Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to avoid (sh*tholes) ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Dunno, The PApers are sayiun that 'Underbelly - The Golden Mile' is gonna be about Brisbanes Valley during the Sir Joh Years, 'Coruptus in Extremis'.

And this may cause a bit of Consternation amongst some of trhe Posters, but I'd put the Valley in the list of Sh*tholes to be avoided.
    No objection here. The Valley is to bogans what Mecca is to Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Man whatever you do don't drive on the Nullarbor Road(main road that connects SA to WA, its a boring ****ed up place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Man whatever you do don't drive on the Nullarbor Road(main road that connects SA to WA, its a boring ****ed up place.

Any road you can drive on for 28 hours from start to finish is going to be pretty boring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

shane86 wrote: »
    Here we go :rolleyes:

Ah now come on. Fighting is commonplace at bars in the suburbs and in every rural town but lets be honest, actually seeing a drunken brawl in O Connell Street is very rare.

The Irish bars here are a bit rowqdy but generally its people who know each other fighting. Sydney West is a bit of a kip but being honest it hasnt a patch on Finglas and the like. In saying that though there are alot more aggressive junkies and general lunatics wandering Sydney than back home.

Hussey- always reckoned the Coogee Beach Hotel only has a bad rep on that assault list because of the sheer size of it. Must have one of the largest capacitys in Syd, of course it will have more assaults. Its a great night out though, wouldnt put me off.

That makes it alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    Most places in Oz are dangerous...if you want them to be. (cocs & spiders)
    :cool:

Avoiding spiders is good advice in Australia. The other item is pretty much always best avoided if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Avoiding spiders is good advice in Australia. The other item is pretty much always best avoided if you ask me.

What never sure you can pat them and all.

IMGP0095.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Dunno, some people are big fans of the Cocs :)

not me personally but shur theres no accountin for taste

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hey, it took all my willpower not to quote that earlier.

It a pity Steve Irwin is no longer with us, he was a big Coc activist.
    Too many people eating Cocs is what the problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Jumpy wrote: »
    Hey, it took all my willpower not to quote that earlier.

It a pity Steve Irwin is no longer with us, he was a big Coc activist.
    Too many people eating Cocs is what the problem was.

Who needs willpower when a cheap "coc" joke is available?

And i see what you did there, you tagged on 2 above average "coc" gags of your own.

And I liked it! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

District_9 wrote: »
    What never sure you can pat them and all.

IMGP0095.JPG

Hello Gertrude!

I call all Huntsmen Spiders "Gertrude" after a certain patient we had at work. These are wonderful beasties which are no bother at all. Have a pic somewhere of a Gertrude which is 17cm across. In the next pic she is feeding on a tasty Cockroach.

I see that Rockhampton has been getting a bit of a slagging here. It's an interesting town alright. I did an external study course through the University there & went up for some Prac Sessions. First night in the place, a Sunday, I went to a Pub which was open & was having a beer & looking at a couple playing Pool. When he went to the Jacks she started to chat to me. Turns out they were not a couple, he was just trying to get into her knickers by buying her drinks. He had no hope as she was a lesbian. Anyways .... her & I became quite friendly & she introduced me to her "Dyke Mates" and I got a tour of the town. Yes it is a Redneck Wonderland but with the right crowd that can be a lot of fun, though will keep those stories away from here.

I have not lived in Sydney for a long time but it seems that some things have not changed. Some areas out in the West can be quite confronting. There are certain Pubs that used to always be the centre of things. The "Comb & Cutter" was one and was normally referred to as just the "Cutter" for reasons other than it's name alone.

Coogee Bay Hotel has had a reputation for years as being a bit wild. Sounds like it's much the same as normal. Was not unusual to get a stabbing in A&E on a Sat night/Sun morn from there. This was in the early 80's. The rest of Coogee is a nice enough place though. Laughing at someone who is a Bra Boy is probably not wise, though I have heard that there are a lot more who claim to be Bra Boys than there really is.

Certain area's around Bankstown/Lakemba have always been trouble. Cabramatta was also a place to be careful, it is often called "Vietnamatta" as it has a large ex-pat Vietnamese Community. I found it a great place for shops & food etc. but it used to be a big Heroin dealing area too.

If you are in tune with where is safe/dodgy here in Ireland then you will also be fairly right in Australia. The "Aussie Culture" is influenced a lot more from it's Irish roots than the British.

If you are sitting next to Chopper then it's more likely you are at a Writers Festival than a Rough Pub these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I call all Huntsmen Spiders "Gertrude" after a certain patient we had at work. These are wonderful beasties which are no bother at all. Have a pic somewhere of a Gertrude which is 17cm across. In the next pic she is feeding on a tasty Cockroach.

You have to post that, this is the largest spider I have seen in Oz and managed to get on Camera so far. Sometimes the locals who are prone to embelish the truth a bit talk of spiders in Queensland in the Banana fields that would cover a man's whole back. While this may be true I need pictures with a reference (like a 50 cent coin).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I will dig out the pics when at home.

A couple of shots for you. Taken in my Kitchen in November 2005

Huntsman_01-a.jpg

Huntsman_04-a.jpg

See how useful Huntsmen Spiders are, they feast on Vermin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

hussey wrote: »
    Redfern is very dodgy.

100% agree, used to get train to work from there for a bit, it was redfern or walk to central! Thought the steel toe work boots would save me if they attacked me....

Alot of junkies there, & all are begging for a fag or change or....your life ha

Then again, i found the beggars & junkies more polite & grateful than beggars elsewhere in the world, just me opinion tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Hahaa, well picked up. Realised after i posted that i mispelt it but the mispelling doubled in meaning thankfully!!

Might also wish to watch out for crocs! Which apparently are increasing in size gradually, however, im not sure about cocs!!

Advertisement