoy a pint without the distraction of children.

I feel pretty much the same, but when it comes to them being in pubs, kids are like farts - you can just about tolerate your own!

Enjoy your quiet ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some people might think I am intolerant of children because I am looking for a pub with no children but is it really so much to ask?

Not at all, but if this is the case, you couldn't find a less suitable place than the Market Bar.

Have to say I don't see the issue in Dublin city centre. Restaurants and cafes perhaps, but it's always seemed very easy to me to find places to drink in Dublin without kids around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

They must not have liked the look of mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the Long Stone in Townsend Street.

I'm not so sure about this. any business is allow discriminate against people under 18 and pubs can set a minimum age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Pubs may discriminate on age grounds but it must apply to all patrons.

E.g. They can't say no to one 18 year old and then let another in.

Citywest hotel used to have one part of the lounge as an adult only area. - Maybe its something larger pubs could look at. - Bar part - adults only, lounge area - all welcome.?

Advertisement