Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know of a pub that doesn't allow children ... ever?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

91011 wrote: »
    Pubs may discriminate on age grounds but it must apply to all patrons.

E.g. They can't say no to one 18 year old and then let another in.

Citywest hotel used to have one part of the lounge as an adult only area. - Maybe its something larger pubs could look at. - Bar part - adults only, lounge area - all welcome.?

I think you're on to something here 91011, I think this would be a good compromise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

91011 wrote: »
    Pubs may discriminate on age grounds but it must apply to all patrons.

E.g. They can't say no to one 18 year old and then let another in.

Citywest hotel used to have one part of the lounge as an adult only area. - Maybe its something larger pubs could look at. - Bar part - adults only, lounge area - all welcome.?

When I was a nipper, kids were never allowed into the bar except for very short periods, e.g. to tell their dad that mammy said it was time to go. Even the wimmens didnt go in there, they drank in the lounge with the kids (and the whipped men!).

lot to be said for that methinks. (the kids bit I mean, no point going to the pub if there's no women)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsKitka

Just a thought...

If it's babies and toddlers you want to avoid then any pub that is upstairs or downstairs from the ground level, has narrow and dirty toilets, is hard to move through, etc.... No parent in their sane mind will willingly negotiate the stairs, narrow catwalks and dirty toilets with a pram and/or nappy bag and mountain of baby gear.

The point about bars serving food allowing kids is irrelevant. No sane parent worth his salt will be at the pub with their young children, especially babies and toddlers, past 5PM. It takes time to get home, change nappy, feed, bathe and put to bed so no danger of running into young children in the pub after work.

Just an afterthought... if you're gonna want to 'ban babies and toddlers', why not go whole hog and ban all minors, old people, the fat, the infirm, the terminally stupid, foreigners, people with red hair and soccer fans?

I hate stupid door policies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

MrsKitka wrote: »
    Just an afterthought... if you're gonna want to 'ban babies and toddlers', why not go whole hog and ban all minors, old people, the fat, the infirm, the terminally stupid, foreigners, people with red hair and soccer fans?

Oh get off your high horse, the OP already stated clearly she doesn't hate kids. We all want a nice break sometimes and it is perfectly acceptable to not want to be sitting in a noisy pub full of children when all you want a quiet pint. Parents and kids can go almost anywhere that that is accessable here, I don't see why there is a problem to have a couple 'havens' in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I dont think anyone mentioned banning babies or toddlers, it was you who brought that up. The original question was not about banning, simply a query as to whether there are any pubs that dont allow children.

And as my dad is a rotund 75yr old wheelchair-bound Yorkshire man, who is proud to still have a mop of ginger hair, banning him from the local pub when his beloved Leeds are on TV would kill him altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Never thought about it before, not a huge fan of people's adorable kids at the best of times (bubble snot is cute- who knew?) but a favoured pub of mine, The Font Lounge, doesn't see much kids. No to Gay Adoption!

Geeze don't be so reactionary! I don't want anyone to be banned! Just want to escape once in a while!

While I appreciate your suggestions of going to a dirty pub I don't think I should have to. I wonder how often you go to pubs (I think from your post above that you might be refused entry a lot!!!) especially as you think any parent "worth their salt" will have left with their kids by 5pm.... I'd say this equates to 1% of parents who take their kids to pub. I have regularly seen kids in pubs (not just The Market Bar) well after 5pm....7.30pm...10pm

efb wrote: »
    Never thought about it before, not a huge fan of people's adorable kids at the best of times (bubble snot is cute- who knew?) but a favoured pub of mine, The Font Lounge, doesn't see much kids. No to Gay Adoption!

Ha ha ha! I can't remember ever seeing kids in the Front Lounge that's true!

Went to the Dawson Lounge this weekend - Thanks for the suggestion! Cool place and kid free too!

Cheers for all your suggestions!

In fact, I've never been refused entry at a pub, bar or club.

And 10pm is too late to have young children in a pub .... unless you're in Spain at a terrace cafe on the plaza and you're on holiday.

Just wanted to report back to folks, I was in the Dawson Lounge again this weekend and tripped over a buggy on my way in, I kid you not! (No pun intended!) It seems it's popular with tourists who regularly traipse in and out for a pint with kids in tow!

I've given up the search!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

Doyles on Fleet St. dont allow kids as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

OP, its very dodgy for a pub to refuse to allow children on its premises unless its a private member's club, why?.. Because a publican is given a licence to serve the public.

Yes and you've forgotten the important bit which also entitles them to reserve the right to refuse admission. Which we all know they can apply to basically anyone they don't feel like having on their premises at any given time. And to be fair, your average p1sshead has been known to cause less racket than Mummy and Daddy's little treasures so why not turf them out instead?

That said, can't say I know of any children who ask to go to the pub so it's not a dodgy pub who refuses them Amirah Spicy Watchband but a dodgy parent who sits there with a p1ssed off child surrounded by p1ssed off punters whilst they neck pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

having three kids myself, I have a good ability to filter out any child-associated noises...having said that, when you are ina pub and there are OPKs annoying you, a good method to get them to stop is to 'accidentally' trip them up and when you bendo down to pick them up, give them a swift kidney punch. Invariably they give you a wide berth after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Do you know of a pub that doesn't have Rats ... ever?

Myself and the OH were in the Local Bar on in Dublin last week and we counted at least four Rats. It got me thinking about where you could go in Dublin for a drink if you didn't want to see Rats.

Liverpool has The Philharmonic, a-strictly-no-Rats-at-any-time-of-the-day-or-night pub. Does Dublin have anything similar?

BEFORE I GET A TORRENT OF ABUSIVE

I understand

1. That it's hard for Rats to find a half decent place to go for a meal these days that isn't McDonalds and doesn't serve alcohol.

2. That Rats are allowed in pubs until 7.30pm

3. That the Local Bar has the best Rat breeding facilities for a restaurant/bar/establishment in Dublin/Ireland/possibly the world!

4. That people with Rats DO have lives!

I just think that a pub is a very adult place and I think it would cool if there was just one where I could go in the knowledge that it would be Rat free.

Not taking a swipe at the OP but I was perplexed the whole way through reading that as to what the problem is with Kids being in Pubs to the extent that finding one that is not blighted becomes an earnest mission!

- Decided to edit in something I happen to find repulsive and a threat to my own enjoyment and relaxation in an effort to understand.....

Advertisement